Guitar Cable Quality

MisterGuitarMan

Silver Supporting Member
I would like to know what you recommend for quality guitar cables. I have been playing acoustic guitar for about 30 years. I used to play electric guitar when I was younger and am now getting back into it. I recently bought a Les Paul and I have been using a 30 year old cable, so I thought I would try out a new cable to see if it would sound better.

I went to a local store and bought 2 10' cables and some short cables for pedals. When I plugged in one of the 10' cables it generated a high pitch squealing noise and I was quite surprised by that. So I tried the other 10' cable and it worked fine. I am thinking about returning all of the cables and going with a different brand. I paid around $31 for each of the 10' cables and thought I was getting better quality. The brand is Livewire Elite.

I am using the cables to play in a band at my church.

What brand do you recommend?

How much should I expect to pay for a high quality cable?

Does the length make much of a difference? If you go with a 15' or 20' cable will it make a difference in the sound?

Floyd Eye

Mogami Golds. There are more expensive and less expensive. Lots of them come with lifetime warranties. All I know is the Mogamis are excellent. I have had mine for 6 or 7 years of pretty constant gig use and never had a single issue. I think they were around $50 for an 18'.

Guinness Lad

All kinds, Joe Naylor makes something called Armour Gold, those aren't that expensive and sound very good, the other which is a good cable is Canare GS6 cable which can be purchased on ebay.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I still like George L's - just soldered up a few more with Switchcraft ends. I think they sound great, and they hold up extremely well.

GuitarMD

I am a huge fan of Neutrik silent plugs. When you unplug your guitar, you don't get that terrible buzzing/crackling stuff plus they are very solid connectors.
- Spectraflex N-flex
- Livewire Elite's with the Neutrik Silent Plug is excellent

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Careful not to fall down the Snake Oil rabbit hole, especially if you're primarily a live player. That added $100+ "made from gold off King Tut's hoo hoo" cable ain't gonna mean squat once your drummer hits the first cymbal of the set.
Sure, there are differences in capacitance and such, but if you're playing a $300 cable in a bar band doing Stones covers, I've got some beach front property in Iowa to sell you-haha

dmutter

Mogami Golds are amazing. Great sound, great quality. Always my number one choice. Very expensive though.

For you, I'd really recommend some Planet Waves. They make pretty good cable too and it's not that expensive (in my mind probably one of the best quality for price options out there). The American Stage or the Custom Series will both be plenty good for what you're doing. You should be able to find those at most guitar stores, especially at Guitar Center.

If you are adventurous you can get the components needed to make the Mogami cables and build it yourself for a fraction of the cost. If interested, message me and I'll put you in the right direction.

And technically length can make a difference, but likely not huge enough for what you're doing to worry. Get the length you need. Usually 10 feet is enough for playing at church as you're not usually moving around tons on stage. I have a pair of 10s and a pair of 20s, depending where I play and how much length I need to reach my amp. Whenever possible I just use the 10's though cause it keeps things nice and clean and doesn't add any un-necessary cable length to my signal path.

Last edited:

sneaker-bud

planet waves. lifetime warranty. reasonably price. awesome build quality. no need for more expensive cables.

copper is copper. this is science. any differences in tone is because they increased capacitance. impossible to decrease copper's capacitance.

this isn't to say you can't enjoy one cable's tone more than another, but you might be able to replicate that difference with just your guitar's tone knob.

cber1517

Careful not to fall down the Snake Oil rabbit hole, especially if you're primarily a live player. That added $100+ "made from gold off King Tut's hoo hoo" cable ain't gonna mean squat once your drummer hits the first cymbal of the set.
Sure, there are differences in capacitance and such, but if you're playing a $300 cable in a bar band doing Stones covers, I've got some beach front property in Iowa to sell you-haha

"King Tut's hoo hoo" :spit I'm using that one!

Stonergrunge

Rattlesnakes are easy to recommend.

http://www.rattlesnakecables.com

I'm very interested about these cables but I would like to read more experiences from you and from other members of the forum about them. The two most important things for me about cables are low capacitance and high quality shielding.

Besides Rattlesnake, I've been looking this Sommer cable. Please let me know what you guys think about it: https://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_ca...earch_rslt_sommer+the+spirit+XXL+3.0_199044_1

scolfax

I'm very interested about these cables but I would like to read more experiences from you and from other members of the forum about them. The two most important things for me about cables are low capacitance and high quality shielding.

I'm not a cable sound connoisseur, but my Rattlesnake cable sounds as good as my Fulltones. The Rattlesnake is clearly more rugged, that outer sheathing is tough.

Floyd Eye

Mogami Golds are amazing. Great sound, great quality. Always my number one choice. Very expensive though.

For you, I'd really recommend some Planet Waves. They make pretty good cable too and it's not that expensive (in my mind probably one of the best quality for price options out there). The American Stage or the Custom Series will both be plenty good for what you're doing. You should be able to find those at most guitar stores, especially at Guitar Center.

If you are adventurous you can get the components needed to make the Mogami cables and build it yourself for a fraction of the cost. If interested, message me and I'll put you in the right direction.

And technically length can make a difference, but likely not huge enough for what you're doing to worry. Get the length you need. Usually 10 feet is enough for playing at church as you're not usually moving around tons on stage. I have a pair of 10s and a pair of 20s, depending where I play and how much length I need to reach my amp. Whenever possible I just use the 10's though cause it keeps things nice and clean and doesn't add any un-necessary cable length to my signal path.

There are far more expensive cables. By TGP standards these are cheap.

My idea when I bought these (Years and years ago now) was to never buy another cable. I outfitted my board with the 6" 90 degree Mogami Golds as well. I bought 2 18'ers and 6 or 7 of the 6''ers. Total bill was around $200 and I haven't bought a cable since. Of course I only use one of the 18'ers because of my G50.

That said I have heard real good things about the American Stage cables and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I was on a tight budget.

swiveltung

Any decent name brand. I never spend over $20, but it's been so long since I've needed one they may be $25 now!
If you want the crem de la crem get a cheap coily cord.... that's what Hendrix used....

Leftyman

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with an earlier post about the rabbit hole. I will say that I never gave much thought to cables and thought for the most part it was all BS. I don't believe that anymore. Cables do make a difference. Doesn't mean you need to spend a ton of money to get good cables though.

For patch cables I use mogami cable and pancake jacks however, I really don't think patch cables are going to make a huge difference. The cables going to and from your board are going to be more important in my opinion. I ultimately settled on Pete Cornish cables. A little more than I felt comfortable spending however, they are worth it. Great sounding cables. My only complaint would be that they sometimes don't lay real well on the floor.

As far as length of cables, yes, they are going to make a difference although it is slight. You might notice a decrease in highs with longer cable lengths and cables that have a higher capacitance. Capacitance levels differ with cables and this is what is more important vs. length in my opinion. A 20 foot cable with a lower capacitance will most likely sound the same as a 10 foot cable with a higher capacitance.

OilsFan

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, I would like to know if any of you have tried this particular model from Sommer, it's advertised as a cable with a very low capacitance: https://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_ca...i_300.htm?ref=search_rslt_sommer+LLX_382286_3

Yes the LLX is a great cable. Built well and sounds great. It's a 21 awg cable with a larger diameter at just over 7mm but still very flexible. The other Sommer cable is the Spirit XXL a 19 awg cable at about 6.5mm diameter and even more flexible yet with a bit higher capacitance. Both cables are excellent.

Full disclosure I am a Sommer dealer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom