Guitar Cables - which is the best brand ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MrB, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Tiny -

I should have said that it's sort of microphonic when it's moved - as long as you are stationary it sounds great. Moving around is what creates the noise; the cable itself doesn't generate any noise and sounds real good.

In other words, it sounds great if you're sitting, but once you get up and start moving around, the cable sliding across the floor creates noise you can hear through the amp.

Thanks, Dana O.

2. koa

koa Supporting Member

I've had great experience with lava coil cables. Look cool and sound great!

3. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

bl's
    bill lawrence

4. korby

korby Member

My experience is the more you pay the quicker they fail , probably paying for the life time warranty . Sweetwater Pro Co Musicmover 120si have lasted the longest and cost the least .

5. IbanezEtc

IbanezEtc Member

Korby has it right IMO. I won't talk sound quality unless we're dealing with cables that crackle or aren't made for instruments. I wrap the amp or pedal ends of every cable with a 3-4" length of cardboard and tape it so they bend at a gentler angle at the ends.

Planet Waves: Warranty covers defects.

$35 Circuit Breakers (solderless) - best cable available IMO. Thick, DIY fix takes 2 minutes using a knife and a screwdriver. Make your own patches of any length.

Monster: Misleading warranty. In the past, you could take them back to the music store and have them replaced. Now, you have to mail them to Monster with a receipt.

$50 Legacy Rock - They break at the ends like every other cable. I'll make a few people angry right now by calling total ******** on them sounding better to the ear than any other decent cable. I'll give them this, they're thicker and less likely to break if it gets caught under a pedal and you step on it. Last time I returned one was 6 months ago, kept the replacement new in the package so I can sell or trade it.

S-100: Might as well not have a warranty because shipping to Monster costs as much as the cable itself. Because of the rubber ends, I'll have to cut mine open to see if I can re-solder it. Junk in my eyes.

Lava: Warranty covers defects, but they don't cover your cable once it's been discontinued.

Patch coils - absurdly useful if you can afford $25 for one.
    Regular coils - overpriced IMO. I like the Vox ones more and I think the Vox ends are better.
    Solderless - bigger hassle than the Planet Waves and more expensive.

Musician's Gear: No real warranty.

I use them as backups to my Planet Waves, and I use my $50 Monster as a backup to these. Love the tweed. Love the price ($15 for two 18.5' on sale). Easy to solder.

6. Classic09

Classic09 Member

The best brand for me is Mogami with the 2425 cable (is that gold?) for guitar to pedalboard and board to amp but then EA Monorail (SIS kit) for my main board (I use Mogami on my second board)

I've used a wide range of others and Mogami are just what I find to be the best for the longer runs.

7. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Road Hog cables for me. Durable, good price and sound great. What else do you need?

8. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Prestige.;)

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

No Best just different. I'm a Lava devotee. They have lots of great stuff, build quality is great and they stand behind their products. Stay away from the cheap low quality stuff and you should be fine with whatever rout you go.

10. idma

idma Member

I keep hearing planet waves. But which ones? There are obviously run of the mill cheap-os

11. IbanezEtc

IbanezEtc Member

These $30 solderless "circuit breaker" ones are what I'm talking about. You can buy ends separately, or a big kit that consists of a long length of cable and a bunch of ends to make your own custom sizes.

Planet Waves isn't the only company that makes solderless cables, but they're probably the most widely known and used. The cable itself is thicker and heaver than generics like Fender, but not as thick as the expensive Monsters. Obviously they don't hum or anything like that, there's no sound disadvantage vs soldered cables.

Here's a video showing how they work...they're demonstrating using a different type of cable, but the principle is the same. The ends are held on by a screw. If the cable wears out (like most do from being bent at your output or amp jack), you just take the end off, cut an inch or so off the cable, put the end back on and it's fixed.
    http://youtu.be/SYjVwHENtR8

12. oxtone

oxtone Member

Evidence Audio Lyric HG

Best sounding cable I've ever used in 43+ of playing guitar.

13. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Armor Gold! Built for nuclear wars.

14. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

Yea, I like Evidence Melody for my Strats, hears the guitar just right IMO.

15. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

16. echodeluxe

echodeluxe Member

hahahaha what

17. OmmNom

OmmNom Member

I love Death Valley cables.

18. echodeluxe

echodeluxe Member

this is insane. youre insane.

everyones ears/preference differs.

19. reussen2907

reussen2907 Member

I am not really into the super high-end cables, but have had great luck with Klotz LaGrange cables. Lately, I bought a PRS guitar cable.. simply to try it out. It's actually a great cable! It's flexible, so I don't trip over it on-stage and it is very "neutral" sounding. Doesn't add or detract (as far as I can tell) too many frequencies.

PRS collaborates with VanDamme Cables. Been gigging them for a couple of weeks now. Nice stuff!

20. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Echo, it's fine to have differing opinions, please be civil