Guitar capacitors

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Sparky6string, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I recently replaced a couple of ceramic capacitors in my guitar with two polyester film caps, keeping the values the same. There is a sound difference, but I'm wondering what others think about either capacitor. Are either of these considered good options?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I usually replace the ceramic disc caps in my guitars with quality parts - Sprague Orange Drops in my particular case - and also notice an improvement in overall sound.

It's a fast and inexpensive way to boost your guitar's sound a bit.

--chiba

3. rooster

rooster Member

I picked up a big ol' bag of Sprague Vitamin Q caps from the 50's or 60's, the big silver ones with the clear tubing over them. They absolutely sound different than any other type of cap I've tried. Paper-in-oil is fantastic on a nice guitar with a good amp.

rooster.

4. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I recommend RS Guitarcaps by Hovland from RS Guitarworks www.rsguitarworks.net or better yet get one of their RS Kits.

5. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer

You know what's funny? I have bins full of those sozo capacitors, so I thought I would try them - AND THEY POSITIVELY ROCK!

Thinking I was some freaking genius innovator - I checked on the LP forum, before I posted my 'new' discovery, and found out --- IT'S COMMON KNOWLEDGE. A number of LP players already use the Sozos.

6. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Interesting. Care to sell a few?

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

So....what did you notice and at what pot positions and with what cap values?