• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Guitar Center....ARGH!!

Just gotta vent a little bit,

I just got back from a local guitar center and had the stupidest thing ever happen. I go in there with $150 cash + plenty in the bank hoping to get some new stuff (Jam man looper for practice and possibly a fulldrive 2)..I grab a $700 strat off the wall and start playing around on some amps then I decide to go over and test the pedals that I want to purchase
I go up the the sales clerk and ask if I can try out a digitech Jam man to see if I like it and the response i get is a flat "No."
after a long pause I say, "well theres one on the floor can I get a cable and an amp to plug it into?" he goes "well yeah..thats what there there for." While hes hooking up thes stuff I go back to the wall and grab the strat I was using because I want to test out the equipment through a decent guitar (not the pieces of crap they always have over in the accessories dept) and when I get back over there He literally grabs the guitar out of my hands and says "No, Not that one, these guitars arnt allowed on this side of the store..they get banged up." and then runs around and grabs me a $200 Shecter...I told him politely that I'd return the guitar when I was done with it and that I just wanted to test out the equipement with a decent guitar but he just ignored me and brought the strat back to the wall..
At this point im kinda getting pissed...all I want to do is try out some pedals and I want to do it with a guitar that dosen't sound like a piece of crap. So there I am with the schecter, Jam man, and Roland Micro Cube surrounded by 2 other people wailing on with the boss pedal rack..Finally I just walked out. That salesman lost my sale and respect today..i don't think im going back for a while..

Luke

First off, highly doubtful he made that policy but is doing what his boss told him to do.

I highly doubt he was looking for your respect.

Not going back for a while? Why not just never go back?

I think I've been in Guitar Center five times over the past decade, almost exclusively to waste time while someone else was in the store next door.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
1) You should have talked to the manager. Immediately.

2) Sounds like a bad salesman, not store. No sense in biting your nose to spite your face.

jtm622

That stuff happens everywhere where floor "sales" people are not on commission - not just at GC. Remember, those guys are basically just "order takers", now...
That said, I have found that the best times to go to GC if you want better service are Mon - Fri...

dantedayjob

I think that was a misinterpretation of policy, I have taken $2k PRSi anywhere I wanted within a GC and never gotten a second look... Whenever crap like that happens, wherever you are, TALK TO A MANAGER...then IF the manager doesn't see reason and pi$$es you off, talk to corporate... even if you never go back you have made it better for the next guy.

Now, FWIW, the only GC I have ever been to is in Birmingham, Al.. it's pretty much like going into a mom and pop store, the service is very personal and the customer service/satisfaction level is excellent... I don't know what the salesman/management is like in other GCs

waylay00

I always hear these Guitar Center rants, but I've yet to have a bad experience at the ones I've been to (Memphis, Nashville, Little Rock). They are always very friendly and easy to deal with (although you do get the occasional unknowledgeable sales rep) . In fact, in Memphis, our Guitar Center has the best selection of gear, except for a store that I won't mention (talk about some real jackasses; it's a shame, because they have really nice gear).

Anyways, sounds like you should have just gotten a manager.

all very true..I totally should have talked to the manager..I just thought it was so stupid, i've taken guitars over there before tons of times..

Headstock

After reading this I say the thing that you should be most upset about is leaving the store without telling your story to the store management.

If you took the time to tell us your story, why would you not take the time to tell the manager? They are the only ones that can remedy your problem.

EDIT - just saw your reply, I would not hesitate to call the store/or go back on Monday, if nothing else you can build a relationship with the manager.

Road King

Silver Supporting Member
I equate GC to the musician as I do Home Depot to the builder. Cheap prices on some stuff. Hopefully you know what you want when you go in and don't really have to ask anyone any questions and always be careful that you aren't paying less because it's an item manufactured exclusively for them with cost cutting methods. But I was in GC today for a while. Good place to kill time.

telejammer

I've always had good shopping experiences in my local GC, They have aways bent over backwards to let me try anything I was interested in , including some very high end amps and guitars, just last week they demonstrated 4 differeant powered mixers and 5 sets of pa speakers for me and I did not buy anything that day. I been in other stores where the guy stands on top of you all the while you trying something out, but GC seems to be very easy going so I do buy there often, and with the 30 day return policy, you can return an expensive purchase if its not working out for you.

boogieman90

I've always had a good experience @ GC, but I developed a sales relationship with a salesman who eventually became the manager. Go to the boss, let them know you're a serious customer and not a looky/lu, and they'll take care of you. I only buy something every 4th or 5th time, but still get good treatment.

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
If testing out equipment with a "decent" guitar is that important to you, take your own guitar into the store with you. That's what I do when the guitar matters.

--chiba

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
all very true..I totally should have talked to the manager..I just thought it was so stupid, i've taken guitars over there before tons of times..
Just wanted to say that there is no such policy about the guitars being in accessories of the guitar floor or whatever. If you want to bring a $3,000 dollar les paul over to accessories to play it through a Jam Man, you can.

Sounds like the sales guy was having a bad day and probably needs a new job.

bynt

Man screw that. You can always be nice to people. I will say though that a call to the manager letting him know that you were about to drop some cash at his store but asshat screwed the pooch might be in order.

I agree with Chiba too though. I almost always try to play stuff with my own guitars. That really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Wesman61

Silver Supporting Member
The GC here in Boise used to have a Hotrod Deville next to the effects section. Now they have it setup so You try everything through headphones. That just doesn't work for Me.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
I have no problem with GC wanting to take better care of their inventory. Bring your own guitar or ask politely for something similar. Maybe the person could have been more diplomatic but its a store full of extremely expensive merchandise, not your personal playpen. This whole GC "I grab X and start playing around" attitude is f**king nuts and they were idiotic to encourage it. I'm totally in favor of putting product in someone's hands so they can try it, but the whole GC romper room experience is ridiculous. Respect the gear and the employees and they will return the favor.

andrekp

I have no problem with GC wanting to take better care of their inventory. Bring your own guitar or ask politely for something similar. Maybe the person could have been more diplomatic but its a store full of extremely expensive merchandise, not your personal playpen. This whole GC "I grab X and start playing around" attitude is f**king nuts and they were idiotic to encourage it. I'm totally in favor of putting product in someone's hands so they can try it, but the whole GC romper room experience is ridiculous. Respect the gear and the employees and they will return the favor.
Amen. I remember going in to buy a guitar once and I went through all five they had in stock (of what I wanted) and every single one of them had some MAJOR ding, or was actually broken. They need to STOP just letting anybody pick up whatever they want and start jamming away for hours on end with no purpose. This is a STORE, a BUSINESS, not a park.

Then, maybe when they get that loss under control, they can stop being anal about letting legitimate testing under more imaginative parameters take place.

I say if you want to seriously test something at GC, then set it up with the manager, or bring your own gear.

ThugLife

All the gc complaints here, why does everyone keep going back?!??!?! I don't understand it!!!!!

Rob Sharer

Muso-Luthier
All the gc complaints here, why does everyone keep going back?!??!?! I don't understand it!!!!!
Maybe because they use their monstrous corporate buying power to keep other stores from getting the very stuff folks want to buy.

Rob

Trending Topics