Guitar Center Gibson Les Paul Custom 68 repro

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rhollyday, Jan 6, 2008.

1. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone played one of these? Any opinions? Here are the specs:

Highly figured maple top
    Solid mahogany back
    Multi-ply white/black binding on top & back
    Gold hardware
    ABR-1 bridge, stopbar tailpiece
    1-piece mahogany neck w/long neck tenon
    22-fret bound ebony fingerboard
    Pearl block inlays
    Rounded neck profile
    24-3/4" scale length, 1 11/16" nut width
    Kidney bean tuners
    57 Classic humbucking pickups

The guitar sounded pretty nice to me..and it was easy to keep it in tune, unlike some other historics I played. But this could be a function of old over-used strings

..Accounding to the sales rep the nect is a 60's style, not that wide.

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Thread hijack in progress!

I'm constantly amazed at what Gibson & GC put out as reissues, repros, custom authentics, etc. They are consistently wrong and not even period correct.

68 Les Paul Customs were black, staying black at night, and turning...black...in the morning light.

They came with a 59 neck profile, bigger than the slim taper 60's neck, but not as big as an R7 or R8 model.

This one came with the really low "fretless wonder" frets (forget bending strings on those), and black witch hat knobs (total pain to use live), and I've had a bone nut installed, but past the upgrades to decent frets and knobs...it's original, had 8 trillion notes played on it, and been my smartest guitar investment.

[​IMG]Thread hijack complete, you may now return to your original question. Good luck!

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Dang! :drool

4. TonyV

TonyV Member

I have played one in the GC in Orange CT.
    It is a great guitar , I would get it if not for the price, especially since it was already cruddy and surface scratches. The neck/fretboard are perfect for me. The guitar sounded very good and it did not have a stiff feel that some Gibsons can have. Plus it looks great

I went in there this past weekend and there was a, 11-12 year old kid planking away with it through one of those Fender Gdec (sp?) practice amps. I don't think the kid knew how to play he was just killing time while he Dad shopped.

Why would GC allow a $3300 (I think) guitar being used as a toy?

5. techx3d

techx3d Member

here is a picture of a buddy's. it is sweet.
    [​IMG]

i have a studio and the difference to me is great. this thing weighs a ton but man, ill say it again.... she is sweet.

EDIT: i liked his so much i went and bought one too

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008