Guitar center just sweetwater'd me

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sa1126, Feb 21, 2020.

1. sa1126

sa1126 Member

Sorry if there is already a discussion.

Guitar center just called me out of the blue to ask me what kind of music I am playing, and to let me know they had some great contacts in their office. I cannot remember the last time I went to guitar center, but it has probably been about 3 years.

Is anyone else getting calls? I am surprised they took the sweetwater approach since it doesn't seem too popular.

2. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

If they called me, I'd ask to be removed from their call list. Sweetwater is like an obsessed girlfriend. I ordered a backpack for my Helix a few months ago and got no less than five calls from the same sales guy. Sorry dude, I'm just not that into you.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  3. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

They called me a couple of weeks ago about some iOS recording gear I saved to a wish list. I didn't take the call.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Member

Guess there aren't many sales people in the guitar playing community. If you work in sales some companies require you to make actual sales calls not just answer a phone and take orders. They're just doing their jobs.

[​IMG]

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

I thought you were going to say they have you candy with your purchase.

TB72, forgivenman, Nimrod97 and 20 others like this.
  6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Thread just needs Gibson and Joe Bonamassa.

7. Dolphineus

Dolphineus "The game of ball is glorious." -Walt Whitman Gold Supporting Member

I worked for Guitar Center for most of 18 years. I did outgoing sales & followup calls every day I was working, and some days I was not.

8. misterg71

misterg71 Hack Silver Supporting Member

Tell them once they send you a big @ss bag of Laffy Taffy, we can talk.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  9. stevieboy

There's all kinds of salesmen, but I can't think of any retail outlet for any kind of product that I've ever gotten a sales call from. Except Sweetwater! But very few of those even, haven't bought much from them.

I shop a lot at Guitar Center, never got a call. Lots of emails! Which I'm fine with.

cogan and soulman969 like this.
  10. stevieboy

Interesting. What type of customers did you call? I mean, like the average stevieboy that walked in the store from time to time and bought stuff? Or bigger type customers, like businesses, studios or whatever?

11. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

just tell your sweetwater rep you prefer emails for contact and bam! it's fixed. lolz.

buddaman71 and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  12. Shadoof

Shadoof Member

I got a call from someone at Guitar Center a few weeks after I bought a used amp online last year. That was the first time. Oddly enough, I also got a call and email from Sam Ash around the same time, also the first time they had followed up on a sale.

13. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Member

I don't pickup my phone when they call out of the blue usually, but I do appreciate the way they do business with a real person rather than a chat bot or distant call center. I don't mind talking to my sales person when I am looking to buy something.

14. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

I’m in sales and the cold calling or follow ups are actually appreciated by me. We had a partner colleague who worked with our team at work from the outside and the guy had impeccable, persistent follow up and bus generation calls - always polite and professional. My teammates were annoyed by this and complaining and I’m thinking “we’re in sales here and you get persnickety because a sales guy calls on you?? WTF?!? - get over it - guy’s making a living so what?” They ended up bitching to the guy’s manager and they pulled him from our region. I told this manager “I got no problems with him at all - let him work with my patch.” So when Sweetwater calls or emails me - it’s fine. It’s not like the rep is walking into my house.

15. gray/

gray/ Member

Lol who cares

PBGas, Lt Dak, Madrigal and 2 others like this.
  16. sa1126

sa1126 Member

Basically this. Just wondering if they decided to adapt the sweetwater method. Sounds like they did not as not many of y'all have gotten calls.

Also FWIW Sweetwater caller ID comes up as tesla supercharger. Go figure -- just makes it easier to ignore.

17. sa1126

sa1126 Member

You're lucky to get any kind of packaging material, let alone candy.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

It almost goes without saying that, historically, much evil has been so justified.

I'm tempted to reply to the next such salesman, "Such a pleasure to receive your unsolicited call. May I now have your home phone number so I may return the favor at my convenience?"

19. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

I don't get calls, but I get emails and you CAN call Guitar Center and they will work with you on prices the same way that sweetwater does. If I'm looking at anything more than a couple of hundred bucks I call and almost ALWAYS get some money taken off.

20. sa1126

sa1126 Member

That is good to know. Any good deals to tell?

They used to haggle in store, but they shot my bro down last time he made an offer on a used amp.