Guitar center makes me laugh....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rollyfoster, Oct 3, 2006.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

was picking up some strings today and noticed there was a keeley java boost in th display cab. underneath it was a tag that read:

"USED keeley java boost: 249"

used? that's the price of a new one! and the top model new one, at that. whaaaa?

2. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

By now they probably figure everyone is gonna grind 'em down to nothing on the price, so why not start at retail?

3. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

It's new gear. Anything outside of their normal catalog is marked "Used".

4. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

could very well be used. I'm pretty sure musiciansfriend and guitar center are owned by the same people. Musiciansfriend recently started carrying keeley pedals.

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

At the OKC GC, there are quite a few used effects - to include some Keeley stuff - and it's all priced stupidly high.

6. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

GC can get keeley pedals that are his own...not the modded ones....fender now distributes keeleys pedals

7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

The GC in Tulsa had a Keeley Modded DS-1 and it was $149 used.

8. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

there was also a fulltone distortion pro. can't remember the price, but i know it was really high, as well

9. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I was at a pawn shop that was selling a used Russian Big Muff (not vintage) for $150!!!!!!! (They go for about $60 new):rotflmao

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I got a GC ad in the mail today advertising a "big sale." There was a set of starter Zyldians that looked interesting so I went on line to compare - everyone else is selling 'em regularly for less. :rolleyes:

11. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Oh yeah, The GC center on halsted in Chicago had a FD II for sale a few years back. It was the blue one we have all come to love. Well they wanted 219....

I was like, dude its 179 everywhere on the net, why is it 219 here. He told me they bought directly from fuller...

I replied, as opposed to the other dealers..... =)

I can't help being a smart ass, its in my blood......

12. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Remember the GC "KRON" last year for $199? The local GC had a Mayer Vision Wah for 175 a few years ago couldn't resist grabbing that for a quick resale on the BAY. They pretty much don't have a clue as far as most of the low volume Booteek stuff, but thank GOD for that, if it sticks around tooo long the" Holiday biggest sale of the year" crap can make them CHEAP!:BOUNCE

13. noises ten

noises ten Member

Sometimes too high, sometimes stupid low!!!!!

I bought an '03 TopHat King Royale (in '03) for $1200...
    Pedal Power and Sparkle Drive (used in boxes) $100 for both.
    Zvex Seek Trem in box with gas rag.. $150..
    Fender Blues Jr, used $150...

Although, I did have friends that would call me as soon as something like that came in for "first dibs"

One of the guys that worked there got a Screaming Cheetah OD for FREE from a guy that just wanted to unload a guitar, threw in the pedal to sweeten the deal!! GC management didn't want the pedal..

14. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I was told at GC that they can only sell the new Keeley pedals marked as used.
    Something having to do with noit a Keeley dealer (officially at least).

15. eric-d

eric-d Member

Actually, it was bought for $99. Not $199. :eek:

16. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

It looks like Guitar Center wants a cut of the boutique pedal action we have going on here. They see all of us trading or selling pedals that they can't make a profit on. I'm surprised that Robert Keeley & Mike Fuller is letting these guys distribute their gear. They're probably trying to gouge Fulltone & Keeley Electronics to selling their gear wholesale for some ridiculous price then selling it at a really high retail price. They've done this to other manufacturers in the past.

I noticed that Guitar Center now has their own auctions seperate from E-bay, but they also have auctions on E-bay (gcrep is their screenname). Personally, I wouldn't buy their overpriced boutique/ or modded pedals or bid on their auctions unless the price was right. Guitar Center is quite jealous that the Internet gives us musician consumers a wider choice in being able to choose who we can buy gear from without the ridiculous marked up retail prices.

Guitar George

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

And we don't even have to drive there- it's waiting for us when we get home from work!

18. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Just an observation. So many people are bashing GC, yet they are frequenting GC and have a pretty good knowledge of the used inventory.

Hmmm..:)

19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

They do jack everything up pretty high but they will deal. Once I tried a used 335, set up pretty nice. They must have had a new guy working there because as soon as I said how much I liked the setup, he knocked $500 off the price on the tag! Go figure.

20. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

In the past, GC could get Fulltone stuff as a special order. Fulltone sent out memo to their dealers not that long ago, saying they wouldn't deal w/
    GC anymore.
    Keeley stuff is available out of the Fender parts catalog now. Ayone who gets Fender parts, can get the Keeley(production) pedals now.