Guitar Center - now I'm pissed!

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Okay, so I crunched numbers after researching and searching for an AC15CC and I found a "refurb'd" AC15CC online with GC that includes 30/30 guarantee, full manu warranty, etc... for $480 shipped. So, I thought this was a nice deal and went for it buy paying with Paypal. It's been 2 days, nothing back about shipping from GC and so I emailed in asking what the deal is last night and just got this response:

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Due to lack of availability, the following items have been cancelled from your order:
482625V 03 1 VOX REFURB CUSTOM CLASSIC AC15CC1 COMBO TUBE AMP [/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']So, now I'm pissed. This just tells me that they were too lazy and slow in updating their site and/or they "hope" to be able to get these, advertise them and then see what happens. The part that gets me upset is that they said it can take "a few days" for the money to be credited back to Paypal... so now I'm stuck, I passed on a local one that could be sitting in my house NOW and there are some BIN's on ebay that I'm missing as well. I think I need to talk with a manager over there or something, no? Music123 has the same exact deal and they are probably full of sh*t as well. I will call Music123 today, but this is bad practice all the way around. [/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Why does this keep happening??? I also tried to buy a new Reverend double agent last night online and finally got a message back stating that "they are on backorder" and should be in the end of March.... WTF! DON'T put it on your site unless YOU HAVE IT IN STOCK!!![/FONT]

Birddog

I'd think that the availability of refurbished equipment is spotty at best. Not surprised they quickly went out of stock.

Check your formatting, friend. :worried

Jon C

...or they had it when you saw the web site but the refurbs sold out before your order was processed .... it happens.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
How can they charge for a product BEFORE knowing if it's in stock or not?
Sorry, the formatting was due to copying/pasting from Outlook. I have no problem being told it's not in stock. I DO have a problem having someone take $480 from me for NOTHING, then it taking approximately 3 - 5 days to return the money. What if I used a credit card? Would I be incurring interest while waiting for them to return my money? Bad practice, I don't believe Musician's Friend or Music123 charges until they have verified it's in stock.

Want to buy one?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Cus...2-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103635231-i1145854.gc

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I have to stop this nonsense... it's too taxing. Maybe I wasn't meant to have a Vox-type amp afterall. TGP is wearing me out :(

DejavuDave

I'm a programmer currently specializing in back-end integration of commerce web sites with legacy business systems. The "face" of the web is often misleading. You'd be surprised by the number of commerce sites that are still manually updated. Lift the hood and you'll find small caged animals running after dangled food to spin a wheel to power the whole front end. :crazy

With few exceptions, I never take any commerce site at its word for anything.

primerib

yeah, at GC you are best served as a walk in customer. too bad that most people that work there are 'tards (not all though).

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
"Lift the hood and you'll find small caged animals running after dangled food to spin a wheel to power the whole front end. :crazy"
-- I know, I work for a web hosting provider :AOK so I'm one of the caged animals...

Well, my complaining via email did something to grease the wheels... I just got notifcation that the money has been refunded into paypal. I can be a real PITA via email, never in person though :eek: I LOVE The ambiguity.
Guess I'm taking a long lunch to go amp shopping in real life today.
:dude

bubbaheat

Silver Supporting Member
I know it depends on where you live, but I try not to buy anything big online. Between bait and switch deals, brutal shipping and not getting what you expect, it just isn't worth it. If you are going to buy online I've had good luck with sweetwater for pedals and smaller stuff.

R3deemed

I'm fairly certain that the 3-5 day refund is because of Paypal's policy not GC/MF's. I'm guessing that if you used a CC the credit would be instant.

How can they charge for a product BEFORE knowing if it's in stock or not?

Paypal purchases are different from standard credit card purchases. With standard credit card purchases, there is an option to "reserve" funds without actually transferring them. This permits the vendor to check whether you have the money when processing your order, but lets them wait to charge you until your items ship. Most on-line retailers of any significance do things this way. (I do no know about GC). Then, if the transaction ends, they can just cancel the reservation without funds changing hands. They can also change the amount if needed when the funds are acquired. This is how tips at your local restaurant are processed on your credit card.

With most direct/debit and paypal transactions, there is no "reserve" step - so if you want to check to ensure that someone HAS the funds, you have to try to actually GET them.

I like PayPal and use it a lot - but this is one of its clear drawbacks.

doctorx

To me, "Refurb" means, "Some guy bought it, it was defective, he returned it, put it back on the floor for some other loser to buy."

Speed_Racer71

I'm a programmer currently specializing in back-end integration of commerce web sites with legacy business systems. The "face" of the web is often misleading. You'd be surprised by the number of commerce sites that are still manually updated. Lift the hood and you'll find small caged animals running after dangled food to spin a wheel to power the whole front end. :crazy

With few exceptions, I never take any commerce site at its word for anything.

I'd think that the availability of refurbished equipment is spotty at best. Not surprised they quickly went out of stock.

Check your formatting, friend. :worried

...or they had it when you saw the web site but the refurbs sold out before your order was processed .... it happens.

"luck of the draw". its happened to me, not on gear luckily but other things. waiting for a few days to get your money back is kinda taxing at times. i registered for a class at the local comm. college (twice) and the class was cancelled and they only send out refunds at the middle of the month so i waited a lot longer than a 3-5 days more like a few weeks

They probably pull the same crap on backordered stuff as MF. The item you order will give you a due date of today, but every day they back it up one day. It means they expect it, but don't know when it will arrive. I waited 2 months for a small item from them then finally cancelled it. I was tired of expecting it to arrive every damn day.

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
I don't see any problem with the store at all. They use an auto cart system, which charges you and sends a notice to pick up and ship the item. I'm sure the computer thought it was in stock, but when the msg got to the store, it was probably gone or not locateable. Happens all the time. Whining about it changes nothing.
Years ago I used to work retail and would sell a customer a CamCorder or TV only to find them coming back 20 minutes later from the pick up counter without the product. Incorrect shipping/keying counts, stolen goods, whatever. Refund. Appologies and move on.

RDM

Refund. Appologies and move on.

No. That won't happen. Because GC was listed in the title of the thread, this thread will continue for about 375 posts with 10k views, all listing horror stories about the loud music at Guitar Center, the stupid person at the front door, the uninterested guitar salesman and the accessories guy who doesn't know what a tuner pedal is, and the high-end guitars that were a half-step out of tune.

guitardr

GC? Youshould know beter by now.
Refurbs? Damn, but there are never enough in the first place.
Fastest service? IN PERSON at the counter & they go into their order computer while you're standing there or make that phone call and put a DP on it.
Sorry on that one that got away.

Top Bottom