Guitar Center online orders are now filled by Musician's Friend?

Mickey_C

1.428571428571429e-10 of humanity
Double Platinum Member
Oh boy... I knew Guitar Center bought musician's friend but I didn't think that they were a combined online shop.

I purchased a custom shop Martin from Guitar Center. Call me an idiot - but I had a special customer coupon that ended up giving me over $750 off of a price already reduced below 3,500 from the $5,000+ retail, so I did it. But I specifically called and asked about the guitar to make sure that it would be of recent delivery to GC, not something that sat in a warehouse for 2 years like the same model at Musician's Friend. I knew the MF guitars were that old, because they had the serial numbers and the pictures (and the serial numbers even in the pictures). I was assured by the GC rep on their 800 number I called that they had received the guitar within two weeks.. sounded good, I didn't want one of their return shipped instruments or anything dry as firewood.

When they shipped from Lenexa Kansas, my heart sank, and I checked the MF website; the very guitar I wanted to avoid, the oldest stock one they had, was now pulled; that's what I was shipped.

So how long now has guitar center been selling MF guitars through their website?

So much for the whole Guitar Center Platinum idea (what first informed me of this specific custom shop ltd edition Martin acoustic guitar).

Sean French

The older stock one you were sent could be the best sounding one.
Hope it's an amazing guitar for you.

Could be GC didn't have that model in stock and had it shipped via their sister company.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Have you received it yet? Maybe just a coincidence. That's partly why I like places like Sweetwater and Elderly. Can be sure you're getting the exact guitar you're looking at online.

Mickey_C

Double Platinum Member
The older stock one you were sent could be the best sounding one.
Hope it's an amazing guitar for you.

Could be GC didn't have that model in stock and had it shipped via their sister company.
They showed it IN STOCK on their website, not on backorder, they showed it IN STOCK. which is why I ordered from them. But as I said above, I called them on the phone to make sure, and to make sure that the one they had was a recent delivery from Martin, not some old stock item like the guitars at Musician's Friend.

Have you received it yet? Maybe just a coincidence. That's partly why I like places like Sweetwater and Elderly. Can be sure you're getting the exact guitar you're looking at online.
It was shipped from the MF warehouse in Lenexa, KS. That info was in the FEDEX tracking. MF lets you pick the guitar as well, so I saved the pictures of their guitars with the serial numbers. When my guitar shipped the oldest guitar on the MF website was pulled down. And if you saw it you would understand why it's two years old, a year older than the others; it's fugly, the center cocobolo wedge on the back looks terrible. Nobody would ever pick that guitar, not unless they gave it another 50% off.

I am so happy I paid through my local store, and shipped it to the local store.

kcprogguitar

They showed it IN STOCK on their website, not on backorder, they showed it IN STOCK. which is why I ordered from them. But as I said above, I called them on the phone to make sure, and to make sure that the one they had was a recent delivery from Martin, not some old stock item like the guitars at Musician's Friend.

It was shipped from the MF warehouse in Lenexa, KS. That info was in the FEDEX tracking. MF lets you pick the guitar as well, so I saved the pictures of their guitars with the serial numbers. When my guitar shipped the oldest guitar on the MF website was pulled down. And if you saw it you would understand why it's two years old, a year older than the others; it's fugly, the center cocobolo wedge on the back looks terrible. Nobody would ever pick that guitar, not unless they gave it another 50% off.

I am so happy I paid through my local store, and shipped it to the local store.
The MF warehouse is in Missouri. The FedEx hub is in Lenexa. They've shared the same warehouse and distribution network for years.

Tahitijack

Several years ago MF had the exact guitar I wanted, it was not in GC inventory. I asked my guy at GC if he could get it for me and at a better price. He said although GC owned MF they operated, at that time, as separate business groups and did not share inventory. He was able to tell me that the MF guitar had been sitting in their warehouse for a very long time and I should try negotiating a lower price with MF. With all their problems I hope MF and GC find a way to share inventory.

Mickey_C

Double Platinum Member
The MF warehouse is in Missouri. The FedEx hub is in Lenexa. They've shared the same warehouse and distribution network for years.
Had I only known that I wouldn't have bothered with this model guitar from either of them.

swiveltung

They have been the same company for a long time. I imagine they ship it from the closest location.....?

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Wait until you get it and play it to judge it. Buying a $3500 guitar should never be a crapshoot.

Bogner

Why all the worrying when you haven't received the guitar yet? It may be awesome! If not, return it for another one and keep doing so until you are happy with what they send. It really is not a big deal unless they run out of guitars and you are still unhappy.

bigtone23

Uh, the location of the MF/GC/M123/M&A warehouse on the Kansas/Missouri border is rife with appropriate levels of humidity. I'm positive the guitar is not dried to a crisp.
If the warehouse was in the Rocky Mountain states, however...

snouter

I was using Music123 for a while knowing they were Musiciansfriend, except they actually had awesome sales every few week like MF used to.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I specifically called and asked about the guitar to make sure that it would be of recent delivery to GC, not something that sat in a warehouse for 2 years like the same model at Musician's Friend. ...

When they shipped from Lenexa Kansas, my heart sank, and I checked the MF website; the very guitar I wanted to avoid, the oldest stock one they had, was now pulled; that's what I was shipped.
You can follow the suggestions of the others here to not sweat it and try the guitar when it comes but if it were me, I'd cancel the sale before it even arrives because what GC did here appears fraudulent and fraud should not be condoned.

Mickey_C

Double Platinum Member
The guitar arrived, and it is indeed the one from MF. The box shows it was shipped from martin in Pennsylvania to musician's friend in Missouri. I was told however that to return I still do have to go through the online system and call them, so i brought it home.

It's a beautiful custom shop madagascar rosewood guitar, so I guess this is what I get for searching for a bargain - and I double shame on me for even looking at madagascar woods, I hadn't seen the stuff online yet about what's happening there.

Mickey_C

Double Platinum Member
So I was contacted by guitar center. Here's the deal - they were a limited edition custom shop guitar, mine was one of the last two left in their combined inventory, and now there's only 1. They were all made in 2013, there are no new ones, the rep who told me they had just received one was mistaken. Searching online I found a little write up that pretty much said the same thing... these were made for Guitar Center and its subsidiaries, there is nowhere else to get it, and ordering a Martin Custom Shop with these features would be 9,000.

I'm keeping it. At least it was unopened.

Trending Topics