Guitar Center online transaction - Good grief

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Aug 13, 2019.

1. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

My wife likes to sew and her old Singer machine bit the dust. At Christmas time my wife wanted a new sewing machine with all of bells and whistles. I ordered it from Ebay for a good price. They put the address in as 26 instead of 38 (same street). 26 is an empty lot I get a text from Fedex saying "Delivered at door". Not my door, nowhere on lot 26, nowhere at any neighbors door. The seller contacted Fedex (they wouldn't even talk to me) and they couldn't find it. I put in a dispute with PayPal and they rejected it "It said delivered"...I had no recourse. I contacted my credit union and they refunded the money. It was an irritating situation that has me thinking that the demise of brick-and-mortar stores is probably a very bad thing.

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

What a freaking disaster. I'd send you mojo, but not sure it would even make it to you

3. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

That was great :aok

monty, ChampReverb and T Dizz like this.
  4. TeleDeluxe72

TeleDeluxe72 Member

Seems like the proper place for my GC shipping horror story. I bought a Maz 18 2x10 combo, which was basically brand new for an obscenely low price. I guess I shouldn’t have trusted someone to price an amp so low with shipping it out.

I had it sent to my Mom’s, as I know I wouldn’t be around when it arrived. She sent me a text when it arrived that I wouldn’t be happy. The amp had busted right through the bottom of the box. She said she saw the it coming thru the box when the UPS dude was carrying up the driveway and ran out to stop him before it hit cement. It was shipped in what was originally a box for an Orange cab, wayyyyyy oversized and ZERO wrap or cushion inside. None, Just bouncing around until the box gave out.

Somehow the only damage was a dented in corner cap. Still, I called the store manager and sent pics of the packaging. He couldn’t have cared less about how they shipped a $2k amp

JPH118 and Johnny Moondog like this.
  5. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

I’m sure the constant loading and unloading of that amp is doing wonders for it as well. Guitar Center can pound sand.

guff and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  6. monty

monty Member

I feel your pain OP.
    In this day and age where everything should be easier with CPUs and things, stuff just seems to be getting harder. Common sense just takes a backseat to "the system wont allow me to do that".

7. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

Remember when ups/FedEx/usps drivers knew your name? Pepperidge Farms remembers...

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

And another way to deal with it: "I feel like discussing this with you has reached a dead-end. How can I get hold of your supervisor?"

9. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

No no, it's 3rd /5th/ 9th August.
    Looks like the US system confuses both of us. ;)
    I prefer online deliveries sent to a preferred location, just less hassle for everyone.
    People can get too lazy as well which forces companies to deliver at your doorstep & various other conveniences.
    I used to share company provided cabs & people expect the driver to enter narrow lanes & literally reach their door. Those over exploited guys take it with a smile.

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I have a bit of a relationship with our local UPS folks, their depot is 3 miles away & I pick stuff up there often.
    They don't ask for my ID anymore & go straight into the back to grab my item when they spot me coming in the door.

One time they tried to deliver when I wasn't home & left the note, yes it was an item from GC.
    I drove over to the depot & was surprised when they had the driver bring it by the depot for me, on a late Friday afternoon.
    I was very happy with that result, otherwise I'd have gone all weekend w/o that item, a non-functioning bass guitar.

coltonius and Pellecaster like this.
  11. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

????

12. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    This is great information! I don't have a problem, but it is good to have. Thank you. :)

13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

If it's only blocks from home, have you tried just going to their office to politely ask for your package?
    Bring the tracking number & your driver's license.

14. ToneBenderz

ToneBenderz Member

The story seems to be the norm for the USED online sales. It sucks and sorry to hear your story. This just makes me think of what i have been through with the USED E commerce part of GC.

First of all, there are some great guys and gals working at some of the stores/corporate but the USED online sales does not work. I have ordered used pedals to have issues like...

Pedals sent to the wrong address,
    Replaced pedal with different pedal because the deal was too good.
    Cancelled order after a week with the excuse the pedal was stolen. This and more from less than a dozen USED transactions.

Yes i pulled the trigger on deals that were good and advertised with actual pictures of the items. If its a great USED deal, it appears they will find a way to undo the deal.

My time is limited so online purchases is what i do. Their corporate customer service is a joke and i would suggest just dealing with the store people if you have the time.

FYI I have purchased new items online (GC) and have had no issues at all.

My apologies for venting on your post!

15. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

I have ordered a couple of used items from Guitar Center over the years and they screwed both of them up. What made me even more frustrated was when I called the store and told them the problem (that they shipped the wrong item) they told me they were really busy and I would need to call back. I will never do business with Guitar Center again. Even our local store is filled with a bunch of employees that could care less you are there. I never want to see people lose their jobs but that whole chain just needs to go under.

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I must be lucky.. I've ordered 2 used guitars from GC and both were packed great. But,,, I did have them shipped to the nearest GC and I went in to pick them up and also took them out of the box at the store to make sure there was no damage.

17. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I've ordered about 10 things from GC and have never had any problems.
    OP - that sucks... Watching a package on fed/ups/whatever tracking is not fun!

18. buzzard blues bird

buzzard blues bird Member

How would you like to drive an hour and 15 minutes to gc , pay tolls, to trade in a pedal. salesperson says he'll give me $ 88- for mine. cool. mind you I've got my family waiting on me in car trying to make a movie on time.Unknowledgable salesp. trying to figure out how to try mine out lol. Has to get manager to proceed with transaction. I express I'm in a hurry, manager on computer .. click. click click. back space back space,,, semi colon click click clik clik wtf! Tells me they'll give me $75- now ! whatever just get me the hell outa here! Manager switches to other computer up front to do the buyback of my pedal yada yada yada ... I give him $ money difference towards another pedal ,then he informs me about my states mandatory 30 day police hold ,in case of stolen gear!! wth ! Why in the hell do you have the pedal in the case if I can't buy it today.?!Plus my pedal came from one of your other stores AND you made a copy of my license. Now I've got to make the almost Hour and a half trip, and pay more tolls both ways to pick it up on aug. 28 th. I was beyond pissed AND my family missed the movie. yesterday sucked, big time.

19. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

This ^^^^. I will pay for the shipping. Too many people are stealing gear off house / apartments / etc. I check the gear at the store, too.

tubekingsley likes this.
  20. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

My best GC online story is the time I ordered a used pedal and it showed up. But they double printed the label and slapped it also on a Highway One strat and shipped that to me also. Both packages were in front of my door when I got home and my wife even got pissed that I had “ordered another guitar”. I called them up and told them about it and said I’d return this mystery guitar that I never ordered, but they said they couldn’t take it back because the law says any merchandise shipped to somebody that they didn’t pay for is theirs to keep. I was like uhh, ok thanks then.