Guitar Center online transaction - Good grief

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

If you're shopping GC Used and have it shipped to a nearby GC for local pickup, you do not pay shipping unless you return the gear, at which point you're on the hook for it.

guff likes this.
  2. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

I don't believe so. There is always a fee for shipping used gear, regardless of where it's shipping to. (7+ years working for GC)

3. romo

romo Supporting Member

I have purchased several used pedals and amps from GC online. Everything showed up in the expected condition and was well packed.

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I stand corrected.

5. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Another thing that makes you go "A world of pain"

[​IMG]

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Why open a dispute? if you decide you no longer want the amp, fine. They'll refund you after they get it back.

7. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

You weren't kidding.

That really is the "best" story.

I had that happen twice, with pedals.
    But never a guitar !

flyonthewall150 likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

A few of us could probably write a novella about our mishaps with GC.
    However, they have a shedload of inventory nationwide & their returns policy is so wide-open.

I've admittedly returned a lot of stuff to them & sometimes they don't even check to see if it's what I bought or if it's functioning properly.
    Heck, one time I returned an amp & told them I was returning it because it was faulty, but the next day it was out for sale again.

Back when they put this restriction on Will-Call UPS pickups I was livid, because I always set it to Will-Call & I absolutely hate sitting around here waiting for them to deliver my stuff to the wrong address.
    Eventually I started to realize that they were the best thing around for buying gear that I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep.

A couple of times I bought off Reverb, & both of those times I regretted it, because I ended up selling locally cheap to get rid of those items.

9. mtngpeopleiseasy

mtngpeopleiseasy Member

I’ve had dozens of online and in-person transactions with GC. I feel lucky that the GCs near me are pretty big stores...they move lots of things and are always pleasant to work with.

The OP’s issue sounds more so of a problem with the delivery companies...but that doesn’t excuse the issue.

My rule of thumb is to have big purchases (used) shipped to my local store and small ones get shipped to my home. The big ones I’ll go to the store, check it out, and decide on-site whether or not it’s good enough to go home.

There are incredible deals to be had with GC used but it’s a bit of a crapshoot. I just can’t emphasizr enough to have big purchases sent to a local store. Saves a lot of potential headaches.

tubekingsley likes this.
  10. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

UPDATE: Although the UPS site said it was still on hold all day, it appeared at the house.

The reverb doesn't work.

The saga continues.

captaincoconut likes this.
  11. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

Not the way I see it. Bring it back to the closest GC and get your money back. The story has an ending. Maybe not a happy ending, but certainly some lessons learned.:dunno

12. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

At least you don't have to pay for shipping, since it's defective- what a nightmare.

13. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Before I threw the baby out with the bathwater I bought a replacement RCA cable for the reverb tank and that was it.

It's ridiculous how often those RCA cables just die having barely been touched.

Scott57 likes this.
  14. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I have a UPS Store a block away from my house and I always order "Hold for Pickup" there to avoid stuff like that. It costs $5 more but it's totally worth it.