Guitar Center trade-in discount?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MxLx, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:51 PM.

1. MxLx

MxLx Member

I thought that CG has a standing offer for 10% off of a new purchase with a trade-in. I don't see anything about that on their website, no one is answering the phone at my local store, and the sales rep at the main number told me to get in touch with the store.

Does anyone know if that's still a thing?

2. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

Afaik its still alive but when i tried to trade in a $20 TCI pedal once they wouldn't deal me 10% off a new $1500 strat i wanted.

I guess depends on the trade in. I ended up walking and AMS gave me 5% off, free shipping and no tax at the time.

So just the tax was like saving $120 right off the bat. Win win lol

fretless and MxLx like this.
  3. iced_earth

iced_earth Silver Supporting Member

I was at GC on Saturday and “Trade in, trade up” is not currently available.

MxLx likes this.
  4. ThePunisher

ThePunisher Member

It's not available at least at my local one.

MxLx likes this.
  5. disconnector

disconnector It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down. Silver Supporting Member

Probably because their inventory is pretty much shot. Our local GC is about 60% empty. Why discount when they can’t even keep their stock up?

CBHTele and MxLx like this.
  6. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, that program has been discontinued for the time being. You can still trade in, but no 10% discount.

7. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

Yeah GC is essentially a specialty pawn shop at this point... (god bless their online used section though these days)

I can't imagine a scenario where it would be advantageous to trade anything into GC vs. selling it on the used market. It seems like they went from offering 60% of typical used value to 30% in the last 5 years.

iced_earth likes this.
  8. CBHTele

CBHTele Supporting Member

History shows that the “GC is circling the drain” rumors have been persistent and largely untrue; however, they have not been restocking lately, whereas the other online biggies like SW and AMS seem to have new stock arriving at least sporadically. I have also seen where places like Dave’s and my local M&Ps are getting new stock. I wonder if this really may be IT for GC.

9. Scott L

Scott L Silver Supporting Member

With low new inventory to pull from, and the supply chains still in flux, they are going to squeez every dollar out of the on hand stock.

The only sales are on the real schlock / disposable beginner crap. No coupons or discounts since March.

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I picked up a new Tele a week ago and traded an amp towards it I asked for the 10% trade discount and was told they stopped doing that, the salesperson said since I asked for it he was able to still get the 10% off for me.

11. iced_earth

iced_earth Silver Supporting Member

Yeah... at their peak I was getting 65 - 70% on high end items. It's been a long time since that was allowed and now I don't even bother taking anything in for an estimate...