Guitar Center Used policy

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by blynn894, Apr 25, 2016.

1. blynn894

blynn894 Supporting Member

Went into my somewhat local GC tonight. Browsing through the used items I found a decent deal on an MFX, after choosing between 2 different pedals. Go to make the purchase and he tells me "Oh, this is not available yet, not until May 11" because they now have to hold on to a used item for 3 weeks to make sure it wasn't a stolen item. Same thing with the other pedal....

My question is, why then would they put the items on display? Why don't they wait until they deem it not stolen??
    Just dumb as I was there but now have to wait and take the chance it sells before I can get back. Which it's not really convenient as it's quite a drive for me.

Rant over

2. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Member

Yep, I've encountered that policy quite often. They put it on the floor because you can essentially buy it by putting it on layaway before it has come off of hold status. I've bought a few guitars that way.

MrLahey likes this.
  3. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

Indeed. I barely even go into GC anymore, everything I could ever want is usually one "click" away. The policy is understandable, I know certain counties have different regulations for holding times on various items. Don't know if that applies to Music equipment though.

4. blynn894

blynn894 Supporting Member

I definitely understand the policy, just wished they didn't put it out if they can't sell it. He didn't offer me anyway of completing the purchase. Just left confused.

5. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

I don't think it's policy, I think it's law. I know I've missed purchasing stuff at GC under these same conditions, and I was tied it was actually a local ordinance (Boston Ma) that had to follow.

6. superpotato_30

superpotato_30 Member

I don't live in the States, haven't really been there since 23 years ago but I'll definitely pop by one day. Is anything in this video regarding GC remotely true? (no intention to bash here - the video is a parody and is quite funny at least IMO)

7. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I've bought used guns and music gear that I had to wait to go pick up because of the 10 day hold.

If it makes you feel any better, I saw two thieves get arrested at the local GC when they tried to hawk some stolen gear. Victim had alerted GC to keep an eye out for his stuff and they did. When the perps attempted to hawk it, the store kept them occupied while they called the cops and waited.

DV52 and bloomz like this.
  8. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Enjoy B&M GC and Mom Pop stores while you can.

9. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Bait and switch man
    why hide it in the back?
    GC is obviously wack
    ....why were you shopping there again?

10. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i've seen thieves get arrested trying to sell a stolen gun at a large FL gun shop

11. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

They've been doing this forever, although back in the day they would let you put a deposit down to hold the item until they could legally sell it.

12. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I buy them and then they hold them all the time.

I actually like it, because I am only interested in great deals, and the hold thing scares
    off a lot of folks who may have gotten to the item before me.

bloomz likes this.
  13. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

They should wait until it come back clean before putting it on the show room floor

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

You think Ma and Pa stores don't have to follow the Pawnshop Hold laws? Of course they must. Difference is, they'll pull a Heads I Win Tails You Lose deal on you even more often than GC does. What I'm talking about is, you give them a credit card number and you think you are first in line, but they're finding someone who will pay more. Guitar Center did this to me also, but the little guys do it all the time IMO.

15. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Ah, this topic again!

Did a quick search on "guitar center police hold," and one of the first topics in my list is from 2009.

Same answers still apply to the same complaints.

I'm grateful that I can put money down on those things, and I have done so many times in the past, and will continue to in the future.

16. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

You live in or near Reno, Nevada?
    We have Bizarre Guitar and Bizarre Guns (2 different businesses basically under the same roof and I'm pretty sure owned by the same person) in Reno.

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

I've done that on a killer deal on a Mesa amp sitting out on the floor with a price tag on it. I take it to the counter, the sales guy looks at it :eeks .... punches a few things on the computer and says, I'm sorry, that one's been sold :red This happened twice to me there .... either the item was mis marked, or whatever, but they wouldn't sell it. I've never gone in there again!

18. NHDave

NHDave Supporting Member

Am happy they put it out prior to the police hold expiring... #1 it does not yet hit the gc.com used inventory. If it's
    a killer deal, it's yours to put a deposit on as opposed to it being online where it can easily be scooped by someone
    who will never visit the store again.

#2 you don't get it til it clears, don't even want it in my house if it's hot, regardless of whether I have a receipt.
    (and even then, you aren't 100% sure but at least the store followed the local ordinances)

19. demillso

demillso Member

You can buy it, you just can't take it with you until after the hold.

Signed,
    The guy who can't pick up his Phase 90 until tomorrow.

blynn894 and Fishyfishfish like this.
  20. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    It's the law pretty much everywhere. The only difference is GC puts it out on the floor immediately upon bringing it in. As already mentioned, you can put a deposit on it and pick it up after the hold release. I've snagged some great used gear from them this way. If the salesperson was smarter they would've suggested that option.