• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitar Center "Used" section scammed me

Brian N

About a week ago, I saw a bass guitar I wanted on Guitar Center's used site. There was only one picture, and a rather low quality one at that, but it was listed in "Great" condition and the price was right, so I ordered it.

It showed up and it was in pretty atrocious condition. The front looked fine, but the back was very scuffed up, there was a huge chip in the neck pocket, and the neck had a ton of dents and dings all over it.

I brought it to Guitar Center to return it and very politely asked the associate if I could get the shipping cost back in addition to the normal refund. He took a look at the guitar and admitted that it should have been listed as "Fair" condition, and that whoever took the photo of it was clearly hiding the disaster on the back of it.

He got a manager who told me that the shipping cost gets paid to UPS directly so they can't refund it. That sounds like a load of baloney to me, but I wasn't going to bother over $25 of shipping cost. It just irks me that I'd have to pay anything, seeing as how they grossly misrepresented the guitar.

I've read stories online of people getting shipping refunded in these cases with no issues, but apparently they won't anymore. So...buyer beware!

Edit: I just saw they relisted the guitar, still in Great condition, no extra pictures. And some new sucker just bought it.

Last edited:

Brian N

And before someone says it, I know I can dispute the charge with my credit card company, but I'd rather not get blacklisted by Guitar Center since I do like to buy things there on occasion.

tycobb73

Silver Supporting Member
That's wrong. or lying. The last 2 things I returned to gc I got shipping refunded. I always call the store. Both times there were undisclosed issues. Gc makes a lot of mistakes
, some in your favor, some not.

JCU

Platinum Supporting Member
I always do “ship to store” when buying used at GC. The “used” segment in their website is the worse in the industry and the quality of the pictures and descriptions are pretty inconsistent. If anything is wrong it is still in their hands. You can find good deals though.

Brian N

I would back and talk to the manager again . . . be polite.
Misdescribed = full refund. Ring up customer services if they have one or ring the store and query this.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting I do. I already returned the guitar. I can't imagine they would track it down again and then give me a different answer.

Edit: I just called their 800 number and explained what happened. The rep was super cool she refunded the shipping for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, my local Guitar Center has always been kinda shady like that.

Last edited:

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
I had to fight for shipping costs on a used pedal I got from GC online once, which arrived DOA… brought it back to the nearest store and had to wait for a manager to approve it, who was clearly trying to wait me out. It was really annoying, but I just hung out at that display case as long as I had to, probably close to half an hour, and eventually got it back... It was about the principle to me, not the money.

Yamaha 350

About a week ago, I saw a bass guitar I wanted on Guitar Center's used site. There was only one picture, and a rather low quality one at that, but it was listed in "Great" condition and the price was right, so I ordered it.

It showed up and it was in pretty atrocious condition. The front looked fine, but the back was very scuffed up, there was a huge chip in the neck pocket, and the neck had a ton of dents and dings all over it.

I brought it to Guitar Center to return it and very politely asked the associate if I could get the shipping cost back in addition to the normal refund. He took a look at the guitar and admitted that it should have been listed as "Fair" condition, and that whoever took the photo of it was clearly hiding the disaster on the back of it.

He got a manager who told me that the shipping cost gets paid to UPS directly so they can't refund it. That sounds like a load of baloney to me, but I wasn't going to bother over $25 of shipping cost. It just irks me that I'd have to pay anything, seeing as how they grossly misrepresented the guitar.

I've read stories online of people getting shipping refunded in these cases with no issues, but apparently they won't anymore. So...buyer beware!
I buy used have it shipped to my store. Check it out. If I do not like it I can get another one. A lot of guitars are misinterpreted. But that does not mean they cheated you out of anything because it was damaged. Used scratched up and dings. That's means the person thought it was in decent condition and it was in worse shape than that. Sorry that it happened. But that is life. If you ordered from someplace else it may happen there too.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
OP, I dont think you got scammed. You bought a used bass pretty much sight unseen. Turned out to be banged up, and GC refunded back your money for the bass. That seems pretty fair. They could have refunded the shipping, but they are under no obligation to do so.

Cliffhydro

Silver Supporting Member

Contact GC Corporate, you will get justice.
If it's not as described or faulty, store policy is to return shipping fees

Worse than what?
This. Call customer service. They will refund your shipping. Should take about two minutes and you won’t be blacklisted by your local shop.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom