Guitar Center Used

GCDEF

Supporting Member
I've bought three amps and an MFX. MFX worked fine. All three amps had issues and had to be returned.

Scott L

Silver Supporting Member
No different than any other large corp - depends on who did the transaction.

I saw a Gibson "08 Standard" with a broken neck repair at the 5th fret, clean snap break, taken in by the store manager with missed it completely. Never noticed the re-fin on the back, not the faint glue line at the break. You should have seen his face when I pointed it out to him. Played well, sounded great, so they just left it up on the rack and sold it off.

I picked up a Princeton Reverb II for $89 - was told the Reverb was not working and the Drive Channel was shot buy a pretty new Asst. Manager. - Reverb was unplugged and the Drive Channel is a Push/Pull that he did not know or understand. The amp must have been in a closet for pushing 30 yrs - not a mark on it and original glass. I made out, but some poor bastard got screwed on the trade in.

DoctorBob

#3 bad experiences--but they made good on all three.The first-got a vintage FB shipped from CA stated to be in excellent shape--oops-active break in the neck and finished in shellac like what you used to do in shop class-they took it back locally. Second-shipped a '64 SG from NYC--too many major flaws to name--took it back. Third-while in NYC bought a '60 330 only to upon return home learn almost EVERYTHING (PUPS original) was replacement parts--called them-apologetic-said they do not vet the less expensive pieces-I had it appraised locally and they gave me back the difference and I kept it anyway (I really only care about wood and PUPs)--so QC--LOUSY!!!! but stand up business sense-no problem (though it is a minor pain to go thru the hassle of having to return it, I guess)

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
It must depend on the store. As we all know, there are good people in GC who know what they're doing...and lots of doofuses who don't.

sixty2strat

#3 bad experiences--but they made good on all three.The first-got a vintage FB shipped from CA stated to be in excellent shape--oops-active break in the neck and finished in shellac like what you used to do in shop class-they took it back locally. Second-shipped a '64 SG from NYC--too many major flaws to name--took it back. Third-while in NYC bought a '60 330 only to upon return home learn almost EVERYTHING (PUPS original) was replacement parts--called them-apologetic-said they do not vet the less expensive pieces-I had it appraised locally and they gave me back the difference and I kept it anyway (I really only care about wood and PUPs)--so QC--LOUSY!!!! but stand up business sense-no problem (though it is a minor pain to go thru the hassle of having to return it, I guess)
I remember that Firebird what that happened to you, outrageous. I had seen it and was curious. Then you got it and read you post, I noticed it floated to 2 more store before disappearing. I lucked out and got an old one with a solid head stock reapair for a 100 bucks less.

73Fender

Yep.
GC in Madison is GREAT.
Never had a bad experience.
Great people work there.

If you live near a GC you can order used gear online and have it shipped to your local GC.
Go there to pick it up and try it out in the store before you take it home.
If you pick it up, and return it shortly after are you liable for any shipping charges etc? Or for that matter if it arrives at your local store and you decline it for whatever reason?

I do wish they would include some kind of a write up for each item, their "details" section is sparse for sure. Then again if you call first, no issue there.

In my opinion, this is a cool service that GC offers, one reason I'd like to see them stick around.

sksmith66

do you have to pay shipping to have an item shipped from one store to another? want to buy my nephew a cheap wah pedal for christmas. he is 10 and was over this weekend drooling over my pedals talking about how badly he wants a wah pedal. saw a few cheapos on GC used that would certainly work for a 10 year old who is just learning guitar.

phazersonstun

On used items shipped store to store or direct to a residence there is a shipping charge.
If you're returning a used item that was shipped & there is a problem with the piece, shipping will be refunded as this was GC's fault.
If there is nothing wrong with it and the customer decides they just don't want it, the shipping charge is not refunded.

UPS has to get paid regardless & it helps the store a little bit with regard to frequently being misused as a rental company.

NHDave

Supporting Member
If you pick it up, and return it shortly after are you liable for any shipping charges etc? Or for that matter if it arrives at your local store and you decline it for whatever reason?
was typing as phazerstun replied, but I'll add...

agree, you would be liable for shipping charges, however
their shipping on the whole is pretty reasonable ($22 for a
guitar for example) That said, if there were some significant
undisclosed issue I'm sure they would take care of it...

also... keep in mind when you ship to store, just be
aware of the time it takes for the local guys to retrieve
it, have you sign it out. and if need be inspect/try out...
they aren't getting the commission on it... I prefer
to ship home (I have UPS my choice, and they hold for
pickup for me). if you need to return, so be it, they'll
probably re-sell it in a couple days.

Last edited:

nocluejimbo

I have had good luck with multiple purchases on GC.com used. I always ship to store (I don't live in a neighborhood where I want to risk items being left on my porch), and the one time the item was not as described, it was a painless return process at my local store, and my shipping was refunded.

donnievaz

do you have to pay shipping to have an item shipped from one store to another? want to buy my nephew a cheap wah pedal for christmas. he is 10 and was over this weekend drooling over my pedals talking about how badly he wants a wah pedal. saw a few cheapos on GC used that would certainly work for a 10 year old who is just learning guitar.
Just have them ship it direct to you. They are very reasonable with shipping costs.

Beng2040

Supporting Member
Kind of off topic but I recently bought a 90's Vox AC30 TBX and they shipped it (80 lbs) UPS ground for $12 to Indiana from New York. That should have cost about $100. Very reasonable shipping prices, IMO.

Kind of off topic but I recently bought a 90's Vox AC30 TBX and they shipped it (80 lbs) UPS ground for $12 to Indiana from New York. That should have cost about $100. Very reasonable shipping prices, IMO.
They probably didn't insure it, but yeah, good on your end for sure. It costs me $12 to ship a pedal with insurance covering replacement value.

Lono

I have purchased a few vintage items direct from my local GC and as others have stated it really depends on who is looking at the item on any given day.

I have an interesting strory about an older LP I purchased from GC and was given completely incorrect info on the guitar. Now, I'm not complaining because what I paid for was a re-finished LP Deluxe with older DiMarzio pickups and what I got was a really mint original Deluxe with very early Patent Number pickups installed before the original owner even took delivery. It even had the original purchase receipt including the charge for the pickup swap in the case.

Sometimes things work out in your favor.

smallbutmighty

Supporting Member
I wouldn't worry any more about the condition of the used gear from GC than I would about the condition of the new gear from GC.

Interpret that as you will.

gtraddict

On used items shipped store to store or direct to a residence there is a shipping charge.
If you're returning a used item that was shipped & there is a problem with the piece, shipping will be refunded as this was GC's fault.
If there is nothing wrong with it and the customer decides they just don't want it, the shipping charge is not refunded.

UPS has to get paid regardless & it helps the store a little bit with regard to frequently being misused as a rental company.

I always had to pay shipping back, I bought two items
one the guys who packed it broke half the headstock off an ovation and the other sold a tokai love rock and said it was a japan when it was a korean

ahcleinad

They probably don't open the guitar up, but most likely play the guitar to see if it works?

My main guitar was bought used from Guitar Center. They sometimes have stupidly good deals.

loftyrocket

Yeah, the guy was a moron if he gave them $475 for a MIM. Especially since they sell used MIMs for $300.
Yeah. I was absolutely shocked. I told her not to expect much for it and that she would be lucky to get 150 or so. It was in the drum room. I watched from afar. She didnt say much. Dude pulled it out of the gig bag. Strummed a few chords and a penatonic lick, did the ole on eye closed, look down the neck move. They shook hands and she turned with a huge grin on her face. We got the money and hightailed it out of there.

I thought for sure she would be black listed from GC.

Lono

They probably don't open the guitar up, but most likely play the guitar to see if it works?

My main guitar was bought used from Guitar Center. They sometimes have stupidly good deals.
After my experience I can guarantee they don't open up the guitars as I had asked some specific questions regarding pickups, the pots and how it was wired. Was given completely incorrect info and it was a stupidly good deal.

axe4me

Call the GC store and ask lots of questions.
I've bought guitars sight unseen and asked the million $ question......"will anything on this guitar make me say, OMG, what a piece of ****!!"
I've never had to return a single axe and I've purchased a lot of used guitars from them.
All of these were used.
Here's a sample:

Trending Topics