Guitar Center....what on earth were you thinking?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stinky Kitty, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

Anytime I can grab a gently used Vetta II HD, I'm usually down so I scored this one at a southern state GC (won't name it) and wouldn't ya know, this is how it was packaged and delivered. Frankly, it's shocking the damn thing is in one piece after seeing this. I've been buying amps online since AOL 2.0 hit the scene and this is, without a doubt, the worst packing job I've ever encountered and the fact that it arrived in one piece is shocking in of itself. How on earth do you justify putting a 46-lb head in a package twice the size of the item and surround the amp with a wrap of brown paper and one layer of bubble? My wife even noticed the sound on the other end of the door when the driver arrived and set it down. "Wow, that doesn't 'sound' like it was packed very well" and of course, why would it be? There was a 1/2-foot of free space surrounding it on each side. The box wasn't double-walled...hell, you can see how flimsy it is, certainly not suitable for anything of that weight.

Seriously Guitar Center...if you guys are going to push used gear available for sale nationwide, you need to get in touch with your local retailers and inform them that this kind of packing is unacceptable. Good grief.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

You lost me at 'won't name it'.

3. Platner

Platner Member

I purchased two items from GC where I requested that they be shipped to the store instead of my house. I live only a few miles from my local GC and it is much better to receive the item in the store and unwrap it in front of the sales person. One item was $10.00 piano method book and the other was a 12" celestion speaker for my vintage Fender Princeton Reverb. When I opened the piano book's package which was just a thin manilla envelope, the book was creased, mangled and dog-eared. They ordered another one for me which when it finally arrived was still creased but not as bad so I accepted it. The Celestion speaker looked OK but the factory box it came in had been re-sealed. I took it home and I could see that the speaker had been used. I put it in the amp and it buzzed badly. I took it back and GC ordered me another which when received was still factory sealed. It was apparent that this was a factory fresh unmolested speaker and is working as it should.

I intend to never buy anything from GC again unless it's something like strings or a pick I need in an emergency.

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

The last used guitar I bought from GC was also poorly packed and was rattling around in the box when it arrived. It was wrapped up in bubble wrap, and there was packing paper inside the box, but not nearly enough to keep it safe. On top of that, the schmoe who packed it didn't de-tune the strings. It arrived safely, but I called the store and let the manager know what a poor job the guy did. He apologized and said he'd take care of it, but who knows if he did.

It's GC after all. Some of them are good and some of them suck. It comes with the territory. You pay a kid minimum wage, so what can you expect?

5. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

Sorry to see whatever location did that. My most recent purchase from the one in st Louis Mo came packed for ww3. Double bubble wrapped plenty of packing foam etc. All for 100.00 amp (im a peavey bandit hoarder). Hopefully it all works out for you. Good luck.

6. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Awhile back I bought a used Roland edrum set from GC, and it arrived in my house in a 3'x3'x3' box filled with beads. They unscrewed all the hardware and just chucked it in the box of beads, didn't even take the time or courtesy to put the screws in a bag. I had to search through 27 cubic feet of packing beads to find many 1/4" long screws and small washers.

Every single item I have bought used from GC has had some sort of issue, but often their great prices on used stuff (significantly lower than say Reverb or ebay) are because the gear has issues. The worst was a Hwy1 Strat that had a defective bridge pickup and the worst setup I've ever seen (and Strats are easy to set up poorly). But after some cleanup and setup work that became a great guitar. I also bought a Peavey amp from them that arrived missing the reverb tank and one mounting foot.

I keep buying stuff from them because of really low prices, I can fix most of it, and GC has a great return policy. Even though they ship junk sometimes, they are easy to work with to return the items (they pay shipping and give full refunds). The drill when an item arrives is to look it over and find the inevitable fault that will allow a return, there is always something wrong they do not tell in the ad that will allow a return for a full refund.

MrLahey likes this.
  7. johnkoz

johnkoz Member

just had a 12 inch tube combo show up just like that; miracle survivor.

not sure why they don't pack it right

MrLahey likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Did you call the store or just make the order online?

I always, Always, ALWAYS call the store, ask for a discount, or something thrown in, and ask them to please take great care packing it.

MrLahey likes this.
  9. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

I've ordered pedals, guitars and amps from a number or different GC locations. Every single time they were packed extremely well. We talking probably 20 shipments over the years. I guess I'm lucky?

10. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

My experience has been the opposite. I've mostly purchased guitar pedals. They are almost always packed in a box much larger than what is needed surrounded by several layers of bubble wrap.

11. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

I prefer to handle issues with the specific location first before outing them online. It's the right thing to do. It could very well be a situation the general manager had absolutely no clue of and he/she could be the type of person who would be quite apologetic and upset about the packing job. I've always felt it's best to try and resolve issues directly and only if I feel I'm being ignored or blown off will I make an issue public with a single store or retail shop. So far,
    it appears the Vetta is operating normally but I'll need a bit more time with it to be sure. It just bothers me that any retailer doesn't have a set of standards in place that must be followed, from Maine to Hawaii, when it comes to packing
    items of this size. I mean, double-walled boxes is almost a no-brainer for items approaching 50-lbs. It's just a proper way to treat the consumer, who is placing a significant amount of trust on GC when buying an item based singularly
    on a thumbnail. Seems like packing it correctly would be as much a benefit to them as it would be to us buyers.

12. bob-i

bob-i Member

Wow, that's just amazing...

I've bought 2 items from GC ship to store. A bass amp that was packed nicely but not over packed, it arrived just fine, and a bass that I only paid $190 for and I swear it had $300 of packing materials. The bass, which didn't have a case, was double wrapped in bubble, placed in a box, which was wrapped in bubble, and boxed again. I saved the boxes and bubble to reuse later.

13. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

As said above.... Calling thsle store prior to purchase is always a good idea ime. I always call and ask specific questions about anything im buying from GC ysed section. Develop a brief relationship helps too ie letting the sales person kniw your intent of use etc. Sounds odd i know but i have had sales managers call me back two months after purchasing items to see if all was still well woth guitars,amps,etc
    Five minute conversations with a little laughter can go a long way sometimes. Sometimes it depends on the particular location. Some are just rude and i have walked away from some of them.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yeah, you'd think their well-paid, high morale work force would do a better job.

15. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

All "best of" lists become indistinguishable from "worst of" lists given a little time.