Guitar Center ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Zacflame, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Zacflame

Zacflame Member

My location is central of a 1 1/2 -2 hr trip to Tallahasse, Gainesville, And both Jacksonville stores. I have been looking for a eventide h9 or a zoom cdr, well i always call now instead of just striking out. Absolutely zero units at any store, yes they can order, but so can I, are these units in that high demand or is that just the state of guitar center these days ?

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I think it's the state of Guitar Center - I suspect those kind items sell few enough that it doesn't make sense to stock them.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

This

4. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

That's kind of funny for guitar center to think that way, considering the only reason they're still probably even in business is because people can demo gear without having to order it. I remind the clerks every time I call to ask to demo something and they don't have it, but mention they can order it for me....like they're doing something I can't do on my own. Seems like less of a hassle to just have it shipped to your house from sweetwater or something and return it that way if you don't like it considering the driving involved.

mojah likes this.
  5. SteveO

SteveO Member

Lots of people demo stuff at GC and then order it from an online retailer. I can see why they're stocking mainly the fast-moving items, that's a much safer bet for them right now (with their current financial situation).

Alex Kenivel and MikeyG like this.
  6. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

If you order from Musicians Friend, they will apply a coupon if you call them, ship it for free, and you will have it in 2-3 days. Do it.

7. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Look at the bright side. You can order it on line.....try it out for 30 days.......return it if you don't like it........ and they can sell it to someone else as new.

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

True but that's always been their motto, even before their hard times

9. Alnico&El34Rocks

Alnico&El34Rocks Member

Too bad they don't take suggestions on which gear to stock. Ie if a bunch of people expressed interest in a product maybe they could try and have one in stock at the store...

10. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

It's not just GC. This is true for any major retailer, be it GC, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They stock what sells. If it doesn't sell, it's clearanced out and gone. Shelf space is expensive. Just because the latest fad in the microcosm of TGP is blowing up the interwebs, it doesn't mean the rest of the guitar world even cares about it. Boutique/high end gear, especially pedals, has small profit margin. Most brick and mortar stores don't move enough product to justify having such items sitting around for people to come in and "try out".

bloomz and jpage like this.
  11. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Ohhh you mean those tire kicking stores for online shoppers? Yeah they carry mostly accessories and fast moving crap because 2/3 of shoppers there or in mom pops are just there to kick tires. Musicians created that mess so musicians must deal with it.

Jerry and jpage like this.
  12. Wagster

Wagster Member

The don't even stock basic items like EL84's or rectifier tubes these days. Funny thing is my local GC carries a lot of boutique pedals yet they omit some of the basic necessities.

13. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

Actually, brick and mortar stores that can't or won't compete with online pricing created the mess. Sorry Mom & Pop, but if I have to pay an extra dollar for strings AND drive there, I'll just order them online. Its not my fault I can find stuff for cheaper. If they didn't want you "kicking the tires" they shouldn't put it out there for demo. If GC actually HAS something I want to try, I try it, and I like it, I'll buy it there because they'll price-match. But they ONLY stock major brand's top sellers, it seems, so they're taking sales away from themselves.

bloomz and gigs like this.
  14. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

I wonder if you guys will care when all specialized retail stores are gone and you can only order music gear online. Have fun repacking that huge amp for a return over mail.

Lot of commenting on the retail industry by peeps who don't seem to understand how retail works and survives.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    RobT, UncleLarry, jpage and 1 other person like this.
  15. misa

misa Supporting Member

One of the benefits I really appreciate with stores that have both an online and brick-and-mortar presence is that I can order items from their extensive catalog online and have the opportunity to return it at the local store without the hassle of return shipping if it doesn't work out.

As others have said, the items stocked at a store need to be items that are popular and will sell in a timely manner, but I do appreciate a sprinkling of rare/oddball things if the store expects me to make occasional visits.

CheeseGrater likes this.
  16. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Guitar Center has problems much larger than musicians using their stores as a demo ground. They're one of the unfortunate businesses set upon (multiple times, in fact) by venture capital firms who bought into them and used them much like a corporate credit card leaving a huge debt on the balance sheet.

When they go, a LOT of companies are going to be severely impacted. It's not going to be a good time in our industry.

bloomz likes this.
  17. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

Agreed - there are many companies who rely upon guitar center to get their products out to the masses - when GC goes belly up (they will either eventually declare bankruptcy and re-emerge as smaller, tighter company with far less resources or disappear completely) we will likely see many companies go the way of the dodo as well.

18. jaclo

jaclo Member

Exactly, i needed some preamp tubes recently and the San Diego store had none!

Wagster likes this.
  19. gigs

gigs Member

Last time I went to a relatively new local mom'n'pop guitar store, I walked in, was looking around... saw a guitar I wanted to play, asked to play it, the guy says... well... only if you're serious about buying it. I said... really? He stood there... I walked out. On my way out he said.. well.. ok..you can play it. I kept walking. Some people really shouldn't be in the retail business.

20. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

[​IMG]

....hey mister, I happen to have liked the dodo...