1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar Centre Not Doing Well According To This

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skunizzi, Dec 7, 2017.

1. prstang65

prstang65 Member

I miss Daddy's... but I'll miss guitar center too (not as much) if they go. Mom and pop stores can be amazing, they also can be down right horrible. Not to mention I don't feel like driving 100 miles to get to the closest good store.

2. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Everyone is on forums instead of playing and buying guitars from GC. :eek:

Gurn likes this.
  3. krimson

krimson Member

I took advantage and waited for 3 for 10 sales and would apply the $5 credit towards those sales. I probably have about 30 packs of strings right now. I even had my wife get a card to get strings. The sales person last week told me you could apply that $5 credit toward anything in accessories.

4. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Say what you want about GC, but their used gear is priced less than the stuff on Reverb.

egregion, Advisable Owl, EL34 and 8 others like this.
  5. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

Thankfully I don't shop at GC anymore. I get better deals and better guitars from the local mom and pop shops now that GC is suffering.

Dr.Lee, PRSAtomic and mcuguitar like this.
  6. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Why pay the obscene rents and overhead that are making brick and mortar retail a minefield? If they were going to do anything, moving to direct online sales would be smarter.

7. Gurn

Gurn Silver Supporting Member

In before
    I heard Chibson is going to ride to the rescue.

It's gonna happen one of these days.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    FennRx likes this.
  8. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Toys r Us is 5B in debt.

How is THAT even possible? They have like one employee per store.

Seriously, GC or Toys r Us- huge stores, many locations, massive inventory - AND low prices?!? How is that even possible?

BTW- back in the 00s- I believe GC was propped up by the DJ/electronica craze: HARDWARE.

Today- it is all about software. I buy direct. My racks of synths are in storage. Who needs samplers, turntables, CD players, mixers, filters, rack effects? It is all software. And dirt cheap. What you get in a DAW these days is insane. No wonder Cakewalk is dead.

fretless likes this.
  9. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

And all the soothsayers who for decades have been predicting it annually, if not monthly, will finally be able to say they were right.

10. prstang65

prstang65 Member

I believe you can apply it to absolutely anything. I know I have used it towards pedals and strap locks, I can't remember if I had used it when I bought my amp a while back.

krimson likes this.
  11. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Supporting Member

No one has spare time to play guitar anymore, ever since all the coal mines opened back up. Everyone loves working in coal mines.

Agramal, AlamoJoe, kbgear and 19 others like this.
  12. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

Guitar music is in a lull. EDM and pop rule the airwaves. What passes on the airwaves as "rock n roll" is trite and insulting. Indie was inching in a good direction for a while, but a few years ago it decided it was going in an "electronic light" direction instead. What's leftover of the rock crowd can best be described as hipster "safe-space rock". There are still some young guys tearing it up. Reignwolf, Greta Van Fleet, etc. That heavier indie stuff is cool, but it's not new either. It's not the catalyst of change.

Two things stand to save guitar music. First, Everything is cyclical. Look at what the under 20 crowd wears these days. It's a late 80/early 90's phase. "Glamor Grunge". Music is having its EDM revival and popstars are mega-celebs. Social media has totally over-saturated us with the "top 10" celebs. And not a single one of them is a "guitar god". If Justin Bieber had been a guitar slinger, every little kid under 20 would be playing guitar right now. Until "rocker" is the style de jour of pop music again, it will be dormant. It will be back though. Just takes a sensation.

Second, the rejection of technology. Again, its over-saturation. Every twat with Ableton claims the status of "DJ". Talents in blowing vape clouds surpass any musical ability. Hell, think about how many times lately you've heard the same "chain dropping on the floor" sample in a radio-friendly packaged roots-rock song. It's total regurgitation. There's already a little bit of a movement to "get back to earth" with sustainability in food, design, etc. Same thing will happen in music. Creating music the old "analog" way will be chic. The hipster thing has to full die out first. Because if the two of those things are linked, it comes off as pretentious. I do believe we're at the near end of the hipster crap though.

Sigh.

13. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

It's always been this way. Go back and look at ANY year of the billboard. Pick a random year. It's owned by pop music. It might feature a guitar, but pop rules the airwaves.

IAm MI and fretless like this.
  14. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Member

Ever since Bain Capital bought them.

15. jammwill

jammwill Member

16. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

We’ll always have “Why I Hate The Dead” threads!

Jon Silberman and fretless like this.
  17. Gurn

Gurn Silver Supporting Member

Truly sig-worthy.

18. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Because 90% of everything they merchandise in-store is junk :). They didn't adapt/age with core customer of late 70's to 90's (who's older, better player, makes more money). They should partner with Kids R Us.

rabbuhl likes this.
  19. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

SO now would be the time to go buy a bunch of high end guitars and amps on store credit. :rolleyes:

egregion, kbgear and rabbuhl like this.
  20. rydogg_sc2

rydogg_sc2 Member

I wish I knew that was a video by Brad, the Guitologist before I clicked on it. :eek: