Guitar Centre Not Doing Well According To This

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skunizzi, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I think GC's death throes signify that people found numerous better ways to buy and sell gear and none of them involve GC. I don't think it is a referendum on the life expectancy of the guitar itself. Lots of retail brick & mortars selling a wide variety of products are all dying because of Amazon, ebay, CL, etc. It's not just GC. We're only talking about GC because lots of people on TGP like to pile on and pound the crap out of GC. There is no legitimate reason why GC should be spared the same suffering that Sears, JC Penney and malls across the country are experiencing. They're subject to the same market forces.

BlackCheer72, AZJim, zenfreud and 4 others like this.
  2. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

So, you think your old-man anger translates into sociology? (No offense: I'm 61 myself.)

It doesn't. Your saying the same thing I see in dozens of threads on this forum: rock music is supposed to be about aggression and lust, and feature guitars and drums. You know why the sound changed? Because that stupid two guitars/bass/drums/lead singer thing eventually got boring. The younger rock musicians coming up were interested in songs about something else than just, "My baby, my baby, so hot, so cool, my baby." They're writing about social change, writing about the depths of a relationship. And they were interested in all the sounds that current tech made available, not trying to find a modeling amp that sounded exactly like their '57 Tweed.

We're not going back to raw rockaroll bands, because there is already so damn much of that stuff. We don't need another "Radar Love."

And frankly, rock and roll (and frankly every major change in popular music) is driven by tech. What you say about the EDM kids is exactly what the big band horns players said about Hendrix.

3. GravityJim

That decision was made to balance the debt. It goes like this:

GC owes almost all of its debt to manufacturers, primarily Fender and Gibson. They both have restrictive floor-planning rules, although unless Gibson has changed recently, theirs are far worse. With the debt climbing, they tried to mitigate it by accepting fewer guitars from both companies.

Then they took a look at sales for all the stores. If a store hardly sold hardly any high-end instruments, they would stop shipping the expensive cool stuff to that store. (I remember five years ago watching the groovy stock dwindle at my local GC, where the manager told me that, yeah, what you're looking for just doesn't come to us anymore, for these reasons.)

So, all the really cool stuff goes to major markets (where a disproportionate number of people with major disposable income live), and the smaller stores get a pile of $600 guitars. How this is effective GC's bottom line is anybody's guess, but you for sure can't tell by looking at a GC in a medium sized city.

Also, you can strike the phrase "better player" from your laundry lists. Better players don't have more money. They're broke, because they play all the time. The guys with the bux for lawyers guitars, are, in my experience, terrible.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Let's face it - your relic Strat and mint Plexi are the bitcoins of the vintage instrument collectors market - at their peak and soon to have a miniscule audience.

5. TheCiscoKid784

TheCiscoKid784 Supporting Member

I’m 33...I’ve got a long road of cantankery ahead of me. :)

[​IMG]

Kyle B, Lt Dak, fretless and 3 others like this.
  6. GravityJim

Dude! I hope you take this as a compliment, but you sound WAY older than 33. And I love that Simpsons still.

7. AR999

AR999 Supporting Member

Guitar Center stores are too close together and the real estate is expensive, they are being smart and throwing their money into Musician's Friend, a call center and a warehouse in Kansas City... I'll buy tiny new stuff from them, but online used is my go-to.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Don't agree 100%, but this post needs to be given more thought. GM carries on even though the investors got screwed. GC can continue because the void that's left if they liquidate, is a more awful prospect than if something gets worked out to keep GC around.

Goodness knows, I can think of a business model right now where none of the investors ever got a fair shake, and yet the wealthy "scion" at the head of the thing carries forward as though nothing ever went wrong.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

This has been the precise opposite, for me. The only time I ever got a shockingly good deal from a Ma and Pa place, was when the store was in its last days before the locks were changed, and the soon to be ex proprietor needed some serious cash and I bought like 25% of his in store USA sourced inventory, down to stands, cases and pickup sets.

10. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

OT, but that movie scared the poop out of me when I was a kid, and snuck into the room when my pops was watching it. ESPECIALLY that part.

11. Artjr

Artjr Member

If they closed Guitar Center, I don't know what I'd do. That would just be awful. It would mean keeping a guitar longer than 45 days. Where would I meet people when selling things on CL? This is horrible news.

uab9253 likes this.
  12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

There have been many posts of "GC sucks because they have no newer gear for me to try out and buy somewhere else!"

Tire kicking options now limited. Just in the DMS section a member was pissed at GC because he drove 50+ miles to try a product out before ordering from Sweetwater. Lame. I replied LOL

13. 335guy

335guy Member

and with a deferred payment plan ( no payments for one yr ) :idea

kbgear likes this.
  14. kustombob

kustombob Member

The Guitar Center in Louisville Ky' always has many nice guitars. Many way over a grand and more. They seem to always have a good crowd in their. I do not like to see any buisness fail' it has a effect on many people. They will be fine. My god Pennys and Sears is still going so GC will make it though.

egregion and fretless like this.
  15. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

You just recited about 90% of modern bro-country lyrics.

AlamoJoe and GravityJim like this.
  16. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I'd be surprised to see Sears last 2018.
    They sold off Craftsman.
    The end is near.

IAm MI and fretless like this.
  17. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Don't forget that Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Music 123 and others are owned by the same company.

Fender's owed massive amounts of money by them as well. If Guitar Center bites it other companies will be in deep Guano as well.

IAm MI likes this.
  18. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Certainly Musician's Friend must be doing as well or better than most online resellers. My bet is chapter 11, store closings (maybe all but a few), and MF will soldier on. I hate to see this, because it will only be a short while before Amazon figures out the music business.

19. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

This is Amazon's fault. Regulators were too slow to respond to the monopoly and illegal practices. I mean, who actually thought brick and mortal could compete against a business that didn't have to charge sales tax? And who has enough investors that they can undercut everyone's price without having to make a profit?

All the retail shops go up in smoke in five years. Malls shut down because the anchor stores pull out (Macy's, Sears, Norstroms), they start renting space to anyone, and once all the competition is done, Bezos starts raising the prices.

What will they do, break up amazon into different zones like they did the phone companies in the 80s? Amazon west, amazon east, amazon south, etc... Too little too late. Bezos will control all retail, majority of server farms, the media, and 50 years from now USA will be a serfdom.

20. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

I guess those complaining about GC will then have fun ordering everything from Amazon, waiting 3 days for special cables and 10+ days for more exotic parts shipped from China. Even Prime takes 3 days nowadays for me. And most <20$ sales have now shipping added to the order. Unless you of course order a 20pack of guitar strings.