Guitar Centre Not Doing Well According To This

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skunizzi, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Flaming Yawn

Flaming Yawn Member

Yeah, and they can take Squire with them. Please.

kbgear, rickcard71 and fretless like this.
  2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Change the Name to DJ sound system center and have a little section for guitars n amps......

3. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Since they opened distro locations in all 50 states, Amazon has been charging sales tax as required by state laws.

And, seriously, monopoly? What do they have monopoly on? Nothing. Everything they sell can be bought in dozens if not 100s of other places. They don’t even have a monopoly on e-tail sales, so they’re not raising prices.

4. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

It comes from having synergy across business units.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...exactly-does-amazon-become-a-monopoly/530616/

egregion likes this.
  5. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, Amazon is big, big, big. But that doesn’t make them a monopoly. Take the Whole Foods acquisition as an example. In my town you can buy groceries from Safeway, Lucky, Oliver’s (a local employee-owned chain with far better “natural” choices than WF), G&C and a few single-location stores that specialize in local produce or serving a neighborhood that’s far from the others. We have a Whole Foods, too, but it’s by far the least popular option. How does Amazon’s ownership of WF make them (or even bring them closer to being) a monopoly?

kbgear, fretless and Lt Dak like this.
  6. SciFlyer

SciFlyer Supporting Member

Good thing 900 Dollar Generals are scheduled to open next year!

gtrdave likes this.
  7. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

Went there today. I picked up and quickly ran through six guitars while the wife was visiting a friend with the thought that if anything jumped out at me, I'd grab it. Oh well. Not a chance. Every single one had the "new" tag but looked like they had all been played for months. That too, can't be great for business. A host of detuned and/or out of tune cookie cutter shreddies that were all Indonesian made, averaging $800. Who on earth wants to pay new prices for what are factually used guitars and then get hit with 6-8% sales tax on top of it? The kids drop in and hammer on the wall stock for hours upon end, weeks upon weeks, and then finally buy 'em online, fresh out of the box for less. I can't imagine any scenario on earth where this is a great business model.

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

It's a shame because there's so many good guitars and amps out there these days. Not to mention all kinds of effects etc. Might they go under because young people just aren't buying electric guitars?

9. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

It probably needs to be rebranded to Music R Us or something similarly dumb.

10. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Post #8000 in the last 5 years that GC is closing any day...I go into one of three of them an a quarterly basis, during the week, and they are always fairly busy. The one in Atlanta just has a complete remodel, that wasn't cheap, and isn't done by dying companies. Go in that one on the weekends and forget it, it's slammed.

fretless likes this.
  11. fescue

fescue Member

This just in from the newsroom...... all guitar related companies will be kaput in 2018.

12. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Without the return policy, I buy from Sweetwater. Just in the past two weeks I've ordered two items worth roughly $100. I kept one but returned the other.

13. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

"Would you like the extended warranty?" becomes....

"Would you like fries with that?"

ultradust likes this.
  14. Jay K

Jay K Member

Does anyone know what percentage of their guitar sales result in a return? I hear a lot of anecdotal information to the effect their return policy is a problem for their business, but I have never seen any information about how often such returns actually happen. And "once is enough" isn't an answer!

15. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Read the article. Having information from one business unit helps them compete unfairly in others.

Article explains changing definition of monopoly and violation of anti trust.

16. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

I think its neither. I think the internet has just put a squeeze on every single brick and mortar retail business.

Wesman61 likes this.
  17. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

True.

Good point.

Yup.

And Epiphone.

Not such a bad idea.

18. Curtis james

Curtis james Silver Supporting Member

How can they survive?......when it’s “us” 300,000 + musicians and wanna-b’s alike are basically borrowing each other’s gear? And that’s just this forum alone !?

TGP, Reverb, Fleabay, Craigslist.....you name; it is our garage sale of 25-50% off of any retail guitar or amp the working, or day dreaming musician could ever need, or want.

Swapping, flipping and tripping over gear that’s really meant to outlast our lifetimes, and probably our children’s as well.

Folks, we have reached “guitar-a-thon” saturation overload in the music gear, lovers paradise.

It’s true and a sad reality that if your in the largest of company’s, with the most overhead.....have to Balance their books.....with the price of a new guitar or amp or whatever with a price tag that also could buy meat, for a family of four: for a year.....

yes, your in trouble.

I think I’d be lookin for a job at Reverb

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    semi-hollowbody likes this.
  19. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Why all the dislike for Epiphone and Squire? I dislike most current stuff from them too. Just asking.

20. Flaming Yawn

Flaming Yawn Member

I have nothing against Squier........

It's that pesky Squire that I keep seeing people talk about that needs to go bye bye.