• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitar chairs (stools, armless computer chairs, drum throne, etc). What do you use?

DeadCell

Ive been using an off-brand drum throne that I got a few years back when my wife bought me an Alesis DM6 kit.

Well, this thing squeaks, it's uncomfortable, and it takes some of the fun out of playing guitar.... so I stand most of the time.

Anyone have any good specific recommendations for seating? Preferably $100 or less.

elijah

I use a 50's style sparkle red diner chair, but only because I have several that aren't being used in the kitchen.

Rogan1990

A guitarist friend of mine showed me this trick:

1. Buy one of those cheap office chairs that you have to assemble, base of the chair(stool), back rest of the chair, and 2 arms.
2. Assemble it with only one arm, leave the other off. (Leave off the right arm if you're a righty, the left arm if you're a lefty)
3. This leaves room for the guitar body to hang over your leg while you sit and play.

Most of these office chairs cost about $40 at Staples/OfficeMax or another similar store

Reactions: MHG

jackrussel

Right now I'm rocking this, courtesy of my daughter:
IMG_20160111_204405_934_zpsnkfwyyxs.jpg

DaveKS

Hit thrift stores look for armless low bar stools or dinning room chairs. Padding for my fat old bottom is essential. Back padding optional but I prefer it.

spin_prod_613132601

Axis29

I had an office chair that I never installed the arms on for years...

My wife and I are always thinking armless chairs when we look at furniture for whatever room she sticks me in these days.

I was super excited when I happened upon an armless folding lawn chair. I take it with me when I think I am going somewhere to jam outside during the warmer months.

I had a drum thrown, but it had no back rest... I kinda like having a back rest and been thinking about investing in a decent one... But, I haven't quite broken down and dropped the dough.

Silver Supporting Member
cheap drum throne but i also do a ton of playing lounging on my couch. i always have a guitar in my lap when watching tv, movies etc

Fireproof

Platinum Supporting Member
I use 2 of these. One in my home office and one in my "studio/music room". Comfortable, but can easily pick up a guitar and play without worrying about arms getting in the way:

Boss Leather Plus Posture Task Chair Without Arms
$60 at Amazon. (For some reason the stupid forum keeps reformatting the link to some "media" tag and it's not media so it won't show up)

61H0BxWhqYL._SL1404_.jpg

I also have a couple guitar stools in my studio/music room.

stevel

cross-legged on the floor (hunched over pedalboard pressing buttons with hands)
laying back on the couch, head slightly elevated.
knees up, on the floor, leaning against the couch.
Office chairs with no arms.
Edge of sofa or ottoman.
Classical Guitar - armless office chair set to specific height and footstool and proper position.

Otherwise, when I'm seriously playing, I'm standing.

Pablomago

I got an armless office chair that has a wood or fiberglass (I can't tell) seat and back from a friend's Thrift Store. I helped him in his booth at a fair and I sat in the chair all day and felt comfortable. I offered to buy it and he gave it to me. The height is adjustable.

champion ruby

If you're still playing the drums then drop some money on a stool. Gibraltar 9608 is great value under $100 and never wobbles.

If your cheapo drum stool is the threaded kind then fill it with JB weld and it won't wobble.

My chair of choice is a cheap plastic Ikea armless student chair with a sheep skin on it.

jimijimmyjeffy

The best is just a generic straight chair with no arms. Straight back. Padded preferred but not critical. Nothing where the back is flimsy or tilts. Not taller than normal. Then you can cross your right leg like flamenco players do, to further improve your playing posture or hand access.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom