Guitar Color

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The Golden Boy, Jul 31, 2008.

Does The Color Of Your Guitar Matter?

1. My Love Is Colorblind

2. If It Sounds And Plays Well- I Can Deal With It

3. The Appearance Of The Instrument Is Important To Me!

4. "You're No Daisy, You're No Daisy At All!!"

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

As an offshoot of the "Guitar Weight/Scale" thread thing...

Is a guitar's color or finish important to you?

Would the color or finish be a deal breaker?

(I forgot to click the poll option in the last thread)

2. mds

mds Member

After many years of buying and selling guitars, anything is a dealbreaker for me...if there is something that bugs me now, its only gonna bug me more 2 years from now...at this point I only buy instruments that are perfect to me give or take some tweaks I know I can take care of...

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Absolutely. Though I don't think I am too picky, there are plenty of colors, designs, paint schemes that just don't do it for me.

4. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

There are some colors I don't like, many more that I do. I know at least once I tried out about five of the same model in a store, and bought the one with the color I liked least--but I didn't dislike that color. Sometimes the color has mattered though, I guess it just depends.

I probably wouldn't buy a guitar with a color I really didn't like, but I'm open.

I wouldn't buy a Gold Top that wasn't gold.

5. whitehall

whitehall Member

Yep I've owned tons of guitars, passed up some well playing ones just becuse they were ugly colors. But that's just how it is. Actually, if the neck profile, the fret size, and the weight were spot on I'd put up with an ugly finish.

6. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I bought a used Jag that was black when I wasn't really looking for a black guitar but after I got it it became my favorite color scheme. So I'm more open to colors but I wouldn't want to get a 12 lbs Tele.

7. Michael T

Michael T Member

I like flashy guitars up to a point.

Not a fan of fancy maple tops at all anymore...feel that the proliferation of veneers and photoflame has ruined the look.

Lately I like black guitars.

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Not me. Much.

[​IMG]

Someone had to be the first to post a pic on this thread.

9. MartinC

MartinC Member

Doesn't have to be a specific colour, and I think I have a wide range of colours that I think are fine ... but there are a few colours that I wouldn't bother picking up to try ... there's usually a choice, and there usually isn't just one good playing/sounding guitar in a dodgy colour

10. Dave

Dave Member

The way I see it, there's such a huge variety of guitars available nowadays there's no reason to buy one that I don't like the looks of. But then, I'm not picky. There's only a handful of colors that I don't like on a guitar.

11. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I'll admit it... I'm kind of superficial in this dept... I'm lucky to have 2 beautiful looking AND sounding guitars but you could probably make the best sounding guitar in the world and i would pass on it if it was butt ugly (see: moog guitar)

and im picky... i think a lot of quilt tops are cheesy... plain finishes are... well... plain... I like a nice natural wood finish or a good looking sunburst. my gibson is one of the rare quilt tops i really like.

theres a couple G&L finishes that really catch my eye too... totally killed my GAS for a PRS, even though i've never actually gotten the chance to play either, haha

12. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

not colour, Gold hardware. I'd so rather have chrome.
    that being said, sometimes one doesn't have the option, and I can get around it for the right instrument.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

VaughanC says finish doesn't matter. I admire him for that, as it really shouldn't.

However, I'm a little more vain than that. There are some colors I just can't stand, others I'm plain sick of and have been for years and a few I like but wouldn't be caught dead owning.

The "wouldn't be caught dead" colors would have to include shell pink. I think it's a great color but you better have some serious chops to play it and that, I don't have. I'm the maestro of mediocre!:(

14. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Huge +1 to that on all accounts. After buying and selling for enough years, you get good at knowing what it is you like and dislike and you find yourself pickier than ever. Nowadays, a guitar just isn't worth purchasing if it isn't exactly what I'm looking for (and that's fully taking into account the aesthetics).

A guitar is an instrument that goes beyond a simple musical tool, you form a bond with it, it's personal. A guitar that looks great inspires the individual, encourages the individual to delve deeper with it. If a guitar doesn't fit what you want, why buy it? You'll end up with regrets for purchasing it in the long run (atleast I've found myself in that position at times).

15. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

I won't buy a black, white, blue, or green guitar. They just don't go with my wardrobe and coloring - I'm an Autumn. :)

Fortunately, that leaves plenty of others.

16. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Not surprisingly, I chose "You're No Daisy, You're No Daisy At All!!"

17. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

I picked the "looks are important to me" choice, but I don't have any pre-conceived ideas in my head about what finishes I do or don't like. For me, part of finding the right guitar is finding one that catches my eye. I have a transparent blue Les Paul and Korina Flying V, and a Black Firebird, so there's no specific criteria involved.

I did see a double-bound transparent yellow Les Paul a few months ago that played really nice, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it, because something about the look just didn't grab me.

18. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I'm only flexible to a point when it comes to color.
    Mostly I like them conservatively traditionally finished.

Think about it this way;
    Color is superficial but why have a guitar you don't like something about?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  19. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Me too!
    [​IMG]

20. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

i will never own a red guitar.