Guitar colors and effects on your playing

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Speed_Racer71, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

do you feel that a certain color brings out certain moods when you play? for some reason red just plain messes me up as in i think i stare at it and it zaps my playing.
    i remember seeing a study years ago on 20/20 or one of the other shows like that. they took a guy and some weights and had two rooms painted different colors. one color he lifted more, the other color he couldnt lift as much.
    daphne & sonic blue, brings out well the "blues" when i pick one up. anybody else like this or do i need to reserve a room at the hospital? lol

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I just like having something a bit unique...but they both sound like dreams. I'm not a big Tele guy, but the Strat is a dream to play.

[​IMG]

3. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

Beyond just color, I think anytime you play a guitar that doesn't look or feel right to you, your playing suffers big time. I've never done so, but I'm guessing that if I ever had to play a pointy hot pink shredder axe, my hands would eventually freeze up, purely out of shame.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

hmm. come to think of it, since i came from the acoustic world, my electrics have to either sorta look acousticish with some real wood showing or be brown at least, or have some kind of acoustic response like a semi-hollowbody. otherwise I descend into some kind of adolescent EVH wanking - and badly at that.

5. paulscape

paulscape Member

Interesting question. The human mind can perceive sound as a colour (just try hallucinogens) - all our senses are connected together as a system that follows certain patterns and imprints. It would be the same for shape aswell etc. Guitars are highly symbolic 'weapons' that probably evoke not only personal emotions but deep cultural motif's and symbolism that would affect playing. For me its just the overall vibe - distracting, difficult, gimmicky or very very engaging. Kinda like tipsy women in different coloured dresses at an evening ball.

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

I'm not usually staring at the color of the guitar while playing, only when NOT playing, so for me, not at all.

7. Thwap

Thwap Member

I'm going with this answer. The color may make me choose one over the other as far as picking it up that day...but other than that, no influence.

8. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I totally buy into the color difference affecting my perception of sound. I think I could be comfortable pulling off a nice jazz sound out of sunburst Fender with a rosewood fingerboard. I think it would be more difficult mentally pulling it off with a Fiesta Red, maple board. In truth, I could probably get an identical sound. However, the way I visualize music is at least subconsciously affected by the guitar's color.

Has anyone thought about the colors that you perceive when you listen to your favorite tunes? To me, Kashmir always seems the same color as the cover to Physical Grafitti. Stairway to Heaven always seems the same color as the cover to Houses of the Holy. Maybe I am a bit crazy.

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Never thought about color much as it's the last thing I consider when I'm looking to purchase a guitar.

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Where did I put my Mood Ring?

Don't know if it affects my playing at all but I do prefer natural looking colors on my guitars.
    I can say that I am comfortable with natural looking sunbursts and colors actually naturally occuring.

11. Martian

Martian Member

I'm a dyed in the wool Strat player. Several people have told me over the years that I sound/play best on sunburst or natural finished Strats. Frankly, I thought the notion was preposterous but based on what I'm reading here, maybe there really is something to it.

12. justonwo

justonwo Member

There's actually a rare condition that causes the response from one sense to overlap with another, which can result in perceiving sounds as certain colors. It's called synesthesia.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041123153855.htm

At any rate, I'm not sure that the color of my guitars affects my playing except that the more attractive ones are more likely to be picked up. :)

13. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

Every guitar I own is totally different. Not one of my Strats are a like and the neck is what puts in the mood. It could be rosewood or maple, depending on my mood for that day. Style has another thing that plays into it for me. The guitar has to be cool looking and not something that came from outer space. I never could get into the Jackson guitars or that Ibanez Jem model that was bright green. :munch

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I have trouble deciding which strings to use and now I have to consider all this, too?:worried

15. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

That's why I have a guitar that is all colors all of the time. That way I'm always prepared for any mood that strikes me. :D

[​IMG]

16. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I still really love that color.:YinYang

17. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

I bought this in the emporium.
    It looks like Brian Wilson's popsicle.
    I think the color affects what I play for sure.
    It makes feel all warm and fuzzy.

[​IMG]

18. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Is this Eric Johnson?

19. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

But Man, you must go through a lot of batteries!

20. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

:D Actually that StarrSwitch on there (it's long gone now) would light up different colors too. Well, just green or red depending on which switch was pushed, but it's back to a trusty batteryless 5way now though.