Guitar comparison

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by johnmfer, May 23, 2006.

1. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

http://minibosses.com/john/guitarComparisons.mp3 (2.2 MB 128Kbps)

My band Chief Beef did a demo this weekend. Literally, it took six hours from setup to burning the final mix to CD. The purpose of the demo is to nitpick all the songs in preparation for recording a full length in a real studio in about five weeks. Some of the playing is sub-par, but it was just a quick demo for our own use.

The MP3 above is made of two clips from an instrumental we played twice. We tried it at two tempos 5bpm apart. I played two different guitars just for grins, otherwise they're set up identically.

The first half of the clip above I played my Warmoth Jazzmaster, ash body, 22 fret neck with stainless frets, Schaller 475 roller bridge (top loader), Fender AVRI Jazzmaster pickups, poly finish. The second half of clip I played my redwood Tele I just finished putting together, alder body with 1/4" figured redwood top, Allparts TMNF-FAT neck with stock frets (one piece maple), Allparts modern tele bridge, Fender CS Nocaster pickups, nitro finish all around.

Amp setup is exactly the same, no knob tweaks, no nothing. Egnater TOL50 head (distortion channel) into an '80s Marshall 1960AV cab, mic'ed with a 58 run through a Behringer MX3242 mixer to an Alesis ADAT LX-20.

2. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Hey thats really cool-youve got old school new Wave punk feel-with some
    modern voicings-thats gonna be great CD!!

I really like the tone & amount of distortion-just perfect.

3. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

The Jazzmaster sounds bigger on the open chords, but I like the milkyness of the Tele on the single note riffy stuff.