Guitar demos on YT - WTF!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Whittlez, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

So I wanted to watch a review video or two on YouTube of a guitar I am considering

I find three different videos and in every case there was a substantial amount of playing time- between two minutes and six minutes.

In all three there was not literally one chord played the entire time.

do people not understand that in most situations- certainly in rock 'n' roll- most of the time people are playing a guitar they are playing chords not solos? I am talking playing in a band. Or just playing SONGS vs endless noodling .

and regardless even if people only played chords 20% of the time, is it not important to hear what a guitar sounds like when you are strumming chords versus playing single notes or double stops?

And this was not a coincidence with just these three videos. it is something that has bothered me many times and it seems most reviewers seem to think that chords are unimportant and all that matters for the viewer is playing solos or riffs!

I think an ego thing is part of it to for many players in that they feel if they are not showing off their solo chops the world will come crashing down around them and God forbid they play a few simple chords!

Excuse the rant but I just find this ridiculous and I also find it related to how people judge guitarists in whenever I read the thread about who the best guitarist is , almost all if not all the emphasis is placed on their solo chops . Pete Townsend is a shining example of a guitarist who is simply fantastic but doesn't play many solos, and frankly his solos aren't anything special but his rhythm work is astounding and legendary.

but aside from that tangent a guitar needs to sound good with both chords and individual notes and frankly everything in between and how anybody can think a review is useful if all they do is play chords and maybe some riffs boggles my mind.

Sorry for the rant - not really - but geeeeeez

pressure, CapnRex, Ncp10 and 13 others like this.
  2. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of guitar demos :confused:

My main gripe is never....NEVER a single clean note or chord.
    Just crank up the distortion pedal and wank away....that tells me absolutely nothing about the guitar, pickups, whatever you're trying to demonstrate.

pressure, Ncp10, Tritone and 12 others like this.
  3. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Amen! Same goes for a lot of overdrive pedals.....and pedals in general.

4. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    I hate that and I hate WAY too much talking.

Then you have playing in a live room with nothing but the camera mic; playing so low in volume I can hear the strings acoustically; and on and on.

All of these things and more while having to listen to YouTube, which is bad enough by itself.

Did I mention people who can barely play?
    Yeah, YT has plenty of those too.

Ncp10, fretless, FiestaRed and 2 others like this.
  5. grumphh

grumphh Member

Never mind the actual playing - but a load of so-called "demo" videos are recorded with a phone, making them less than useless.
    Although, coincidentally, those vids most often happen to be from people who like to play with gratuitous amounts of distortion. Seen some phone recorded vids of nice gear and playing too, though - being inept at recording is not only for metallers.

And of course the vids where someone uses a phone or has a mic in the room and then plays to a backing track of thundering metal making hearing the gear in question completely impossible :D

...interestingly enough, many people seem to love phone videos - on this very forum i got into a veritable s#itstorm when i pointed out that a dealers presentation (phone recording) of a vintage Gretsch had atrocious sound quality :D

6. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

I sometimes find the opposite. Only chords. The best ones take you through every pickup position both clean and dirty and both chords and single notes.

And clean should be CLEAN!

You know who does this well? Greg Koch for Wildwood.

Whittlez, Decal, russiancrowe and 4 others like this.
  7. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Some dude ripping solos and wanka wanka on a guitar tells me nothing about it.

Give me single notes, big chords and two-string stops from open and up the neck played with fingers and pick, softly, with a medium attack and with a hard attack.

Let me hear some notes and chords held long.

Then maybe some familiar licks.

Play through an amp clean and drive sound that everyone knows the sound of.

Show us a basic chord progression and simple lick in all pickup positions. Show us the impact of volume control and tone control.

Play it against an American Strat, Les Paul or Ibanez so we have a point of reference.

Ok, now I know something about the guitar other than "some guy can play fast on it"

Now everyone complain about how long and boring the video is.

StuartMac, SciFlyer and sportycliff like this.
  8. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Well...they're free.
    I guess you get what you pay for.

until, massacre, RolandKorg and 5 others like this.
  9. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

YouTube guitar reviews are utterly useless. Tell me absolutely nothing useful. Can be kinda entertaining tho!

...But that’s all it is. Those videos are out there for amusement, or they’re thinly veiled ads, or the reviewer is an aspiring YouTube celebrity or whatever

10. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

Just go to Pete Thorn's Channel and watch proper demo's.

11. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Grab a camera and show them how it’s done.

12. grumphh

grumphh Member

If this is some rant about "youtube compression" making it impossible to hear details, wrong. Just stick a set of good speakers (of course NOT PC speakers) on your PC and audio quality is more than sufficient for gear demos.

But otherwise i too think that most are useless. Especially on their own.

However, in two scenarios they can be good.
    1. In a well recorded (and edited) "back to back" comparison video, where (according to the video maker) nothing in the recording process has been changed between takes.

2. If you listen to a bunch of fair- to well-recorded videos of the same type of guitar/gear you can get an idea of its "inherent tonality", despite all the different recordings. Or perhaps because of the differences in recording - if a guitar/pickup type/Other piece of gear has a special sound, it gets more obvious if it is audible across a bunch of different recordings.
    (To illustrate this with an extreme example: Even a phone video at lowest quality setting won't make a Fender Tweed amp sound like a Dual Rectifier)

13. texrun38

texrun38 Supporting Member

The Acoustic Letter is my favorite. The guy plays chords and lets them ring out, then plays three or four simple progressions of various speed etc. The thing I love about them, aside from the pro level recording tools, is 95% of the time he plays the exact same thing, so comparing guitars is actually possible. His name escapes me now, but he’s the dark headed guy with a few arm tattoos and he plays exceptionally well and gives great data points that are clear, concise and useful. I bought a Martin from them based on his vids and it is fantastic.

agentmatt, lexreverb and monty like this.
  14. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

If I can hear the ‘electric’ guitar acoustically, at all, I immediately turn the video off. I’m there to hear the pedal.

15. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Silver Supporting Member

My beef is that few reviewers allow chords or notes to decay fully.
    This is especially irritating with pedals, where you want to know how a fuzz sustains and ends.

Bertiman likes this.
  16. JK47

JK47 Member

Pretty simple: The only 2 people who should be allowed to do demos are Greg Koch and Pete Thorn.

C-4, jetydosa, uab9253 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Definitely good enough to hear those sweet tones.

18. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

Pretty much this. There are a small group of guys that turn demos into an art form. I also like the players that Kemper has featured. I think a good demo gives you a flavor for what the product can do, and also gives you some ideas as to what you can do with it.

JK47 likes this.
  19. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Especially when Koch is playing through a Dumble. Great reference tone.

20. monty

monty Member

One of the thing I love about Phil X's vids, he plays a lot of songs.

massacre, scelerat and texrun38 like this.