1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar demos on YT - WTF!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Whittlez, Dec 6, 2017.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Yep, most people see problems and simply complain that things are not the way they want them to be.

Other people see problems as an opportunity to make something better. We should all aspire to be one of those people.

Having said that, I can generally find quality demos of something I'm interested in.

mute likes this.
  2. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

Greg Koch IS a great demo'er

I was going to mention him

Granted , I suspect he could make a First Act played through an AM radio sound good

JK47 likes this.
  3. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

That's a REALLY good point about the 'reference' guitar

It's like having a control in a scientific study

4. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

Yea. He's good

I saw where he rolled off the volume and showed how the pickups cleaned up

Useful

Even went from soft to hard strum to show the same thing

He's a guitarist who actually played in BANDS and understands rhythm guitar not just solos and how music is made

5. tibone

tibone Member

But this is the only thing that matters. That the guy demoing the guitar can play faster than you (or i) can play.
    (i may have been using this sarcasm thing i learned lately.. maybe).

LeicaBossNJ likes this.
  6. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

TPG's version of "does it djent"? is:

"does it blooze noodle"?

But yes, I get what the OP is saying

7. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I think Gregory Koch's demos for Wildwood guitars are stellar. He always goes through all the pickups, clean then dirty and almost always seems to play stuff that really shows the guitar at its best. He makes me want every guitar he touches. Lots of musical, chordal stuff and not just wankery

TubeStack and Da Geezer like this.
  8. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I like his current setup of clean Supro and Dirty Friedman. Or at least I think that's his standard lately.

9. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

10. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I've thought about doing some demos on my channel, which really isn't a channel, it's just mostly small performances and 70's rockstar radio interviews I've done over the years. But the thought of all of the brutal comments is a bit of a deterrent. I may take the plunge at some point as I have a lot of guitars and I agree with many of the shortcomings mentioned here. I had not really thought about the "ring-out" aspect, but I'll try to keep that in mind when doing them.

I hate when they are demoing guitars and put a ton of effects on. Maybe a little reverb or delay but that's it. I don't need to know how it sounds thru a POG.

11. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

It's pretty funny when those guys switch to a clean sound and can only play an open d, c add9, and g chords. Instantly outed as wankers!

Zatyricon likes this.
  12. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Agree....he's my favorite

uab9253 likes this.
  13. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

OP,

I play chords, single lines, double stops; open and closed voicings, you name it. I let stuff ring out. I do this both clean and overdriven. I play the same parts on each pickup configuration and label everything thoroughly. I play everything in time, so you can best hear the difference between pickups. Also, I use two mics or I use a reactive load box and impulse responses. And I don’t say a single word.

And yet, no one subscribes to my channel.

So, there’s that.

Here, this is some of what I do:

j.s.tonehound likes this.
  14. AndyC.

AndyC. Supporting Member

I think that's Tony Polecastro you're talking about. He's great. I think his relaxed, conversational style makes him one of the best reviewers out there. Though he's not with Acoustic Letter anymore. He has his own channel now, I think called Acoustic Life.

agentmatt and texrun38 like this.
  15. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

I'll try and remember to subscribe at some point this weekend. I can never remember my login for YT and I need to be home to do it.

That Mojo King demo is basically perfect and the guitar/you sound great! The series / parallel demonstration is EXACTLY what I would hope for.

cosmic_ape likes this.
  16. Panzer917

Panzer917 Member

Expecting the same thing from all YouTube posters is a unreasonable.

BTW, this seemed a lot more snarky than intended. I just don't have time to rewrite.

There are several different categories of posters and the expectations should vary for each

Pete Thorn type demos....are well done, but are paid advertisements. If you want something different from this type of channel then contacting the host or manufacturer is perfectly reasonable.

Philip McKnight/Know your Gear type channel..... Self financed, but independent. Gray area......neither the channel or viewer has an obligation to the other. Often they are looking to be part of a larger group or club, so are Interested in the feedback of viewers. Support the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't.

Cellphone or embryonic channels. They range from yearning for interaction to talking to a mirror for company. They need to be taken individually without expectation........

Only you can make the exact high quality, independent, specific performance based content you are looking for.

I'm personally looking for a gear channel focused on 70-80's Prog and Metal gear. With lots of pointy guitars and garish paint jobs. With lots of Genesis and Queensryche content. Unfortunately I don't have the time, money or will to do it myself, so I will await the charity of others to do it first.

JK47 likes this.
  17. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree. It's a problem with most demos of any piece of gear- too much overdriven wankery.
    With guitar though I think the most important sonic information comes from how a guitar sounds played by a good player who plays the majority of the demo into a clean amp of common variety- Deluxe Reverb or something like that. Then at the end use a simple overdrive to go through some quick power chords and some lead lines.
    I like the way Greg Koch does his demos. He sometimes adds a BB pre-amp which will give everyone a basic idea how it's going to react with a drive pedal.

18. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Member

I do wish they would play more rhythms but I think the reason is a lot of these guys have a channel and cater more to their subscribers than the people searching for a review on a potential purchase. In that case chording would get boring and they probably feel the need to be inventive and play more solo'ish stuff

19. Juan Tuthri

Juan Tuthri Supporting Member

Its because everyone knows left handed guitars sound completely different than right :p

cosmic_ape likes this.
  20. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

It's true. A lot of gear demos are actually player demos.