Guitar direct into desk: which unit?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by blueprint, Aug 24, 2006.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

Hi all,

I have to purchase some piece of gear to run my guitar direct into the PA of my new Top 40 band...

I plan to record that way too.

Here is what I need:

- pedalboard or rack with pedal possibilities.
    - very good clean and crunch tones, maybe a little more for lead stuff but I have no use for "over the top" distortion or heavy metal tones.
    - dynamics would be a great plus!
    - basic effects such as reverb and delay.
    - easy editing, with buttons if possible.
    - at least some "user presets"

Can you put a name on this rare bird?

Any help or comment will be appreciate!

2. Zanary

Zanary Member

I'd add the BOSS GT-8 to your list of possibilities. It's quite a monster...and I've had great luck with the GT series.

3. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Another plug for the GT-8. I've had mine for about a month or so now and it sounds great at low volumes through my recording setup, which is also my stereo (Roland VM-3100 mixer, Denon preamp, Adcom amp, and Kef speakers). It sounds good through my Carr Rambler as well. This thing does great crunch sounds IMHO.

Whatever you get don't settle for the factory patches, get in there and make it yours. A flat response, full range amp, like your PA, is usually gonna sound better than running it through a guitar amp.

Here are some helpful web sites:

Multieffects shootout:
    http://www.thestompbox.net/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=21

The GT-8s biggest weakness is no Roland software to setup the beast with your computer, but dedicated GT users have solved that problem:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert.redding/GT8_Editor.exe

More info in the GT editor at this very good Boss Gt forum:
    http://www.bossgtcentral.com/index.php

Good Luck and enjoy the hunt

:dude

4. g-nem

g-nem Member

Ditch the digital modelers and get a hughes and kettner tubeman- less flexibility but more tone for my money- I've got a top 40 gig tomorrow where I'll use the tubeman and a boss dd20 as my whole rig.

5. blueprint

blueprint Member

Thanks a lot for the replies and cool links!
    I'm more and more interested by the Zoom G9.2tt...
    Any opinion about it?
    :)

6. g-nem

g-nem Member

A friend of mine has a zoom g2, and despite the hype I was underwhelmed. He recorded a metal track with it for a cartoon show, and had to come over to my studio to rerecord it with real amps for the show to accept it. But, YMMV.

7. DaveDaveDave

DaveDaveDave Member

Zoom is definetly a company I'd avoid... I've tried several of their boxes over the past 20 years, and they've always sounded, well, noisy, and very transitor-like.

The new Vox modelling gears is VERY impressive, to my ears. I've never heard tones that sweet and organic sounding coming from a digital modeller - very impressive indeed - I think the last thing I'd played was a Valvetronix amp, but I've also tried the Tonelab SE - they sound pretty much the same.

I've never been a Pod fan, but their newer XT line sounds perfectly fine to me. What's really interesting about them is how many upgrades and options they have - I think the Pod product line is better supported than anything else out there, and will probably outlive everything else.

I've played the Boss GT-5 and GT-6. Unless the GT-8 is a completely different animal, I'd steer clear of it. All the Boss pedal recreations sound great, but their amp sims do nothing for me. COSM sounds like boss EQ and reverb pedals after boss distortion pedals - at least to my ears on the older models.

Another hot tip if you're on the cheap - Yamaha modelling is actually pretty nice sounding and their Magic Stomp II pedal is on sale at guitar center for $80 right now. I keep one of those on my pedal board where it does duty for modulation and reverb effects, but the amp sims are really usable. Unfortuneatly, the interface leaves a lot to be desired.

Hope this helps,
    DaveDaveDave

legalese small print: These opinions are the opinions of DaveDaveDave alone and not necessarily the opinions of any one else on the planet, the universe or elsewhere. Explicit disparagement of your gear described above or elsewhere herein may or may not accurately relate to your taste in tone or the bumpiness of your eardrums ;)