Guitar direct question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Frater B, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Frater B

Frater B Member

Any help would be much appriciated! I have always put a mic in front of the amp and over dub my parts. The bass player in my band wants to try running everything so we can use headphones at practice, and start recording. My question is how can I get my guitar to have a decent clean and dirty channel to come through? some kind of amp simulation.. just curious as to what some might have found that works well? pod? DG stomp?....

Thanks in advance! B

2. suprotennessee

suprotennessee Member

A pod will work just fine, especially to get you though the headphone stage of things. Thereafter, you can take the signal and run it back out of your recorder into an amplifier. It's a decent amount of work (look into the "ReAmp box"), but if that's how it must be for your situation, it can be done.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

Check out the Vox ToneLab. It is sort of like a POD with a 12AX7 tube, and it responds like a real amp to your attack.

4. clayville

clayville Member

"Decent clean and dirty" is, umm, kind of vague when it comes to direct options IMHO. Different options that I've tried are better at different ends of that scale. And do you mean "heavy distortion" dirty? or just "Mildly overdriven" dirty?

Pods can be a kick after a lot of tweaking to taste, and they do have a substantial variety of built-in fx. I use my PodXT quite a bit for direct recoding still... but for the kind of thing I do, I really like the natural amp-like warmth and bloom I can get out of a Damage Control Womanizer. Like the Tonelab, it has a couple of 12AX7s on board, but also some built in e.q. and compression. You can use it like a regular pedal, but the Direct Recording out emulates a small combo quite well. What it does, it does very well.

If you're into heavier gain, they make a model called the Demonizer, too.

Try to find the demo video on their site (the posted sound clips don't really do them justice).

This isn't the greatest playing in the world, but you'll get some sense of what you can do with one here (almost all clips are through the Womanizer direct).
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=239050

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have heard comments about that one. The ToneLab does have compression if you want it, EQ is just what would be on an amp, along with a bunch of other effects. I usually record dry, though, and add effects later, so I can change them if I need to. Withe the ToneLab, you can choose any combination of 16 amp models, and 10 cab models. I can always find just the right sound by tweaking the combination. I am quite happy with it. Warmth & Bloom, that's good. I think I get this, too :)

6. Miles

Miles Member

I have been using a PODxt for direct recording stuff, and if you're playing with headphones, it'll be easier. The only obstacle is if you need to change sounds on the fly, then you would need a footswitch. However, you can also get a handful of Vic Firth noise cancelling headphones, and you'll still be able to mic your amp and hear only what is going down on tape. That's what I am going to do for a recording/rehearsal session next week, and we like the sound of it better.

7. Frater B

Frater B Member

Thanks everyone,
    I should have been a little more specific. I do need to switch on the fly, from clean to distortion. I would like to mic my amp. I might just make a box to cover my amp and give enough room to put a mic in there? Anybody try that? He wants to run vocals and drums mic'd. And keys, bass, and guitar direct. I don't see how we're going to get all tracks clean? Probably a couple weeks out from trying it. Thanks again for the suggestions! B

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

GNX3000 works amazingly well in the studio...
    Sit right next to the engineer and/or the client
    & take instructions while you're recording...
    (i.e. have your playing conducted)

Of all the modelers I've used when recording,
    this particular one, the GNX3000,
    sounds the most authentic (amp like..) IMHO
    (as I've had both the PODxt Live and the Vox ToneLab...)

9. blindmuddy1

blindmuddy1 Member

What's worked well for me is a Palmer ADIG-LB. I can use my rig, get good tones and record quietly while my lids are sleeping.
    Chris

10. RedDucatieMan

RedDucatieMan Member

What kind of amp is it. How are you getting your distortion from a stomp box or from the amp. Some amps have a direct out that can be used for recording. You could try that with you current set up.

I personally have gotten tones I like going through a distortion pedal then direct in to Pro Tools and using amp modeling. A lot of people seem to feel the amp modeling sounds a little fake or thin but I have found that to be the case and none of the guitarists who have heard the recordings thought I was using modeling software.

11. Orren

Orren Member

What are you using to record? If you are using GarageBand or Logic, these applications come with usable amp models already. If you are using some of the BOSS or Roland hardware recorders, I believe some have COSM built-in, which is their own amp simulations.

Orren

12. elambo

elambo Member

A.K.A. - PGA-04

Or the re-release of the famed PDI-03, which is the same price as the 04. I'm amazed that these remain the same price.

13. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

$169 Behringer V-Amp Pro. Click on my link in my sig to hear a sample.

Ooopps dont have it on my sig here.

www.myspace.com/iiiboomeriii

14. karma1

karma1 Member

I've been using the new Zoom G9.2tt to record direct into ProTools and am getting great results for both clean and distorted high gain lead sounds. It's got an extensive selection of amp models and has two tubes which really make a difference. Before I bought this I used to use a Mesa Boogie V-Twin tube pre-amp a lot, and still do use it occasionally. Sometimes I'll record with effects, but generally try to record dry and add effects later.