Guitar effects on drum machines

XISTH

Ring modulators are good for transforming the basic timbral characteristics of drum machines.

I've been using a PS3 and PS2 a lot along with a meatball. I'm waiting on the new EHX ring mod. I think it could rule on the 909. Any suggestions on other ring mods?

XISTH

The Moogerfooger RM is great. Agree about the Meatball too. Sounds fantastic on just about anything.

I will be checking out the moog ring mod now. I played a low pass filter today. It's cool but I think the meatball has a bit more depth and sounds a little less hi fi. I'm interested in the Malekko half rack filters now too. They look like they could shape beats in all kinds of ways.

XISTH

If you have a drumbox with assignable outputs (e.g. an old Roland R8) you can put distortion on individual drums, i.e. just the snare. I like that effect.

Slow flanging on hi-hats is pretty good too.

Back in my cassette 4-track days I would hole up in my room for days just making noise and recording all these weird little tunes. I had a guitar, some horrible multi-effects thing , a bass and a really basic drum machine that got pushed through that little multi effects thing all the time. I shudder to think of what it would sound like to my ears now haha. At least it had some sort of preamp in it that let me record direct so my parents didn't have to hear the mess I was making!

Man, slow flanging sounds like a plan. I'm contemplating it getting an M9 for the verbs and filters. I think the flange might be good to try across it. i;m using a 909, 707 and an MPC with all the roland samples.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i have used my modded DAED disturbo ds-1 to process drum machine sounds. it sounds really good! i've also used slight flanging, ring mods are good as someone said, and messing around w/ delays can really make a simple drum machine sound awesome!!! as well as different reverbs of course.

greenlander

Man, slow flanging sounds like a plan. I'm contemplating it getting an M9 for the verbs and filters. I think the flange might be good to try across it. i;m using a 909, 707 and an MPC with all the roland samples.
Slow flanging or a low speed phaser are great (Small Stone), especially on motorik type beats with ride cymbals. Huge cavernous reverbs are sweet, too. I contemplated ditching my giant pedalboard for an M9 but just couldn't do it in the end. Love my old school pedals too much and they sound so good. It would be easier to get true stereo drums routing through the M9, though.

M

Member 995

RATs sound great on drum machines. I got a lot of use out of my Moog stuff, too.

I have a Rat and will give it a try. Been using a modded DS1 a bit, it needs a lot of eq when we mix but to build a rough sounding thump it's pretty cool. I haven't used my small stone at all. Will def try that out. Thanks for then tip.

IG88

my schumann pll goes through everything, guitar, keys, crappy drum machines, sharks games on the radio...

I check the website every week for the new PLL! I want one. How was the Lion X on beats?
Has anyone tried the malekko synths modules?

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
...ah was expecting a different kind of thread .......

you can really improve your live and recorded drum sounds by running them thru a good ole Sansamp .

IG88

you can really improve your live and recorded drum sounds by running them thru a good ole Sansamp .
hell yes, pretty much every drum beat on wu tang records from the 90's were fed through an old sansamp, except RZA was trying to soften and dirty them up as opposed to get them cleaner and and more up front

SlowRevolution said:
I check the website every week for the new PLL! I want one. How was the Lion X on beats?
Has anyone tried the malekko synths modules?
shouldn't be too long now. i've never thought about feeding the lion-x into anything other than a guitar so ill give it a try right now

hell yes, pretty much every drum beat on wu tang records from the 90's were fed through an old sansamp, except RZA was trying to soften and dirty them up as opposed to get them cleaner and and more up front
word, I never knew that.

I have a 505 that I run through a Ring Thing, RAT, Guyatone Phaser and SMMw/H. I remember the FZ-7 being great as well.

Trending Topics