Guitar effects/pedal rental

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bman20, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

dont u guys think someone out there coukd make a fortune having an online bussiness that specializes in guitar pedal rentals? All the off the shelf stuff as well as booteek? I saw a UK place online that does it, but wont ship to the US due to postage being high/hard to meet deadlines. Does anyone in the states offer this?

thanks

2. teleclem

teleclem Member

Isn't it risky?

3. wenbinbin2010

wenbinbin2010 Member

not if you have their credit card info

4. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

right, its a contract w/u and the company. same as renting movies from a redbox. U pay the fee, get the pedal for a week, and ship it back w/a prepaid label on time according to their return policy. if late, ur fee'd accordingly, and say if u kept it a month late, u just buy it full price. I think it would be great

5. teleclem

teleclem Member

I guess.

Could be a nice way to try out pedals (and handle GAS).

6. ledfloyd

ledfloyd Member

Plus you could take a 33%/50%/66% deposit for a month and get bank interest from it like PayPal does when you transfer funds from your bank to them.

7. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

exactly. and also prevent us gearheads from selling off a piece we actually like to fund a purchase for a pedal that sounds killer on a utube demo, then get it in to end up hating it w/our rig! which in turn would make u wish u hadnt of sold the piece u sold to fund that purchase, ha

8. 2-Bute

2-Bute Member

I know there are places that rent instruments out there, but specifically a mail-order pedal service I don't know. Might be cool, could easily become a disaster from a business standpoint. I wouldn't know where to start with a pricing schedule for something like that.

You'd definitely need a way to keep people from swapping guts (tamper tape?), returning their broken pedal and keeping your working one, etc. to avoid losing your ass- and it's probably not as simple as saying "you break it you buy it," because sh*t legitimately happens on stage.

9. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

I have one, I call it Amazon's 30 day return policy :)

10. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq Member

I was contacted by someone who wanted to start something like that in the US, 1 or 2 years ago, but didn't hear about it since.

The guys in the UK also sell coupons on eBay.

11. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao

Yeah right. Fraudulent numbers, fees, chargebacks, you are right, NO problems with CCs.

12. bobwl

bobwl Member

There is a company who does that with children's toys. Basically they do it like Netflix/Blockbuster or whatever you pay for a package which allows you to have a certain number out at a time. The difference with the toy one is you can only switch them out monthly or every other month... so your not dealing with a super ton of turnover. If it's broke then the person purchases it at a discounted rate (of course you've hopefully made up the money in your rental fees already). If they like it and want to keep it they can buy it.

It would be doable. The problem is some pedals get really expensive. You might have to do different tiers of rentals. Like standard pedals vs boutique.

13. mc2

mc2 Member

Isn't that PGS?

14. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

This idea came up a few times in the past year, interesting, but a lot of logistics to figure out.

15. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Yeah, I was going to mention that there was a 30- or 40-page thread on that here maybe in 2010.

It's a great idea. It's just that the cost to get it up and running properly are somewhat prohibitive. At that point, you might as well have a pedal retail shop and just sell the damn things. :rotflmao

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

:rotflmao

17. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yea, no one wants to head it off, it is a huge financial investment I suspect when you get down to it. Honestly, 90% of pedals can be bought used so you only loose shipping anyway if you sell it, half of that time, I wait to find a price that lets me break completely even or occasionally make a few bucks.

IIRC, those past threads on the topic kinda concluded that a local 'show and tell' thing would be more plausible and would achieve the same thing - getting to try before you buy. I made a thread for Pittsburgh, but there were only a few folks and not extremely close by, schedule would have been tough too, though I think someone started one for LA and there was a lot of interest.

18. bobwl

bobwl Member

Another option would be a TGP Co-Op or something where people could just put stuff up for share between members.

19. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I have a used music gear business with 90% consignments I also rent out used pedals and other equipment. Mostly P.A. gear Mic's stands you know the deal.. I thought about this as my inventory is getting larger to do a internet business for Pedals and other related equipment.. The problem is the high end boutique gear is not easy to come by. I have a bunch of Boss, Roland, Maxon, Etc. With just a handful of Fulltone, Strymon,Eventide,Etc. This is a cool idea but inventory needs to be large...

20. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Hippie!!!

:hiP