Guitar effects routing/mixer question...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zerocrossing, Sep 8, 2006.

1. zerocrossing

zerocrossing Member

Hey,

I'm having trouble getting my setup the way I want it. I've been thinking a mixer with a stereo effects send would do the trick (thanks Stan!), but now I'm thinking that's not what I need. Maybe I need a router of some sort. Here's what I'm attempting:

I've got the stereo output of a Vox Tonelab SE running into my board. I've got a few odd effects I'd like to put on it sometimes, but I don't want to risk sucking my signal of it's tone by running it threw them at all times. The effects are an Alesis Air Synth and a Korg KAOSS pad 2. There are also a CD player and an Alesis Micron that I'd like to run threw these effects as well, in the same way. NONE of these have to be audible at the same time.

I guess a patchbay would do the trick, but I'd rather not be pulling plugs as I'll use this in a performance. I've heard good things about the Switchblade, but it seems really expensive. Is there a more affordable option?

Mark

2. kbphx

kbphx Member

3. zerocrossing

zerocrossing Member

Hm, no offence, but that's not what I'm trying to do at all.

4. kbphx

kbphx Member

Well, if you're running direct to a console, that console should have some aux sends. You can simply:
    1. come out of Aux 1 to the Alesis, and out of Aux 2 to the Korg. then...
    2. feed the Alesis output back to an unused channel on the console, and from the Korg to another unused channel. I usually group the channels I'm using for effects returns at the right side of the console, and all my regular signal inputs on the left; it doesn't really matter as long as you know what's what.

So...you end up with (for instance):
    channel 1 - ToneLab (L)
    channel 2 - ToneLab (R)
    channel 3 - CD player
    channel 4 - Micron
    channel 23 - return from Alesis effect unit 'out'
    channel 24 - return from Korg effect unit 'out'
    aux1 send - to Alesis effect unit 'in'
    aux2 send - to Korg effect unit 'in'

Using this method, you can control the amount of signal being fed to the effects units by each source using the Aux sends, and control the amount of each effect unit being fed back to the overall mix using the faders (in this example, faders 23 & 24).

Is that more along the lines you're after?

5. kbphx

kbphx Member

note: you could, of course, just use the "effects returns," but I like using regular input channels for the effects returns because they're easier to ride AND they give you the benefit of EQ if needed.

6. zerocrossing

zerocrossing Member

Yeah, that's how I have it now but the end result is that the mixer I'm currently using doesn't allow you to turn down the main level and still have signal go to the sends. There are lots of effects like filters where I don't want any dry signal at all.

7. kbphx

kbphx Member

Ah...you just need to use a pre-fade aux, then. A post-fade aux only sends signal when that channel's fader is up; a pre-fade aux sends signal regardless of the fader's position.

8. zerocrossing

zerocrossing Member

yup. Something with a stereo in and stereo return pre-fader would be perfect if it was a single rack space unit.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

WOBO makes some patch bays with programmable analog control units, they are way less expensive than a Mackie mixer, you might google "ebay WOBO" for their webstore and see if anything there suits you... The stuff is nice, I've got one custom unit and plan on getting more... they'll pretty much make whatever you want them to and advise you on it along the way. http://www.true-bypass-loopers.com (you might have to hit reload for pages to come up, I do).

10. zerocrossing

zerocrossing Member

Thanks... I've sent them an email to see what it might cost to have them make what I need. Until then I'm looking for a mixer that has a true stereo out and return that's prefader.