Guitar Fetish pickguard - Quality?

Vibrolux

I bought a strat guard from Guitar Fetish and it arrived and I'm not impressed. At first I was a bit annoyed because I thought I bought a 3 ply guard. The description said multi-ply. I should have paid attention to that I guess. 2 IS a multi I guess.

But then when I went to install I saw the router marks. It has chatter marks all the way around. The "sawtooth" guard.

Is this the norm from other experience? I could return it of course but I am out shipping it both ways. Hardly worth the hassle.

Any other vendor suggestion for my NEXT pick guard order?

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I've used their black Tele guards in the past and they have fit and been as good as any Tele guard I have used. There were 3-ply.

J-E-M

Guitar Fetish - sometimes they send you lemons. If only they checked the quality of items before sending them out - it only takes a few seconds. Lazy.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I've ordered from Guitar Fetish in the past and have had good luck. One time tho, I did have a problem, but I contacted them and they took care of it in a very quick manner, much to my satisfaction. I'd give them a call or send them an email.

Devin

Low Voltage
The guards SUCK, I sent mine back immediately. Get the credit and buy some pickups.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a mint green Tele pickguard from them several years ago and it was not only a perfect fit but the green color was more subtle than many Fender pickguards I've seen.

ixnay

Good thing about Guitar Fetish is that their stuff is cheap enough that you don't feel that bad about tossing your purchase in the trash once you realize what you paid for.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Over at the TDPRI there are plenty of reports that the Tele guards are great. I ordered a Squier 51 pearloid guard a few years back that was nice.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
I've had maybe three or four. I thought they were OK. Actually had one on my #1 for a while until I switched to a Fender mint green. Mine were all three ply but they were solid color, no pearloid.

I will say that I'm not crazy about their mint green. Well, it's not that I don't like it as I still have it on a nice guitar, but it's very subtle. GFS Mint on the left, Fender on the right:

I bought the exact same pickguard around december of last year. Yes, it had the same chatter marks but it doesn't bother me.
I was put off by the 2 ply thing at first, but now that it's installed on my surf green strat it looks killer. Nice black outline around it looks damn cool I think.

Rhomco

Making UPS, FEDEX and USPS richer every day!
Gold Supporting Member
That chatter is actually CNC cutter steps in the computer program that routs the pickguard. The old style template driven routs are smooth but take more time to cut and wear out. The CNC machines do it faster and cheaper.... hence the low cost which is probably the only reason you buy from GFS in the first place.
Rob
PS, sand paper will polish out the steps and you can keep the extra $25.00 you didn't give to Fender for a pickguard :jo

Badside

Extra 25$? Fender pick guards ARE 25$
And so are Warmoth and they are cut perfectly and will do any weird pickup combo you might desire.

Screw GFS, every thing I've ever had from them wouldnt even be worthy of a Bullet Strat

Mookyshoots

Silver Supporting Member
Warmoth makes really nice pickguards. I've ordered 5 from them and they all fit perfectly and look great too.

http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/StratPickguard.aspx
+1 for the most part but will state that even Warmoth pickguards have some inconsistancies to them. Of the several I've purchased, the bridge and neck routes as well as the mounting holes on a few of them have tended to vary, though have all been easily fixed with a little application of a Dremel. Otherwise, they're always great looking pickguards considering the price and the ability to choose your options.

el supermanny

I have ordered a few things from GFS before. Every time I wound up disappointed.

GFS Solid block tremolo unit (not the Wilkinson branded): Garbage. The chrome on the baseplate started chipping so fast, it did not sit well in the cavity of my guitar, and the saddles were the cheapest thing I have ever seen. I put my old used and beat up MIM saddles on it since they were still better. Only paid like $25 bucks though so no harm done to my wallet I suppose.

Ordered their prewired SSS pick guard (the $35 one). Unlike his description, it DOES look like a cheap Saga guitar kit assembly. The guard was crap and the tortoise looked like it was printed on there rather cheaply. Came with 500k pots, brittle sounding and useless. Again paid $35 so no harm to my wallet.

In all fairness though, my buddy has a set of the GFS Alnico pickups in his Strat and they sound AMAZING! Just as good as any Seymour Duncan pickups. I have heard AMAZING reviews of their Mean 90 pickups as well.

In my opinion it seems that GFS is a one trick pony type shop. They figured out and perfected how to make a great sounding pickup for cheap. That is the only thing they can do though... Everything I tried other than their Strat pickups were crap.

Vibrolux

Seems to be pretty mixed reviews overall. I did contact GFS and just got a stock email reply back stating their return policy, which I already knew.

Kind of a "whatever" experience from them and me. I think I will look elsewhere in the future.

allanr

I've only ordered once from them. A Mean 90 pickup. It arrived quickly, installed easily, and sounded fantastic.

But that being the case, their business model is based on volume sales, no other middlemen, and low price. Companies like that strive for "good enough". When you want great, you pay more. When you want factory quality, you buy from the factory.

Sent from my EGQ307 using Tapatalk

hardtail01

Guitar Fetish sells parts for a super low price, so if you're expecting high quality parts and craftsmanship then you're going to have a bad time.

For the record, I have ordered pickups from them that I liked a lot, and some pickups from them that I didn't really care for. I had a strat pickup I ordered from them go dead about a year after I bought it.

I bought their MIM strat upgrade tremolo with the full sized steel block, and I had a good experience with it. The finish on the saddles was kind of cheap, but the block itself was not too shabby, and well worth the $30 or whatever it was I paid for it.

They sell inexpensive parts with no middleman at high volumes and people still complain as though they had paid premium prices for parts and service.

rant over.

Trending Topics