Guitar for a 9-year-old?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by eicca, Mar 18, 2015.

1. eicca

eicca Member

Thinking about getting my brother into the fray. However, if there are better options than those First Act things out there, I'd much appreciate any suggestions.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Used Squier would do the trick.

3. David Garner

David Garner Member

I'm going to get my daughters a GS Mini. It's pretty pricey, but my oldest started on a little pink Luna guitar, and she's shown me she's serious about learning, so I want to get something nice for her and her sisters to learn on.

4. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I have a friend that has an inexpensive Tele Squier. He set it up and it sounds and plays nice. Looks like a 52 reissue.

5. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

Squier mini is a great guitar and can be had really cheap. My son cranks his through a Champion 600 and has a great time.

6. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Ibanez Mikro.. it djents

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Rondo has a nice selection of kids guitars ranging from wacky animal shapes to 3/4 scale SX Strat-oids and Tele-oids. I've been happy with the SX guitars I've purchased from them. They needed a little setup work but otherwise were good. I haven't tried one of their rabbit guitars though.

If you can find a used MIM or Squier Duosonic, it's not a bad choice. They can be a bit pricey though compared to some new choices.

I recently purchased a used Laguna LE50. They sell for about $99 new. It's 22.75" scale with 24 frets. The one I got needed a bit of work, mainly with the nut. The fret work was decent. The pickups aren't great but functional. I'm setting mine up for open E slide and I'm swapping the pickups out for a HB-sized P90.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

This is a great starter guitar for young players. If you want to discourage them right out of the box, get them a full sized guitar if they are on the small side. 9 year old hands may not handle a full sized guitar well.

A 3/4 guitar like the Mikro is cheap and can be replaced if and when they show a real interest.

10. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

+1 on the Squier Mini. I did a setup on one for a friend, and it's really a decent guitar for the money. I'll probably wind up buying one for myself as a couch guitar.

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Hard to beat an SX Furrian in a tele or strat style. Amazing necks, action and good pickups for about $130 brand new with gig bag!
    Head and shoulders above First Act.
    I liked the neck so well on one I had I kept the neck and put it on my frankenstrat and sold the body assy for about $100. So the great neck cost me $29.
    Google 'em. They have a trans blonde alder tele with a strat style trem for the same price.

12. kdc113

kdc113 Member

Squier Mustang, is short scale but when he grow, he can still use it.

13. eicca

eicca Member

Thanks for all the tips! Definitely going to go with a 3/4 scale whatever it is so he can actually get his hands around it.

14. TStrat99

TStrat99 Member

Fender has a new mini strat and tele out. Much higher quality than the old 3/4 squier ones they've sold in the past. I played it for a few minutes and they seemed to be on par with mim quality wise. It felt like a real guitar unlike the squier my nephew started out on which was more of a toy. The strat had what looked like a humbucker in the bridge. I haven't seen them online anywhere, and couldn't find them on fender's site, but I was at guitar center earlier this week and they had them out. If I recall they were around $300.

15. doc

doc Member

My usual STRONG recommendation for this question is a vintage Peavey T-15 (the Mississippi Mustang!).

16. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

you didn't say electric or acoustic. My nextdoor neighbor asked me about teaching their 6yo some stuff. I recommended a 1/2 or 3/4 scale guitar. I was in a local shop that had Oscar Schmidt acoustics, after that conversation. They could be had for less than $130, and I was actually impressed with the neck and sound of those, for what they are. If my neighbor is serious about getting her son going, I'm going to recommend they spring for one of those.

Fretsalot/Scott

17. OllieDox

OllieDox Member

+1.

I took my guitar obsessed 2.5 year old to Guitar Center to get him one of those Squier mini Strats or one of those mini Ibanez' for something to make noise with. But at 3/4 they were way too big. I ended up with a 1/2 size SX Strat from Rondo that he loves. Great deal too - for $86 plus shipping (total came to just over $100) he got the guitar, strap, gig bag, a head phone amp, guitar cable, and instructional DVD.

Guitar wasn't too bad either - it has a truss rod, sealed tuners that seem to hold, and it really sounds pretty good considering the cost and size. I had to do some minor fret work (the high E would get stuck on a high fret).

Definitely worth checking out.

18. eicca

eicca Member

Doesn't surprise me really, with the quality of my Agile. I'll take a look!

19. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Good suggestion.

20. eicca

eicca Member

Idea. Anyone know if 3/4 scale Les Paul Goldtops can be found? I think it'd be way cool to get him an axe that looks like mine.