Guitar for Solo Acoustic Gig

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nolatone Ampworks, May 30, 2008.

1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Hey folks,

I've been round and round this not-so-merry go round in the past and it's like a broken record.

I find full sized acoustic guitars (right now I'm playing a Martin DC16-GTE) sound better both unplugged and plugged in. Period.

However, I also find the can get cumbersom while trying to improvise. Easy to get yourself in trouble in a solo act.

I've tried guitars like the Taylor T5, Godin A6, etc, but I find myself wanting the resonance of a regular acoustic. I just find it odd to hear the sound coming out of the speaker, but not out of the guitar (for acoustic, electric, differnt expectation of course!).

I've scoured the axe-scape for models that are a reasonable compromise.

One that comes to mind is the Carvin AC175/275.

I'd enjoy your input on this.

Thanks,

Paul

2. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

takamine. they don't seem to get much love around here, but mine is everything i could want and more for a solo acoustic gig.

-stays in tune
    -easy to play
    -sounds HUGE plugged in
    -on-board EQ is very effective (unlike others, that don't seem to do anything)
    -can take a beating

plus, they are very loud BEFORE they are plugged in. at my solo gig... i can hear the natural sound of the guitar just fine. i know what you mean there, especially when you are by yourself.

i have bragged about mine on here many times before. it's a middle of the road model from 1993... that was discontinued long ago. but you can get a great takamine acoustic-electric for between 500-1000.

just my 2 cents.

edit: this is a recent thread i started about my takamine... that didn't generate any interest.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=394126&highlight=disaster+averted

3. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

+1 !!!!
    I have a TF-341DLX with the "Cool-Tube" pre-amp. Best sounding live acoustic IMHO.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Nils Lofgren loves his Taks-I personally just got a 1995 Taylor 710....I would have no problem using it to do a solo gig,if I felt compelled to do one...

5. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

In all the respects you guys mention here, my Martin D16 a/e does as well as any.

I'm looking for the compromise between lead playing and "real" plugged in sound (to me guitars like the T5, however nice they are, don't sound "real" when plugged in).

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Look at Composite Acoustics. They do some models with deep cutaways if that's what you need and acoustically they are very respectable. Even their dreads feel sleeker since they are slimmer. And importantly in the gig world, they are just about indestructible and amplify beautifully.

I play one of the Bluegrass models with a K&K and use it everywhere I don't want to take my Collings. Great guitars.

7. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

If you didn't like the Godin, you probably won't be happy with the Carvins. I own both a Godin and an AC 375 - top of their line - and except for the better-sounding pickup in the Godin, there is little acoustic difference. :puh

Cheers,
    Cowboy

8. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I love my Taylor 814CE - sounds beautiful both plugged and un.

9. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

Check out Monte Montgomery's pedal board with his Alvarez Yairi. That's about every tone in the book. I end up playing acoustic lead too with the guys I play with. I have a Gibson Songwriter and once I get warmed up, I sometimes play stuff on it I would never have come up with with my electrics.

I've tried the T5 too, just wasn't acoustic feeling enough for me.

This is a little off track, but you may want to try a Zager acoustic with built in electronics. The action on Zagers are as low as I've seen on any acoustic and I find their necks are very nice to play. My buddy bought one and he is very happy with it. The have a full money back gaurantee too including shipping if you aren't 100% happy with it. I bought my son a 3/4 size when he was 7. I put a Martin Thinline pickup in it and it sounds absolutely amazing. Here's the guitar mic'd with a vocal mic at his 4th grade talent show last week. It still sounds pretty good for a 3/4 size.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MunUv9Bdpvo

10. 808Beat

808Beat Member

Have you thought about a smaller box acoustic like a SJ concert style or Martin 000 or OM. I'm also a Martin lover (D-28, D-18GE & 000-28EC). The last few solo gigs I used the D-28 however I'll admit I didn't improvise any guitar licks just used the guitar as back up to my vocals.

That said. One of the most comfortable guitars I've owned and used (in the past & regret selling) was my Taylor 714. For a solo acoustic gig when it's all you there's nothing more comforting than a guitar that sits nicely in your lap and plays smooth as silk.

11. HHB

HHB Member

I use a small bodied singlecut Takamine, cedar top, classical size neck and slotted headstock but braced for steel strings, I love this guitar!!!

[​IMG]

12. bynt

bynt Member

if money isn't an object, the Taylor GS series are really nice. Smaller guitar but HUGE sound. I personally really like the ES, some folks don't.