Guitar Glitter paint job

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mr. Duque, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

I want to make a glitter paint job on a guitar. White glitter (or color swipe) on white.

My ideia is to spray metallic white, then pour glitter (while the paint is still fresh) then clear coat everything, maybe spreading more glitter between the clear coats. I plan using nail glitter, because it's thinner and wouldn't make a coarse surface.

The spray cans are not polyurethane, they are acrylic. Not the best finish in the world, but can be buffed to high gloss.

First, I'm not sure if this works.

Second, I don't know how to spread glitter evenly over the surface. I don't need the whole surface to be completely covered with glitter.

Has anyone here ever made it?

2. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

FWIW, I don't think sprinkling glitter between clear coats is a good idea if you plan on sanding the clear back and buffing it to a shine. I'd be afraid of sanding into some glitter specks and having them come out and scratch the clear. I could be wrong.

Mr. Duque and B. Howard like this.
  5. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

fretless and Mr. Duque like this.
  6. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

If you read the thread on TDPRI the OP used deft clear lacquer and .015in hexagonal glitter.
    Spray a heavy coat of deft then sprinkle the glitter onto the guitar.

Once the surface is covered completely with glitter, buildup multiple(read many) coats of clear to cover the glitter.
    Sand flat, buff.

The OP later changed to a different lacquer and glitter application method but the method I described gave great results as well.

If you are planning on making a sparklecaster, the thread is mandatory reading.

Good luck.

Drak likes this.
  7. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

You can make your own ketchup from scratch, too, and it's a lot easier, faster, and not nearly as messy as what you're proposing. I did a "pour it on" glitter job years ago, but buried the glitter under automotive clear. I still see the odd flake of red glitter in the parking lot at my apartment, out by the flowerbed in front of the shop, or on the sole of shoes I haven't worn in a long time. It's truly a gift that keeps on giving.

8. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Thanks, man. I'll surely read it. I just found out that white glitter spray is sold in Brazil, watched a bunch of youtube videos on the topic, and so far the strategy is built up layers this order: metallic white paint, white glitter spray, clear coat.

That is what I imagine it should be.

Sorry, dude, for laughing. This is why I started this post: I also had my prior experiences.

9. Neverwhere

Neverwhere Member

At like 42 min they show how they sprinkle glitter on G&L guitars

trap, Bryan T, Gevalt and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Looks awesome! They just use their hands... and sprinkle it on top of fresh coat. I don't want to mess around my house (too much), so I may just cover everything with plastic and use a glitter spray can.

I still haven't read that thread on the other forum, but I have been wondering about how to make a "glitter sprinkler" myself. Maybe a plastic bottle with small holes, that when carefully shaken would let glitter pieces fall. This way I would have some control on it. Maybe I will run a test...

Edit: oh, here's something similar: https://www.schleiper.com/onlinecat...10g-sprinkler-bottle?category_id=3718&lang=en

11. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Check this out, what do you think? The guy sprinkles glitter by hand, he stays far from the guitar.

Edit: the shop obviously becomes a mess.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Gevalt likes this.
  12. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Dry flake is a proper technique that still uses a gun but no medium. You spray clear onto the guitar and use a dry flake gun to blow flake onto the clear and then blow the flake flat so its easier to clear coat.

G&L's flake method is only flashy if you get a silver or maybe the gold flake finishes because they require very little tinted clear over the standard silver flake. All their other flake colors use heavy coats of tinted clear to achieve the color they are going for so very little light reflects back through the finish. The blue, turquoise, red, etc... all look very dull by comparison. I've not seen any other company do flake that way. If you're going for a colored flake finish, shoot the proper color base coat and then use the proper colored flake.

Mr. Duque likes this.
  13. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Thanks for your input. This is the first time I hear about a dry flake gun. Is it a gentle blow, or is it like a regular air gun?

14. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

[​IMG] FWIW, I had good luck with Krylon Glitter blast.
    [​IMG]

Neverwhere and Mr. Duque like this.
  15. whoismarykelly

That does look pretty damn good. How many coats of clear did it take to level?

16. whoismarykelly

Its an attachment for a regular compressor. Google it and you'll see.

17. whoismarykelly

18. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I think I used 4? So long ago..

19. whoismarykelly

Looks like your cans are the only ones that worked ever. Almost 100% of the reviews say the cans spray for a few seconds and then clog and dribble with no way to stop the flow.

20. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

There is a trick.. you have to shake the can as you spray. If you don't the sparkle wont' spray even. Once I figured that out, it worked really good. I think I only used 1 and a half cans of sparkle over white primer.. 4 cans of clear IIRC.