Guitar Glitter paint job

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mr. Duque, Jun 11, 2019.

1. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

well, it works for Taylor Swift:
    [​IMG]
    so i guess you get a glitter guitar and you're rich and famous like TS?????

Mr. Duque likes this.
  2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

That guitar is in the Country Music Hall of Fame now IIRC.

sahhas likes this.
  3. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

If this has been said already upthread, my apologies.
    The point I wanted to make to the OP is that:
    The nozzle orifices on spray guns (or aerosol spray cans) tend to be very small, VERY small.
    So nothing larger than that orifice can come out of it. Kapiche?
    Nozzle orifices do come in different orifice sizes tho.
    But for this conversation, to get the Really Ballsy-sized flake or glitter...
    It needs to be sprinkled on, because that's the only way you can use LARGE flake/glitter.
    Just wanted you to understand the difference.
    If its getting shot out of a gun, its not going to be gaudy/ballsy sized glitter or flake.
    Its going to be Much smaller, because it has to come out of a very small orifice.
    With hand application, its as big as you can source it.

The exception is for people who shoot regularly and have access to very large orifice nozzles.
    But we're not talking about those people here on this thread.

Baxtercat and Mr. Duque like this.
  4. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Not glitter, Swarovski crystals.
    Fake diamond holds fake diamond, film at 11. :p

sahhas likes this.
  5. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Really nice! I'll be happy if I get anything like it!

6. 0018g

0018g Member

I did two tele's. I used a shaker like you'd find for pepper flakes at Pizza Hut. I shot a silver base, then a heavy coat of clear, then sprinkled the flake on. Big flake. I'd shoot 4 coats of 2K clear at a shot, then sand back and shoot some more. One guitar had 16 coats(most of it was sanded back).

I found that flake in my nether regions for months. Never again. I also did the checkerboard binding on both guitars which added to the misery.

7. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I’m so glad this thread popped up. I was thinking about this same technique and was going to do a thread. I didn’t think it can be done. This awesome!

Mr. Duque likes this.
  8. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

This is what I was thinking about.

Let me see if I understood, you sprinkled glitter over the clear coat, then sanded, then more clear coating, over and over. Was that it? (sorry, english is not my first language). Did the glitter stuck to the fresh paint easily?

Did I understand that correctly? o_O

I am sure this is going to be a mess... I'm still wandering how to minimize the damage. I'm doing this at the garage of my beach house (it's empty) and I plan to cover everything in plastic and wear a disposable raincoat.

9. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Good to know I'm not alone.

I'll make a video and post on youtube.

10. 0018g

0018g Member

I sprinkled the glitter into a wet coat, let everything sit overnight, and shot 4 coats of clear the next day. Level sand, shoot four more, level sand, rinse and repeat until flat.

And, yes, you understood the nether regions thing. That stuff get everywhere. I had the body mounted on a stick, and I applied and shook off the glitter over a large plastic tub, and used the lid to seal it off when I was done. That helped somewhat.

11. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Thanks for your explanation. That's lots of layers. I'm a bit concerned that the clear coat spray I have is not going to get thick enough.

The glitter I have is made of plastic (PVC), and I was also thinking about hitting it gently with a heat gun, maybe to try to melt if a bit and make the surface flatter, so I wouldn't depend on making such a thick coat.

12. whoismarykelly

A heat gun will cause loads of problems with the paint you have sprayed. Flake takes a lot of clear to bury. Thats part of the game.

13. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

Unfortunately, most of the photos from the TDPRI thread have disappeared.
    The gist of the process starts on page 13.

Basically he painted an undercoat the same color as the glitter.
    Then painted wet coats of deft clear lacquer and used a flour-sifter to sprinkle sparkles on the body.
    Then brushing off excess, loose sparkles when dry.

Repeat coats of deft clear lacquer followed by more sparkles and brushing off until the entire body has a thorough coat of glitter.

Then apply many many(50?) coats of deft clear, allowing time to dry between coats, until the glitter is completely coated in clear deft.
    Then sand and polish.

A very labor intensive process but worth it in the end I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  14. Stike

Stike Member

A catalyzed urethane is a much better choice than lacquer. It flows better and stays sticky much longer.

15. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

All right, thanks for the tips. I didn't see the pictures too at TDPRI and I thought it was something about the firewall here at work. The result was gorgeous.

So, I'm not sure if I want the guitar to be completely covered with sparkles. If they are evenly spread I think I'll be happy enough.

50 layers are lots of layers.

16. whoismarykelly

50 coats of clear is because a lot of those guys are using hardware store rattle can paints for their clear coats which tend to be low solids and not build very much film. A professional spray rig would probably be 3-4 coats, sand back, and another couple coats before wet sanding.

Flake is a ton of work. There are paint shops that work with guitars who will spray a perfect flake job for $350 or so and get it back to you ready to assemble. The materials are pretty expensive to DIY so unless you really want to do your own finish that may be a better way to go. A jar of quality flake is $60+ on its own. Then all the materials and clear to bury it are going to be another pile of money. Some of those TDPRI guys are spraying half a dozen cans of specialty 2K clear that cost $30 each. If you want high quality result with real flake you're not going to save a ton of money compared to paying a professional.

17. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Low solids: understood!

Here in Brazil there are a couple companies that would charge a little bit less than $350 for a great work (check this out: http://musickolor.com.br/gallery/. They charge around $200). This is my second option not for financial, but for personal reasons, you know, I like doing things my own, even if they are not so good in the end, I have a special feeling for them.

Of course, if I end with a job way below acceptable, I'll gladly give up. I'll come back to tell you how it went within a couple weeks.

Usually, things in Brazil are more expensive than in the US. But glitter and spray cans seems to be an exception. Here those type of stuff are way cheaper than what you mentioned (I don't know about the quality, though). I may spend around US$ 20 with all the materials I plan to use.

Edit: I'm about to give up and ship it to musickolor.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  18. whoismarykelly

$200 is cheap. In the US that gets you a solid color refin at best.

19. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

G&L and the other guy are putting the sparkles on the clear coat. It seems like it would be better to put the glitter on the color then clear over it. I’m going to start this same project soon. I just have to find the body.

20. 0018g

0018g Member

The color isn't thick or sticky in the Dupont Chromabase I was using. Remember, the automotive clear is sort of like superglue-you need the "stick" of the clear. I never did one in lacquer.