Guitar Glitter paint job

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mr. Duque, Jun 11, 2019.

1. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

All G&L flake finishes are tinted clear over a silver base/silver sparkle finish. The color goes on over the flake.

2. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I have to watch that video again, but I thought they said the flake went over the clear.

To me it seems the best way would be to paint the body, sprinkle sparkle over the wet paint, let it dry and clear it till complete. I am going to practice all 3 ways. I have the sparkle and paint, I just have to buy some wood to practice on.

3. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Wow! I’m still going to try it. If it doesn’t work I’ll be sending it to Stike.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  4. whoismarykelly

There is clear over the color because the flake has to stick to something. Then you bury that flake in more clear.

5. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Just did my first part today. So I sprayed a whole can of white (over the original varnish, after sanding), then sprinkled glitter using a marmalade glass with holes on the lid, just like the pizza hut pepper thing. Worked just fine, because I could control how much glitter I wanted. The glitter stuck pretty well away at the fresh white paint.

I let it sit for a few minutes, then sprayed acrylic clear coat over it. Another whole can. It's still drying. I know just one can of clear coat wasn't enough for burying the glitter.

What I did was to mix 5 parts of white and one part of purple glitter. The purple took over more than I expected, and after a few hours it's starting to look better.

I plan for my next step, after it dries, is to spray another clear coat can, then sand it with 2000 grit, then another can, then buffing.

https://ibb.co/bvsxHJy

Looks pretty lame on the picture, sorry

Edit: the sparkle I used was pretty easy to sweep away

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Gevalt likes this.
  6. Stike

Stike Member

2000 is way too fine. If you're spraying an uncatalyzed, solvent based clear you don't need to sand before spraying more and at this stage you probably should not. The color of the flakes are a thin coating so if your hit them with sandpaper you're going to have a bunch of silver spots where your color used to be. Don't sand until you have enough clear built up to safely do it. Again, 2000 grit is way too fine, when you're ready to start sanding 400-600 range is good.

0018g, Mr. Duque, cjp54 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

True... just one clear coat spray can is to little. I ordered another 4. I think I'll speak another two before thinking about sanding.

However, last time I tried to sand this type of finish, 500 grit was too coarse, I think or was just too soft. There was no glitter beneath it but...

I'll come back when I have more news.

8. Grez

Grez Gold Supporting Member

I just finished this using the Roth flake. They are large flakes so as has been mentioned, the gun tip needs to be large enough for them to pass and the internal filter needs to be removed.

You have the right idea, base coat appropriately colored, then in my case, flake mixed with some finish applied in multiple coats until you have the flake density you want. Then clear over that.

If the flakes are large and there is a lot of them, it may be tough to put on enough clear to sand back to dead flat. Considering less finish thickness is better, but luckily with a crazy amount of sparkle (flake) you can't really see how flat the surface is. Smaller flake is much easier to get enough finish build to sand flat.

9. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Just found in a shop near my house very tiny sparkle particles, the ones kids use for slime. Very excited to continue my job this weekend. I got another 4 clear spray cans, so let's see how it goes. I'm shooting everything and will make a YouTube video in the end (in case everything works).

10. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

The whole white base coat seems counterintuitive to me unless you want a salt and pepper look finish. If I were going gold flake, I would base coat in gold metallic, clearcoat and embed the gold flake in the clear.

Krylon and Testors have hobby aerosol glitter paints that people claim to have had good results with. The only problem is the are enamel based so your clear topcoat also has to be enamel which is not conducive to wet sanding and buffing for a high gloss.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  11. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

If this is ok, I'd like to ask 1 Question

I'm gonna glitter a pedal by shaking small glitter onto the clear, then burying it.
    Nitro or Enamel? (Nitro lacquer by Watco or High-Heat Engine Enamel by Dupli-Color)
    Any opinions welcome and appreciated! Thank you.

12. whoismarykelly

Def not nitro. Not enough solids. Will take forever to bury.

weevilcaster likes this.
  13. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

Ok, so today I sprayed the 4th clear coat can and sprinkled more thin glitter. The guitar looks gorgeous, but still is pretty crunchy on the outside. As expected, would still need another milliion layers to bury.

So I had the idea of heating a small area using a hair dryer, and rolling a foam roll on it, and guess what, works. It can work for forcing the glitter down the softened coat. So, this week I'm getting a new and clean foam roll and do it all over the guitar. Because de "drowned" glitter still shines like the "floating"ones.

Then, anothe clear coat can, sanding, buffing and I think I'll be happy.

Gevalt likes this.
  14. Multi Angle Vise

Multi Angle Vise Member

Craft Herpes.

Sweetfinger and Mr. Duque like this.
  15. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

My floor got Fairy Dust.

Multi Angle Vise likes this.
  16. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Member

Indeed. Once you get it, you never get rid of it.
    It's still tons of fun! And the guitars really pop under stage lights.

17. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

I'm going to use the epoxy method. Youtube has shown me how few coats it takes.

18. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Good idea. I wonder if a baker's rolling pin would really level it out?

19. whoismarykelly

OP you have any pics of your current progress?

20. Mr. Duque

Mr. Duque Member

I think it's worth a try!

Uh, not yet, tried to upload from my cell phone recently, didn't work. I'll post it from my computer....