Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mr. Duque, Jun 11, 2019.
Check it out (still lots of orange peel):
Hope you don't mind me posting vídeos...
So, the beer bottle is too hard, and the foam roll is too soft. I would say a EVA roll, or some hard rubber would be better. On the corners and round edges, the bottle may push the glitter away (it happened a bit to me) and create an "empty area". This coat is really soft, and melts very easily. Make sure you never leave your guitar in a car under the sun.
Next step: another clear coat can.
I'll come back with more news.
Update: after the heat and roll technique, and the last clear coat, I got a flat surface, only with the orange peel effect. I could use it like that, but I'll let it dry for a long time and then sand and buff it. The heat and roll was the great deal.
Ok, so here it is...
Thank you All for your advice and recommendations and experience, it is much valued and appreciated. How timely...I am about to embark on a Boat Sparkle job of Candy Apple Red in nitro. I have a few different guns so I will ask TCP Global for the right spraying tip. but before I begin , I too read the thread on the Tele forum about shooting sparkle. And I am thinking about shooting a heavy wet coat of clear and just use a pepper shaker to distribute the flake evenly. But before I even do that I was told by Brian Jamerson/Oriion Guitar Finishing...he does amazing work for Musikraft, that black should be the base coat? And Paul Unkert told me the same thing? So I'm going to go that route...
BTW this is the first time I ever made my own `50's one piece Alder Strat body and `54 strat neck from scratch...built many Les Pauls, but never attempted Fender style bodies and necks...just finished a `53 Black Gaurd Tele neck & body too. Man it's hot here in Jersey...who said building guitars won't get in you shape? Drilling the truss rod channel at 3 degrees...that is challenging .
I got a Gold Sparkle in Nitro from Bernie Hefner 10 years ago...he does great work too
you did a fantastic job, did you apply the flakes by hand? Keep building up the clear base coat and sand back, it will really pop. I guess you are going with a Floyd Rose Term? Nice...
btw, your english is better than most Americans....two thumbs way up for Brazilian Women too
Thanks, folks, for the replies!
That is exactly what I did. Drilled lots if tiny holes on a jelly pot, and used just as a pepper shaker. Worked great! I could control exactly what I was doing. Know that more than half of the glitter particles are going to fall on the ground and will be lost. Cover everything, but also be aware that some will remain on the floor and will never leave.
Black as a base coat? I don't know.. only if you are using it as primer. I just sprayed new white over white.
Thank you so much! I applied the flakes using and pepper shaker, please refer to the paragraph above. Easy and fun job. It's flat now, except for some orange peels and runs, I'll sand and buff then when it cures completely (it's still drying...). It's not a Floyd, it's Wilkinson (don't remember the model) which is a Floyd disguised as a strat bridge.
Lol. Thanks. I read, write and listen do english a lot, but don't get many opportunities to speak. Requires certain warm up.
Mr.Duque....I just read up on spraying metal flake....004 micro & .008 macro flake are fine with nitrocellulose, .015 needs urethane based solvents.
I'm going to use .008 and spray, but the weather here in New Jersey has been too hot and or too humid...my only opportunity to spray will be in August/September or October?...Hurrican season..lol
Very technical... I didn't go that deep. What saved me was the heat & roll technique. The guitar is still hanging in my house waiting for the final cure, it still smells a bit, so I won't mess with it for now.
I'm going to Chile on vacations next week, so you won't hear from me in a while.
New Jersey is not so hot now: 75°F. It's winter here in São Paulo and it's 64°F!
So I'm done with it
Edit: not so done, yet... after some research, I found out that the buffing "hat" (don't know the correct word) I was using wasn't appropriate for the job. So I sanded the buffing compound again, and buffed by hand with a microfiber cloth. Got a better result, though it revealed lots of blurred spots. Still don't know exactly what to do. For polishing, I have ordered some liquid used for vehicles (like a wax, but said to be "crystalizing"), so let's see...
Ok, here's some updates. I have been wet sanding 1200 grit and spraying a few thin coats in between. This is what I have now. Next weekend is final sanding and buffing.
Although the insane amount of work, I have reasons to believe this finish won't last, because this acrylic laquer is too soft. Only time will tell.
Anyway, so far, looks great.