Guitar going to a better home

Jordan63

Silver Supporting Member
So, like many of us, I have a few guitars. Some I love and play out, some I just like having. Every once in a while I don't like the hoarding feeling that I get, and get rid of anything that is not an absolute keeper.

I came to this conclusion with a gibson lp jr I had, and sold it on craigslist this past weekend. It was cool, but not one of my favorites, didn't love the neck, and it didn't get played that much.

A Dad and his 13 yr old son showed up to buy the guitar for the kid, who was SUPER psyched about it, and told me all about how he had saved up for it, sold his epiphone, etc. The Dad even sent a follow up email saying how much the kid loved the guitar.

I left there feeling so great. I gave him a good discount just because he was so awesome (if I had more $ I would have probably just given it to him for free), and have never once regretted getting rid of the guitar since it has gone to such a better home. This will be that #1 guitar for this kid, vs. another one in my basement that is just OK.

Anyway, it feels great seeing guitars go to where the belong, even if it isn't to you sometimes.

Jordan63

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, it was especially nice since many of my guitar related transactions on craigslist seem to revolve around the same 5 people. I think 90% of the buying on craigslist of guitar stuff is done by 5 guys here.

73Fender

Great way to think about it, glad for the kid to get a cool guitar.

Sounds like your CL is better then others discussed here.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
GREAT story man! I had a similar experience when I sold a Taylor 314ce a couple years back. A 12-13 year old boy and his dad show up to try the guitar out. The kid strummed it for the first time and his eye LIT up and he immediately looked at his dad (who was also grinning from ear to ear). I knocked off a substantial amount for the exact same reasons as you. It was a really cool experience. Good on ya Jordan!

77custom

That's a very cool story. One day I wish to give one of my guitars away. I'm sure when the right situation comes along I will.

XKnight

Great story and it's always nice to make a child smile.

I was (probably still am) in a phase where I wanted to try just about every type and style of guitar out there. Bought, sold and traded tons of gear and regret getting rid of some guitars in particular. I often wonder if some of the guitars I use to own had become keepers for someone else. I'm sure many of the smaller builders hope their blood, sweat and tears results in an instrument that a player truly loves and will hold onto.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
That is awesome.

I can still remember buying my first decent guitar, and being the kid on the other side of the transaction. I'd learned a couple of songs on a really bad Stella Harmony and save my money for a long time.

Back then you found used guitars through the Classified Ads in the newspaper. The first thing that came up that I could afford was a Fender Lead III. I think I was 13-14 at the time. I talked to the seller on the phone, got the address, and talked my mom into taking me to a complete stranger's house complete the purchase. As an adult, I realize that the part of town we were going into was not necessarily safe. It must have freaked my mom out a little, but we did that deal and I played that guitar for several years. I still have a couple of pictures of it around here somewhere.

It's great to know that kids are wanting to play.

Jordan63

Silver Supporting Member
It's great to know that kids are wanting to play.

Yeah, that part was great, seeing that excitement and knowing that he has sooo much time to devote to it. I wouldn't mind having a few hours a day to play, a great part of being young like that.

fewlio

They Played you for a nice discount and are probably pro flippers. Father son team...ive seen it before..

vbf

Well done, sir, well done!! I did similar a few years ago and you just know when it's the right time to do something like that.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
They Played you for a nice discount and are probably pro flippers. Father son team...ive seen it before..
what the hell was the point in this response at all??? why take a great, positive story and mar it with this?

fewlio

You see this kind of thing at rest areas and gas stations. A guy holding a sign "out of gas...tired, hungry..anything helps, god bless!". The acts that really rake it in have a dog and a sad faced son or daughter standing with them. They know how to tug the heart strings to get people to give them what they want.

Not trying to spoil the hallmark moment, but we gotta be realistic here..

Trending Topics