Guitar hoarder here...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by doc, Apr 27, 2011.

1. doc

doc Supporting Member

Not bad enough to be on a TV show, but bad enough that my basement is a mess. I've got some pretty nice stuff, but mostly mid level and a few cheap pieces, and a lot of it IN pieces. I was just looking over an old Memphis Les Paulish guitar that needs a complete overhaul to be useable and contemplating how to get rid of it if I decide to - and I really should. I keep coming across new stuff I want to bring home as well - I just found a great deal on an old Traynor amp, of which I have several, and I'll probably end up buying it. I really like vintage Traynors, but the truth is the ones I have are too loud for me to use routinely, so they sit a lot. Thats true for a lot of my stuff - its cool stuff, but I don't use some of it. If I had any sense I'd take the cheap/broken stuff to the dump or the Goodwill, pick out about half of the stuff I never use or don't love and Ebay or Emporium it, and make sure everything I have left eventually gets new strings, a fret dress, new tubes, or whatever it needs to be at its best and at the ready. I'm also bad about unfinished projects - I have probably 15 projects (half-built amps, pedals, guitars in parts) that I NEED to get back to. I'm also frustrated by the fact I could probably be twice the player I am today if I was less of a guitar junk collector and focussed on practice and playing out.

Open to words of wisdom. Please avoid the low hanging fruit of suggesting that I pack it up and send it to you - I prefer the high road of not being an "enabler".

2. eisrael37

eisrael37 Member

It's my belief that, unless you are a studio and touring musician, there is absolutely no need to have more than 6 guitars. Electric and acoustic COMBINED.

You said that you spend more time collecting that practicing/playing out, so why load everything you keep up with new tubes/strings/fret dresses if you won't make use of them? I would liquidate everything that doesn't get used weekly.

3. MikeSRV69

MikeSRV69 Member

First, let me say that I truly love guitar/musical gear. I have basement hoard of my own and my wife is another of the breed, just with keys and drums as well as guitars. My/our situation is a bit different, though, because we are both full-time players and teachers and, although, we may seem to have a pile of stuff, it does all actually get used on stage and in the studio at one time or another. I am not really a project guy, but I do like to stack up guitars and amps that I love to play and hear. I also constantly ask my self 'what am I gonna use this for?' when I GAS for something new. I am surrounded by adult students who seem to want to keep buying stuff, even tho they never play anywhere or with anyone and I ask them that, too. I try to get them to remember that playing music is the point, at least to me, not piling up gear that gathers dust.

Tough love time: do just what you said you'd do if you had any sense: lighten the load and play more. Get hooked on the fun/vibe of playing your stuff. You will probably be happier in the long run. YMMV. Peace.

4. D.Cooper

D.Cooper Member

I agree with this statement, although most of TGP won't.

5. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Member

Your at the right place ! My situation is kind of like yours...I just keep collecting stuff, and don't get rid of it. The first step is admitting you have a problem....Then call DR Drew...
    Seriously, sounds like a good time to take inventory, maybe even write it all down. Put checks buy the things you haven't touched in a year or two, or maybe even forgot you had ! And sell a couple things a month. Just keep something up for sale. That's what I'm trying to do. Good luck.
    On another note, I saw a cool thing, something like guitars for wounded vets...A program that uses music and donated instruments for our soldier's as part of a recovery program. I can find the info, if you want. Just PM me.

6. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

You have to get to the root of WHY you are constantly buying gear. In most cases, it points to a general unhappiness or dissatisfaction with another part of your life, whether it is your job, your personal relationships, friends etc., or even personal trauma such as the loss of a family member or an accident etc.

Believe me, I have gone through this as well. Currently at 14 guitars. In nearly every new purchase, it has been my ego in the driving seat. Like most musicians, when I was actually gigging 20 odd years ago, I could barely afford to buy new gear, let alone great gear.

Now that I have my own business that is doing well, I can afford to, so I find myself buying stuff that I WOULD have used back then, when I really know that I have no use for it nowadays being pretty much a bedroom player.

Try this trick before your next purchase. Get a trusted friend to come along with you (not necessarily another gear head either), and initially explain to them your reasons for buying this new piece of gear to him/her.

Then, get them to simply ask you "Why?" 3 times. They MUST ask you 3 times, and each time you must give a different answer to the one before. By the third time, you will usually have narrowed down to the core reason of why you are doing this.

Then the hard work begins...

7. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

Sorry.....I've got to ask.....why 6? Shouldn't 1 Electric & 1 Acoustic cover it? ( unless you're in a band).

8. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Supporting Member

I've been there--almost. I still have way too much stuff, but don't think I ever got in as deep as you sound. It was not easy, but I finally started selling some stuff. Every now and then I think about the ones I've sold, and have a twinge of regret, but mostly I never think about them or miss them. Don't let the need to sell become as overwhelming as the gear itself--in other words, just start with one piece. Once it sells, sell one more, and so on. Same with projects--first of all don't buy any more, and if you want to finish them, just start with one. Sure this will take awhile, but I bet you didn't accumulate it overnight either. If you really want a quick purge, advertise it as a collection, schedule a "viewing," and let people make offers. Realize that taking a loss might just be worth the relief of getting out from under some of this stuff.

I cancelled all of my eBay alerts--not sure if that is part of your "addiction,"--if not, try to stop frequenting wherever it is that you see this stuff.

I'm still in the process of lightening the load, and have the same goal as you in terms of fixing all of the stuff I decide to keep to where it is fully functional and cared for...

9. White Cluster

White Cluster Member

INB4 "all ya need is a tele"

10. harpinon

harpinon Member

IMO, the cheaper stuff is worth more in the basement than burning up in the gas tank.
    Don't feel guilty. Just use your free time to get all the loose wires up to snuff.
    I have 15 guitars. About half would sell for $300 or less.
    Money burns fast, but having interesting gear is a collecting hobby.

I used to have a Memphis les Paul when I was a kid. I really wish I still had it. What would you rather have, a lot of guitars and amps or a ton of old paper stamps?

11. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

A pile of crappy guitars and parts aren't worth one great one.

12. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

This gave me an unexpected LOL :lol

You only need two guitars: an acoustic and an electric. Some can narrow it down to only one, but I believe two is still fine.

13. epluribus

epluribus Member

As for playing vs. building, IMHO yours is a legitimate position. There's a ton of folks who dearly love to build race cars, airplanes, medical equipment, and all kinds of stuff they'll never remotely be able to use in their own right. Some of our best-known and appreciated gear mfgrs. fit that description to a T. Even though they don't actually use the stuff they make, unquestionably they know how and why it works and how it can make the user better. Thanks heaven we have those people.

I'm like you...I just love to find out how stuff works...and then abominate it.

--Ray

14. minorseventh

minorseventh Supporting Member

this whole thread is making me feel better. and kind of worse.
    13 guitars and a closet full of projects and parts I "might need someday". im getting ready to move across the country in a few weeks and I have no idea how Im going to move this stuff, yet 10 minutes ago I was on ebay looking for a melody maker that I cant afford and certainly dont need.

15. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

at one point I owned 19 guitars and about a half dozen amps, all of it very nice stuff and I seemed to do alot of talking about equipment and not really playing.

I sold almost all the stuff off, kept the Gibson Firebird my wife bought me for my birthday and kept one amp, an 18 watter I built myself and my time in my music room was about playing the guitar, not playing with the equipment...

16. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I say that if you enjoy collecting and working on the gear and you can afford it (not in financial difficulty because of gear) then do what you like. Some people enjoy cars, others enjoy sports and others like to collect things. If you enjoy it then don't worry about it unless it is causing you more problems than joy (or any problems for that matter).

17. epluribus

epluribus Member

Even better if you share what you do when you can... :beer

18. D.Cooper

D.Cooper Member

Well I can't answer for him but personally I have 4; my strat, my "good" acoustic, a cheaper classical guitar (i have played classical for years so I really need one handy) and my first guitar (that I'm keeping just for the personal value).

So when you think about there are none I could really go without.

19. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

I see it same as 'Harpinon'. Even cashing out a $100 cheapo is only going to get you a tank and a half of petrol, or a days mortgage, or whatever. It disappears right away.

20. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

As someone else said, ask yourself why you have all this stuff surrounding you. Is there a deep-seated reason why you are compelled to buy?

I do the same thing in my own way, but I am in a selling mode right now for the most part and am organizing things to put up for sale, musical and no-musical. I had to break myself of the habit of surfing eBay every night. It was too tempting. "Oh wow! That's so cool! I have to buy it!" Those days are over.

I have a friend, a guitarist I play with, who has about 60 guitars. The last time I asked him-probably two years ago-he had 35. The guy will walk into GC or any other music store and compulsively buy whatever he likes. He walked out a couple weeks ago with one of those new hotrodded Fender Jaguars made in Indoneeeesia. Fiesta Red with humbuckers, $299. Hey, it's his money.

I personally need more than six guitars because I play electric and acoustic, 6 and 12 string, slide guitar and lap steel. And yes, I play in a band and take 4-5 with me every gig.