• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Guitar in Truck 4 Nights

jeahsj

I purchased a $5,000 PRS from a store and we agreed not to ship the guitar on Friday, but wait until Monday due to the extreme weather for the fear the guitar would sit in a trailer all the weekend. FedEx even had on their website there could be delays in shipping. Well, someone screwed up at the store and FedEx picked the guitar up and it arrived in Nashville just after midnight, Friday evening. The guitar arrived at my house on Wednesday. I called the FedEx depot in Nashville and they confirmed the guitar sat in a trailer for 4 nights until it left Tuesday morning. Temperatures were as low as 12 degrees with some parts of the day not getting above 25 degrees. On the box of the guitar it say do not open for at least 24 hours as the store would not be responsible for damage. So of course I would not open the box. I emailed my salesman and asked for a refund as I do not feel comfortable with a guitar sitting for four nights in extreme cold weather. Besides, I clearly instructed them not to ship until Monday. I don’t even want to open the box up at all. I just want to send it back. What would you do?

Buck Woodson

I just had a Gibson 335 come from Spain>France>Canada>Memphis>Austin during the recent Siberian blizzard. It sat in Memphis for many days and nights over a weekend clearing customs. When it arrived the box was nearly destroyed but after 24 hours the case and guitar were fine. Then I lost power for a week during the Texas Ercot power outage debacle. I put it back in its case when the temperature in my house got down to 58°. The lowest the temperature got inside my house was 41°. Many days later after power was finally restored I waited another 24 hours. The guitar is fine.

Paul Rathjen

Silver Supporting Member
I know you’ve probably read horror stories and some people do believe that you should wait 24 hours to let the guitar acclimate. I can’t say as to whether that’s true or not that makes sense logically and scientifically.

I can say that I have never waited 24 hours to open it up when I received a guitar in the cold and I so far haven’t had an issue but that’s not to say that I won’t in the future so just do whatever you think is best and know that most likely I think she’ll be just fine!

We are waiting for the NGD post!

Morpeli

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sure it will be fine! As far as I understand it, those PRSs are built like tanks and not sprayed in nitro...So I'm sure it will be ok. They are guitars made to be toured...

Junkhead

Silver Supporting Member
If it was an acoustic I would care. Either way I would open the box to find out. I would have just get the shippers persmission and then video tape it the opening. That way if anything was found wrong immediately it could be returned.

For a solid body guitar I wouldn’t worry about it at all. Just let it accumulatefor the 24 hours and you should be good.

MagRick

I just had a Gibson 335 come from Spain>France>Canada>Memphis>Austin during the recent Siberian blizzard. It sat in Memphis for many days and nights over a weekend clearing customs. When it arrived the box was nearly destroyed but after 24 hours the case and guitar were fine. Then I lost power for a week during the Texas Ercot power outage debacle. I put it back in its case when the temperature in my house got down to 58°. The lowest the temperature got inside my house was 41°. Many days later after power was finally restored I waited another 24 hours. The guitar is fine.
May I ask why did you get it shipped from Spain?

shupe13

The reality of it is whether you opened it immediately or waited two weeks, if there's damage, send it back. Modern guitars can handle way more abuse than the 50-60 year old guitars that are STILL around.

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
As I see it the issue here is the store not following the agreed direction, and not the condition of the guitar as it will likely be just fine. If I were you, I’d open the box after 24 hours, inspect and play it. If you like it, keep it. If you don’t, return it. From there, I’d avoid doing business with any store that doesn’t do what they say they’ll do. Mistakes happen, but it’s a $5k guitar and you have every right to expect them to follow the agreed direction.

Trending Topics