guitar intonation help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by edwarddavis, Feb 4, 2008.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

just put strings on a guitar , Its has a vintage style tail piece with two intonation allen screws. whats the best way to intonate this guitar . Any easy step by step methods. The strings have been stretched and on it 24 hours . may need more time to settle in. Any intonation help would be great . Thinking of a new tone pro bridge with adjustable saddles . This is a great guitar but no good if it can be intonated which I know it can be, I just dont want to bring it to a shop , not the money but I hate leaving this one. Its that nice.

2. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If your talking about a uncompensated wrap around type bridge I would set the outside E strings correct to start with then checking the remaining strings fine tune from there. This will be a compromise some strings sharp, some flat. Decent intonation can be reached this way, not perfect but very playable if the nut, neck, and frets are in order.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Basically you want the harmonic at the 12th fret to sound the same as the string fretted at the 12 fret when tuned to standard pitch (if that's the way you tune your guitar). First tune your guitar to whatever pitch you'll be using. Then you play the string at 12th fret. And then play the harmonic at the 12th fret and see if they are at the same pitch. If they aren't the same, you'll have to adjust your saddle. Before doing this loosen the string. This will prevent you from stripping the screw(s). Adjusting the scale lenght for proper intonation is called compensation. If the fretted string at the 12th fret is higher in pitch than the harmonic at the 12th fret then the saddle needs to move away a little from the neck. If the fretted note is lower than the harmonic then the saddle needs to be moved a little towards the neck. After you get one string spot on. You go to the next string. Remember to make sure your guitar is tuned when doing this. Because if it is not it will throw everything off.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I just wanted to add that you could google setting guitar intonation. That should give you even more details.

6. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

A good place to start is setting the high E saddle, or break point twice the distance from the fret side of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret. That's generally close to being right on the money give, or take a couple of cents depending on how well the nut is cut.