(guitar is finished/returned) Not good experience with Phil Jacoby of Philtone Guitar Company

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Befuddled, Sep 2, 2017.

1. cugel

cugel Member

some nice shills in this thread
    1 and 4 posts!!

scolfax and Bossanova like this.
  2. pangloss

pangloss Supporting Member

orbiting harmlessly...somewhere near Bethesda MD
    I never said that...I believe I inferred the opposite. What's curious to me is how differing the experiences have been with Phil. I'm used to his time estimates being approximate, at best, but the quality of his work has made this an acceptable trade-off.

I'm fortunate to have the luxury of owning many guitars and therefore waiting a month for a re-fret isn't a major hardship for me. For others, their mileage has obviously varied but I will continue to take all my substantial repairs and mods to Phil.

I'm local-ish to his shop (near DC) and most guitarist around this area seem to know him. They all also seem to have a similar opinion: does great work but isn't fast. Essentially, if the guitar is either valuable or meaningful to me, there's no one else in the immediate vicinity I trust with the job more than Phil. I've dealt with other locals like Action Music and they do good work too but I still prefer to wait for Phil because my experience tells me, he'll always do the job well.

I'm not discounting the experiences of others...nor do I believe they are fabricated. I'm just relaying the opinion I've formed from excellent work Phil has performed for me, over the years.

brbadg, time2kill and rufedges like this.
  3. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Lol.

Me, my post and like counts are all available to shill to the highest bidder! Call me, people! You no longer need to create a special shill profile. I’m your man!

:D

Ampedusa and cugel like this.
  4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

A person who simply relates his own positive experiences while simultaneously acknowledging the negative experience of others does not, I believe, fit the definition of a shill.

John Hurtt, pangloss and SupremeDalek like this.
  5. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

I doubt this sort of thing is the norm for him. Just yesterday I brought in a new Suhr for a setup and he noticed the Floyd nut was super high (kind of disappointing considering their rep for quality). A quick setup became a chisel/file and sanding job and he charged me less than a crap setup at GC even though it took some time. All the while he answered questions, explained things.

He's great at what he does and I suspect the ball just got dropped which I guess happens sometimes.

6. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I’d have to agree that it’s “curious indeed” - if by that you mean that it’s very strange that he would treat some customers so badly while treating others in a fairly normal way.

The only explanation I had come up with is “out of sight out of mind”, but even that doesn’t work for your case since you don’t sit in the waiting room while he fixes the guitar.

How long is your typical wait after dropping off a guitar, and how often do you call back to check on progress?

7. pangloss

I do most setup and electronics work myself and I go to Phil for two things...new bone nut installs and fretboard reshapes and/or re-frets. Phil does the bone nuts while I wait. For the re-frets, I leave my instrument and assume a month, at a minimum.

I dropped a guitar off last week for a slight fretboard re-shape, re-finish and re-fret...maple neck with maple board. As I was leaving, I asked him about how long this would take. I inquired "about a month?" His response was "maybe sooner".

Will it be done in a month or "maybe sooner"? I have no idea and I don't care. I'll take it back in two or three months, if needed, because I've seen the work Phil does and I'll wait out his schedule. Sometimes jobs do get done perfectly on-time. Others take substantially longer. I've learned to live with this uncertainty.

One thing I've noticed about Phil is that when he's going to do any serious neck work, he keeps the guitar in a humidity controlled environment for about a week before starting. In my recent drop-off's case, this is probably wise because I haven't been terribly religious about keeping this guitar hydrated over the winter. This adds to the total time but I'm fine with it.

As far as Phil's reachability is concerned, I've never had a problem in this arena. We tend to communicate via e-mail and he always responds within a day....often multiple times. In this case, I'll check in with him maybe 2+ weeks from now and get a status update. Sometimes he'll just call me, instead of responding to e-mails. Hence, I've never encountered any communication problems.

Once again, I'm not challenging anyone else's experiences...I'm just talking about my own. I have no interest in disproving or invalidating anyone else. The fact that there seem to be so many discordant stories in this thread is weird and they're obviously lots of folks in both camps and I just don't know what to make of it.

8. cugel

cugel Member

It does to me if they only have a single post. The only reason they joined the forum was to point out their positive experience. That's it.

brbadg and Bebop Tom like this.
  9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

OK, that's fair.

10. pangloss

Then I guess I can't be accused of being a shill, at least. :)

11. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

This is somewhat true of most any service-oriented businesses. It comes down to expressing expectations and communication both ways. It shouldn't be ironic that the better service providers are backed up with a lot of work. They take their time and do it right. You want fast, you take your chances...

Example: My local guys www.dangeloguitars.com & http://www.hulseguitars.com/index.html are both outstanding, but being as good as they are, they can sometimes run 3-4 weeks. That's what it can take for quality work. Phil is no exception, but opinions are subjective too. Do you want a so-so fret job you need to bring back ? Same with amps...

One local 'sound repair' shop (no names) changes just the parts in an amp that will "fix" an amp. I personally think the guy is lazy or he's padding his future service revenue (for example) by changing a single filter cap or two in a Fender, and not all. One customer brought his SF Deluxe Reverb there 4 times in ten years ! At $ 200 or so a pop, he could have bought another amp for backup. While this guy told some customers we "change too many parts", we say he's underhanded. Shame on us, we do a 100% cap job (bias, cathodes, main filters), period.

Tommy Biggs and FlyingVBlues like this.
  12. cugel

cugel Member

whatever you say, champ

13. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

@pangloss has been a member since 2015, and so doesn’t fit your own requirements of a "shill".
    Unless he’s a psychic with future-vision or maybe a time traveler, which of course are both realistic possibilities :rolleyes:

14. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

Meanwhile, can someone who has received great service from Phil Jacoby help blastbeat to recover his kit of parts the next time he visits? In the name of fraternity amongst guitar players?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    the_Chris, brbadg, CobaltBlue and 2 others like this.
  15. cugel

cugel Member

Check out his posts

16. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Lame.

17. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

It is.

Curious indeed, nevertheless true. Do some googling.

Bebop Tom and brbadg like this.
  18. pangloss

Just to update: a month and a day, exactly. It will be finished April 15th and I'll be picking my guitar up mid-week.

19. Strat Cat 63

Strat Cat 63 Member

The music world really is a small community and you sometimes have to keep the reigns in because you literally never know "who" you are talking to. That being said where the trouble lies is in today's culture of retail and "immediate gratification" you have to always remember that you are dealing with creative minds which can at times get easily distracted and are not always the best at conducting business. These are not your "Walmart" thinking business people.

lifeson1 likes this.
  20. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

It’s mind blowing to me that with all of the TGP brethren here apologizing for Phil not a single person has stepped up and helped blastbeat out. Is it that much to ask that his material be returned? Really??