Guitar Lead Harmonizing Effect (Boss Super Shifter?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FireBottle, Apr 21, 2008.

1. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I've read a little about the Boss Super Shifter for two-part harmony effect for guitar leads...is this the best option? Basically, I want to be able to play a few tunes in a cover band that currently has only one guitar player. (Thin Lizzy, Allman Brothers, etc.) I don't need it to cover a lot of bases or offer a lot of tricks - just simple lead harmonizing. Can the Boss pull this sort of thing off? Are there other (not-too-expensive) options I should consider? Thanks!

2. Rockprocess

Rockprocess Supporting Member

My experience with this pedal was not very good. Unfortunately, the harmonies are not always spot on. I would definitely recommend trying it out before you buy!

3. ?&!

?&! Member

I had PS-5, and it worked great for what you descibed. The Allman stuff is a little difficult, 'cuz they use a lot of 3rds and 4ths, not just straight diatonic 3rds. For Iron Maiden type stuff, it rules. Just make sure your guitar is VERY in-tune, and run the PS-5 in your FX-loop, or the tracking will be terrible. Good luck!

4. ROKY

ROKY Member

I've been pretty satisified with the original Whammy II pedal since I
    bought it new in '95.

5. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I have a PS-5 on my board currently, and it works great for what you're describing. I also use it for octave up or down effects, and for crazy whammy effects (like Tom Morello's solo on the Audioslave song "Like A Stone." Cool pedal.

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I've got a PS-5. Does the job just fine. I use it more for Queen-style harmonization and a little bit of yngwie when i feel like jerking around. Tracks well when you're in tune. not well when you're off. Also has other cool features and lots of tweakability with delay/mix etc. I'm not holding on to mine anymore though since I don't use it near enough to justify keeping it. I'm just not gonna do harmonies live anymore.

p.s. - FT in the emporium :D

7. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

I have a PS-5 that I got just because I found it cheap in a pawnshop. As one poster mentioned, I never was able to use it for Allman Bros. because their harmonies seem to be all 3rds and 4ths. Also, a lot of stuff requires that you change the harmonization keys quickly.

I've found the tracking to be touchy for harmonies, yet spot-on for fixed interval reproduction... frankly I use it as an octave box only.

Years ago I used a Digitech preamp (2112) that worked pretty well... you could tweak a lot of parameters that let you do 3rds & 4ths for the Allmans & Thin Lizzy, multiple harmonies for the Queen stuff, etc. It also let you assign patches to footswitches so you could copy a patch and change the harmonization key & interval setting.

By running that thing through an EL84 based stereo power amp, it actually sounded pretty good. I oughta dig that thing up, now that I think about it...

8. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

The PS-5 does an excellent job of creating harmonies. They work very well after the overdrive or in the loop.

9. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Yeah you're gonna' need a dedicated Harmonizer for interval control, like the Digitech rack unit already mentioned. The Boss is good for a couple of things like the Page/Zep dual leads in "Bring It On Home" but mostly for synthy/octave stuff. Is there a keyboard player in your band? that might help.

10. enocaster

enocaster Member

Digitech as a new Harmonizer coming out pretty soon.