Guitar lead tone on Pet Sounds "That's Not Me"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by marmalade cream, Feb 13, 2015.

1. marmalade cream

marmalade cream Member

So the production is totally wild on this album, but does anyone know how the tone of the lead guitar on this song was achieved?

I'm talking about the reverb-drenched lick that first comes in at 0:38. That tone has always enchanted me.

Besides the reverb, it sounds doubled to me. Maybe a 12-string electric with a regular electric? Or maybe the lower part of the double is the 6-string bass that Brian Wilson liked to use?

2. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Electric 12 string for sure.

3. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Agree. always loved it. Always thought it was a 12 string electric enhanced by amp and studio 'verb, etc.
    Possibly doubled by gtr. That ol' Spector influence

The percussive lower part w studio echo is great, which would come to fruition w other Pet Sound songs,
    and ultimately, "Good Vibrations"

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

You should hear Brian Wilson do "Pet Sounds" live with his amazing band, which includes The Wondermints and other stellar players like Jeffrey Foskett ... it is a beautiful thing to see those complex tunes (and Smile) done live, and so well.

5. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

I heard many PS songs in the tour BW did w Jeff Beck

(what the heck went awry with the plans of JB later collaborating w BW?!)

6. marmalade cream

marmalade cream Member

I would love to see them live. I have seen the documentary on youtube about the (re)making of Smile, the version that was released in 2004, which had the first live performance of the album. Mind blowing stuff, Wilson is definitely the Gershwin of his era.

7. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I saw a thing about the recording of that album. They showed some footage, and had interviews with players, etc. who took part. The wrecking crew played most of that. Tommy Tedesco told about one song where Brian had him play a mandolin tuned like a tenor guitar (something Tedesco had been known to do before). Might that be it. Also, they said the one Beach Boy who played on almost all of that stuff was Carl. Said he was like Brian's right hand man. They'd be playing in the room and he'd be playing too but sitting next to Brian at the console, plugged directly into the board, usually playing a 12 string. So also might be him. Effects thrown on later.

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm very lucky. We saw the Pet Sounds tour in ~2001 (?), the Smile tour (2008?), and another one lwhen he toured with Jeff Beck (a huge Brian Wilson fan). They did a lot of Pet Sounds and a lot of Smile on that one.

Three superb live shows, Brian has surrounded himself with top notch musicians who love his music and they make it shine.

9. norbulator

norbulator Member

10. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

This tune off of the new upcoming MiniMansions album features Brian Wilson. Readily apparent influence.

http://youtu.be/--a78z8kvww

11. teleman55

teleman55 Member

That be Carl Wilson with the shades on???

12. parker

parker Member

Such a great song! sounds like a 12 string to me...

13. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

12 string through a fender reverb tank and maybe some slight tape warble. High end cut on the verb. Great sound. Great record.

14. marmalade cream

marmalade cream Member

Thanks for the replies, y'all. This album is full of so many wonderful little moments. Sounds like a 12-string is definitely key here. I do remember hearing about that mandolin/tenor guitar thing as well, I believe that is the opening lick on Wouldn't It Be Nice?

Btw my question came about because I've been writing some spacey country-ish stuff, and I was watching Where the Wild Things Are last night. There's a beautiful song on the soundtrack with a very similar tone to Pet Sounds, and I thought to myself - I want this tone on my songs!

The lead guitar comes in around 3:20.

15. marmalade cream

marmalade cream Member

Can any of the Eventide pedals (like the Space) do a credible Fender reverb sound? I've been thinking hard about getting an H9 this year...

16. bob-i

bob-i Member

In the book on the wrecking crew they mentioned Brian calling up one of the guitarists, I don't remember who, on a Sunday saying he had a 12 string part he wanted to record. The guitarist didn't have a 12 string so Brian called a local music store and had a 12 string and an amp delivered to the studio. After the session Brian told the guitarist, "don't forget to take your new guitar and amp with you".

17. Shaft

Shaft Supporting Member

The guitar reverb is almost undoubtedly a live chamber from Western. Now East/West, those three chambers are still in use, and the live room of Studio 3, where much of PS was recorded, looks nearly identical to how it did then. A legendary room. Might be Gold Star.

18. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Hmm. I had an H9 for a while and really didn't like enough about it to keep it. I don't think you'd find that sound on an H9.

19. norbulator

norbulator Member

That's indeed Carl in the pic playing a Ric, though I don't know about the recording.

What a great song.

20. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

According to the liner notes, electric 12 string guitar was played by Glen Campbell on that track.