guitar made form Fat lighter/fatwood?

ModdersAnon

Has anyone ever made or seen a guitar made from fat lighter?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwood

This is the best picture I could find, but doesn't do it justice

If I were to have a custom guitar made, this would be my first choice due to aesthetics.
Although very heavy, It's such a beautiful form of pine. Those amber and yellow streaks just look killer.

I understand it is a difficult wood to shape/work due to its hardness.

Would the extreme density be an issue on an electric guitar? Would it hamper resonance?

Aardvark

Gold Supporting Member
It may be pretty, but it's heavy as hell. I have collected a bunch of it in the woods at my cabin. Late one night my wife got up to add a log to the fire. She didn't recognize it was a log of fat lighter. It was so explosively flammable, it nearly took the whole cabin down. I evacuated the family and went back in with fire tongs, threw the log outside, where it continued to burn for a day. When I tell you it was scary and felt like things were getting out of control, I'm not kidding. Bring that sucker in your house at your own risk. It won't spontaneously combust, but if you ever get it too close to your fireplace, you'll regret not only the loss of your guitar.

Surfreak

I'd say the guitar would sound awful, basically like a hard rubber/concrete guitar. Resonance, even in a solid body guitar, comes from the "acoustic" properties of the wood, as in the tiny air chambers within each wood fiber.
If you take a piece of wood where every air chamber is filled with semi-solidified sap and resin, semi in the sense that they still keep most of their elasticity, you kill that resonance.

robertkoa

There's a type of Pine in Florida they call Dade Pine which is very hard, rot and termite resistant .

Not particularly pretty , but I've wondered whether it would be a good body wood and

possibly even neck wood....

Swamp ash

It may be pretty, but it's heavy as hell. I have collected a bunch of it in the woods at my cabin. Late one night my wife got up to add a log to the fire. She didn't recognize it was a log of fat lighter. It was so explosively flammable, it nearly took the whole cabin down. I evacuated the family and went back in with fire tongs, threw the log outside, where it continued to burn for a day. When I tell you it was scary and felt like things were getting out of control, I'm not kidding. Bring that sucker in your house at your own risk. It won't spontaneously combust, but if you ever get it too close to your fireplace, you'll regret not only the loss of your guitar.
I am originally from yellow "slash pine" country and the Army would buy the stumps from pine plantations and use them to make explosives and gun cotton for artillery. Old houses down there were made from the stuff - hard to drive nails into and impervious to bugs, but when one would burn, it would be an inferno in several minutes.

Good stuff, but probably unworkable for finishing - too much resin.

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
There's a type of Pine in Florida they call Dade Pine which is very hard, rot and termite resistant .

Not particularly pretty , but I've wondered whether it would be a good body wood and

possibly even neck wood....
No, the guitar would sound dade.

Trending Topics