guitar maintenance in general!!!

jazzyguy

well i just got my PRS SE ZM guitar and and the freetboard is to dry, what can i use to give it some moisture ( dont know if im usinf the coorect word)
i know that i have to check the truss road, the action gauge, the octaves, and i been reading that i can use an alchohol swab to clean the freetboard and the use oil lemon, but in other site says that the oil lemon will damage the freetboard

can you help me here and tell me what can i use?

PD the guitar came fron florida state to el paso texas,

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
Rosewood, right? I use fret doctor on my LP. One bottle lasts for years.

Last edited:

Kano6

The climate where I live is quite humid year-round so it's not an issue for me. But I wouldn't use alcohol on the fretboard. There are other ways of loosening grime.

Dan Erlewine says he uses lemon oil to condition the fretboard (Guitar Player Repair Guide 3rd ed., p. 5):

"After cleaning, I occasionally apply a dab of lemon oil to the fingerboard, using a soft rag. Don't use oil every time you change strings; use it only when the fingerboard is dry and in need of it - perhaps several times a year for the average player. If the wood seems exceptionally dry after cleaning, it needs the lemon oil."

I think you don't want to put the dab of lemon oil directly on the fingerboard but instead rub it into the rag and then use that to apply.

mike shaw

Dan also said he likes linseed oil and the StewMac fretboard oil.... Just saying!

The are different types of lemon oil, the typical one is mostly petroleum distallates with a lemon scent. Not good!

You will likely create a firestorm of you need moisture, you don't need moisture along with reccomendations.

So ..... my suggestion (LOL!) is to use a little Fret Doctor. I've used it for years and it works great. Just use sparingly and not very often and you'll be golden.

jazzyguy

Dan also said he likes linseed oil and the StewMac fretboard oil.... Just saying!

The are different types of lemon oil, the typical one is mostly petroleum distallates with a lemon scent. Not good!

You will likely create a firestorm of you need moisture, you don't need moisture along with reccomendations.

So ..... my suggestion (LOL!) is to use a little Fret Doctor. I've used it for years and it works great. Just use sparingly and not very often and you'll be golden.
wow that a great tips i will get a fret doctor one, for now i have a dunlop lemon oil so i will use it, i will also check the fretboard oil from stewmac

thanks for your advice

Davo17

Dont use alcohol it will dry the wood. Consider BLO (boiled linseed oil), I have also used fast fret though it does not last as long.

Trending Topics