Guitar Maker at Refugee Camp in Malawi (Africa)

faithman2k

For me this kind of puts into perspective my tone seeking behaviour. Time to just enjoy what I have.

But I also enjoyed seeing his process of making guitars when compared to the vids I've seen of the various custom shops of Fender, Gibson, et al.

NotWesYet

I can't see either. very interested, though as my best friend's son is in Malawi in the Peace Corp and working withy the kids and their instruments.

slider

Yeah. thanks for posting. Bless this guy, I hope he gets some support. Human industriousness at its best. I bet if you go back in 2 years he'll be making some really accurate guitars.

slider

I hope all the luthiers see this, including Paul Reed Smith, the bigwigs at Fender and Gibson, Mr. Suhr, Tyler, Duncan, etc. A little help from them, like some blem pickups or something, would be huge to this guy, and help the musical life of Malawi, and probably adjacent countries.

Surfreak

Gosh. Very humbling.

It sort of put in perspective all the bs we agonize over here at the TGP, boutique this, custom that, "organic, 3D" tone, "nitro breathes", $X,000? That's a bargain! And all that....

What a great testimony of pride, dignity and ingenuity.

bismark

Thanks for sharing. It shows a lot of people here are taking things for granted.

You get the anti-CNC snobs and sniffers complaining about guitars not being "handmade" enough. Well, you can't get more "handmade" than that. I wonder if they will buy guitars from these Malawian. They probably complain about the paint and hardware robbing tone first.

faithman2k

I wasn't sure how this would go down here, but thank you for the kind responses. It really is an inspiring video. I love seeing people overcome adversity and still keep smiling.

It's close to my heart because my grandparents were refugees when they arrived in Australia many many years ago after WW2. It's good to not forget where you came from.

Trending Topics