• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitar metal flakes refinish question with video.

Soulgolem

Actually is a bass, i'm trying to get a light blue metal flakes finish for my bass, kind of like in this video :

But very noob to this, i read a lot on the subject, but it's hard to get answers because a lot of folks have conflicting opinions, i guess there are many ways to go about this.

So what i want is pretty much what you see in the video, get metal flakes and distribute it around until it looks intense !! :D

Should i apply a clear coat first so that it sticks ? How many coats ?

What i had in mind is

-Clear 1-2 coats so that the flakes stick
-Apply the flakes
-Clear 5-6 coats so that the flakes are protected.

Anything else i should know ?
What kind of clear should i get and where ? I'm in Canada, the brands discussed are rarely available here.

Thanks !!
Francis.

B. Howard

Looks like craft store glitter to me.....Definitely not how I do. I spray the metalics out. House of color and others still do the 70's style big flake paints.

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen threads where guys successfully sprinkled flake and cleared over it. Has to be a mountain of clear, though.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
That is absolutely not how a real metal flake is done. As said that's craft store quality finish and would look pretty dreadful IMO clear coated. It would take a tone of clear to achieve a level finish. If you don't care about the quality of finish then go for it otherwise look into having a qualified painter do it.

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
I did the "salt shaker" method ONCE. I like the optimism of "5 to 6 coats to protect the flake". You'll just barely be getting STARTED at 5 coats doing it that way. Also, if you get colored flake and sand through the clear anywhere, you'll sand the color off the flakes as well and you'll be forever dabbing sharpie over the silver spots.
If you want to do this and are absolutely set against paying someone with the skills to do it, you are going to have to buy a spray gun, compressor, some automotive finish, and some flakes.

Jonny Hotnuts

There is absolutely zero wrong with doing a 'shake in bake' heavy metal flake method.

Start by applying a brush on coat of a clear medium (not fast cure) epoxy on the guitar and apply a little to a piece of cardboard.
Wait till the epoxy is about 50% from cure (use the cardboard sample to test so you dont have to touch the guitar). You just dont want the epoxy dripping when you apply the flake but soft enough that it sticks.

Cover the guitar in flake, after it sets shake off excess.

After cure use a product like Ultra glo to cover the flake. This is self leveling, provides the build and is very clear. You will need to degass with a few quick passes of a propane torch.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/fiberglass/epoxy_resins/ultra_glo_polymer_coating/31

You can level sand and shoot CC after it cures (one day).

This will provide a perfect and easy way to have a large metal flake paint job without needing to shoot flake.

Sure, some will say this wont work or come out right...and some have never tried it. Oh....and using a standard CC to bury flake is nuts.

~JH

Jonny Hotnuts

10646792_10203895512204246_7792088499404462043_n.jpg

This is my 5 year olds mini Les Paul I did using this method.

~JH

Trending Topics

Top Bottom