~GUITAR MIC AND PICKUP~

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by momonone, Apr 11, 2015.

1. momonone

momonone Member

Hi, i nid help... i got a acoustic, a M1, a M80, and a mic, just wanted to know how to blend acoustic pickup sound and mic sound? i want like 40% from pickup and 60% from mic.. What do i need in order to do this?

Please help, thanks.

2. lschwart

lschwart Member

What kind of mic is it?

Louis

3. momonone

momonone Member

akg perception 170.. i forgot to mention, its for playing live not recording... Please help..

4. lschwart

lschwart Member

The main ways in which this is done with an external condenser mic like that are 1) with a small mixer that has at least one mic input with enough phantom power to run that mic and another input channel for the pickup, the latter running either directly or through a DI box or DI/preamp (you'd then go from the mixer output to whatever you're using for amplification), or 2) with one of several available preamp/blenders designed for this use. They range from units that cost only a couple or a few hundred bucks like the DTAR Solstice or Headway EDB-1 or EDB-2, up to more expensive units like the Grace Designs Felix, the Schertler Yellow Blender, or the Pendulum Audio SPS-1. Some acoustic combo amps also offer mic channels that can be used for blending with a pickup. The Zoom A3 is mostly an effects unit, but it also has a mic input for blending with a pickup signal.

Just make sure that whichever unit or amp or small mixer you look into has enough phantom power to run that mic and adequate EQ on the channels to achieve the right blend. Feedback can be an issue, too, depending on how you're ultimately amplifying your signal and the sort of venues in which you're playing.

Louis

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  5. momonone

momonone Member

hey man thanks again! i was thinking of lr baggs preamp but i don think they can do this, maybe i will juz buy the EDB-1. =)

6. momonone

momonone Member

LOL.. EDB-1 NO LONGER AVAILABLE... XD

does the EDM-1 works?

7. lschwart

lschwart Member

Yeah, Baggs doesn't make any 2 channel preamps or any that will take or power a signal from a condenser mic.

Make sure the EDB-1 will power your particular mic.

Louis

8. momonone

momonone Member

hey bro does the ashdown aa preamp pedal can achieve what i want?

http://content.sparkstone.co.uk/3/1/images/catalog/i/xl_ad046da4-3a9b-4b29-8eaf-b2f1ce902d25.jpg

9. lschwart

lschwart Member

10. momonone

momonone Member

noted bro, if i need something portable that can do live and recording, do u have any recomandation?

not sure if this work...

passive guitar pickup > di/preamp(1chanel) & mic> audio interface > mixer(live) or PC(recording)

or

passive guitar pickup & mic > di/preamp(2chanel) > audio interface > mixer(live) or PC(recording)

ok?

11. lschwart

lschwart Member

For live you want to go either:

1) Passive pickup into DI/preamp into an XLR input of mixer channel one. And mic into XLR input of mixer channel 2.

or

2) Passive pickup into channel one of blender/preamp/DI. And mic into channel 2 of blender/preamp/DI. From the the mix out of the blender/preamp/DI you would go into into one XLR channel of a mixer.

You don't need an audio interface to go into a live mixer.

For recording, you would probably want to send both the passive pickup signal through a DI (or directly if it has a compatible input) into one channel of a two channel interface and the mic signal into the second channel of the interface. Then from there to your computer. You'd record the two signals to separate tracks and do your mixing on the computer with your DAW.

Louis

12. momonone

momonone Member

ok man... thanks.. cheers..

13. momonone

momonone Member

Bro, since i wanted to do live and recording stuff, like u said i need blender/preamp/DI for live and audio interface for recording. I was thinking of buying AER colourize instead of HEADWAY becoz there is no HEADWAY in my country and for now i don really have that kind of budget for the AER which is 4++, can i buy a audio interface first make it like pickup to interface chanel 1 and mic to chanel 2 then audio interface to mixer?

i know that i can do it without the interface the problem is i want to get control of the volume etc.. coz when i play at church there is no people controlling the mixer.. Lol

Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  14. lschwart

lschwart Member

It's possible, I suppose, if the interface has line-level outs for monitoring, those could be used to send signals to a mixer. But it's generally better to use the right piece of equipment for a given task, instead of using something designed for one thing for some other task.

When I record, I simply use my small mixer, an Allen and Heath ZED10FX, which has a simple stereo USB connection that lets me hook the mixer up to my computer and record the stereo output. I don't have much experience with the various dedicated audio interfaces out there. For what it's worth, the ZED10FX is a nice little mixer for live work and for very simple recording. And it's not very expensive. It's not as small as the various 2 channel blender preamp/DI's, and you cat really out it at your feet like a pedal, but it would let you send your blended signal to the main mixer at your church (it has a pad on the main outputs that makes it easy to go from them into the mic input or inputs of another mixer), and the USB would let you record a basic stereo mix of your two sources to computer.

Louis

15. momonone

momonone Member

Bro, wow thats great, but i have to carry my guitar etc, there are like 10kg, its kind hard for me, but if u recommend it then i will check in out later =)... if the interface works live then i see which one to buy, i am thinking of focusrite 2i2 or 2i4? (dirt cheap) ITS LIGHT LOLs.. hmm...

THX AGAIN FOR HELPING. =)

16. lschwart

lschwart Member

Best of luck. Let me know how it woks out.

Louis

17. momonone

momonone Member

ok bro.. Cheers!